Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Ben Gurion now charging for (what they call) baggage trolleys

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ben Gurion now charging for (what they call) baggage trolleys

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ditto
Does that even exist in Israel? I always go to the normal counter where they give me the key, my name does show up on the "Gold service" screen but I was never told to go to the office in the parking lot for anything. (except if I find new damages not listed...)
When I was just there the screen said if you see your name below please proceed to the lot downstairs

As for damages it seems they now email both the contract and damage report to your phone, what a PITA it was to get them to print it out
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by craz
When I was just there the screen said if you see your name below please proceed to the lot downstairs
I will ask about it next time might also be the time of day, I always arrive in the very early morning (2AM-5AM) and the office in the parking lot always looks closed at those times.

As for damages it seems they now email both the contract and damage report to your phone, what a PITA it was to get them to print it out
Yes they have been doing it for over a year now, I like it better as I see no point of having a paper contract to begin with, and looking around the car with the image on the phone is just as good.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ditto
I will ask about it next time might also be the time of day, I always arrive in the very early morning (2AM-5AM) and the office in the parking lot always looks closed at those times.

Yes they have been doing it for over a year now, I like it better as I see no point of having a paper contract to begin with, and looking around the car with the image on the phone is just as good.
Dont know the hours that the office is open, but once they move returns to T3 it s/b 24/7 as they have to inspect the returning cars

As for the contracts what about those of us w/o a dumb(smart) phone? Also including last week, when I returned the car I go inside for a final paper receipt and once again it was close to $200 above my confirmation rate. I simply took out my confirmation and she took it to the mgr and adjusted everything. I wouldnt have wanted my phone making the rounds.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:31 am

As for the contracts what about those of us w/o a dumb(smart) phone? Also including last week, when I returned the car I go inside for a final paper receipt and once again it was close to $200 above my confirmation rate. I simply took out my confirmation and she took it to the mgr and adjusted everything. I wouldnt have wanted my phone making the rounds.
Fair enough if you don't have a smart phone...
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, ELAL Platinum, VS Gold
I arrived this morning on LY318 to find the new trolleys now operational. Seems pretty straight forward; you swipe your CC (I pity those without) and pull one out. As long as it's returned within 5 hours - and you remember to then swipe your card again after returning it, the 10nis is credited back to your account. - However....
Upon returning my trolley (which by the way I found to be a huge improvement on the old clanky things that had terrible wheels and were too close to the ground) I inserted my CC (ElAl Flycard) into the machine but couldn't get it out (see white strip just below the orange light in the image below - that's my card).
I looked around for help but was reluctant to go far in case it chose to eject my card for someone else to take. Then I noticed the Help button (see image). one can hear a faint ringing coming from the speaker so I assume it was dialing some office somewhere. No answer, and after about 2 minutes it stops ringing. I pressed again with the same result, and just in case I wasn't expecting too much of Ben Gurion Airport I pressed the button one more time. Still no answer.
Exasperated and exhausted from lack of sleep I did as any Israeli would - I hit the machine once, twice, and finally on the third smack (more out of frustration than actually expecting a result) my card popped out just enough for me to be able to pinch the edge and pull it the rest of the way. Orange light now green and oops it looks like I've caused the software to shut down and the machine to now display a Windows Desktop.
Sorry Ben Gurion but if your service isn't fit for purpose, expect much worse from Sabras.

BTW it was the machine outside Gate 02 on the arrivals (ground) floor.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Calculated Risk; Apr 27, 2017 at 6:15 am
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I also almost lost my credit card both when I collected the trolley and when I returned it when I arrived last night. So typical of Israel really. There must be tens of good off the shelf systems available worldwide which have a proven track record in hundreds of airports, but no: we know better.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikebg
I also almost lost my credit card both when I collected the trolley and when I returned it when I arrived last night. So typical of Israel really. There must be tens of good off the shelf systems available worldwide which have a proven track record in hundreds of airports, but no: we know better.
Thx, I will make sure to take along a CC that usually stays in my sock draw, that way if I cant get it back its no loss
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
You need to be very careful not to push it in too far. If you push it as far as it will go you will have great difficulty getting it out (it may help if you have longish fingernails or a pair of tweezers or pliers around ... not joking).
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:44 pm

What fun! I always wanted to land jetlagged at TLV and have to go fishing for my credit card. bTW I don't know if TSA allows you to carry tweezers. You'd have to put them in your checked luggage but easily accessible.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: DL SM, HH Silver, SPG Gold
Didnt see any sign of any new carts or having to pay for a cart when I arrived @ BG the other day for my departure flight

OT: Hertz hopes to move its drop-off to T3 next month, that should save alot of time, the bad, many times when I returned my Avis car not a single cart was to be found, which is never a problem when Hertz drops me off at the departure level
Same here. Only saw/used the old carts both before & after Pesach.

OT T3: Yes, the Avis guy at T3 said that 'soon' Hertz would be the exclusive rental car company at T3 (both pick up and drop off), and all other companies were moving back to the remote lots. Can anyone update/confirm this?

OT Noach: I will have to use them next time! I've always used Avis because they are the only ones with an office in Nahariya (Sixt doesn't count...) and are almost always cheapest but if I can get a good price with Hertz and have T3 convenience it will be worth it.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk
...Orange light now green and oops it looks like I've caused the software to shut down and the machine to now display a Windows Desktop.
Sorry Ben Gurion but if your service isn't fit for purpose, expect much worse from Sabras.
Don't you know that Israeli technology is made for export only?
We only get to use the bug-ridden pre-beta releases at home.

Last edited by LatusElAl; May 4, 2017 at 11:18 am Reason: Grammar
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Well I finally got to play the BG slots and no problems the 1 big negative was my cart was the only cart that was available for a person who rents with hertz and returns the car to T3.(from what i understand Hertz is the only company now that has returns @ T3) So when I return my car next Mon at an earlier time then I returned my cart the other day, I can see myself facing an empty rack :-(, after all it was empty till i returned my cart

hopefully someone can be of some help, lets assume theres at least 1 cart in the rack at the car return, is there a rack I can return it to inside the Departure check-in area in T3, or would I have to go back outside to wherever the racks are? I would forgo getting a cart if theres no rack inside T3 to return it to,Tia

btw I love the new carts over those old ones, and it beats the $6 youd have to pay in the US for a cart where you dont get your $$ back, also the CC used never showed a temp charge, so I take it as long as you return it before the 5th hour hits your CC will never see any transaction when getting the cart or returning it
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Agree the new carts are a vast improvement over the dreadful old ones.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:31 am
Original Poster

btw I love the new carts over those old ones, and it beats the $6 youd have to pay in the US for a cart where you dont get your $$ back, also the CC used never showed a temp charge, so I take it as long as you return it before the 5th hour hits your CC will never see any transaction when getting the cart or returning it
I also think the new trolleys are a vast improvement, but worry about the credit card readers on the dispensing machines that make it so easy to get your card irretrievable (as described in some earlier posts).
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Yesterday there was a mix of old carts there as well, plus a number of carts (at departures) just lying around.

One thing I really don't like about the new carts versus how they're done abroad - abroad, I find the next cart ready to be taken out (they get pushed up). Here, I had to walk all the way down the aisle (because I couldn't reach the cart from the side and the other side was a wall).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.