Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

I filed a Complaint with DOT against EL AL

I filed a Complaint with DOT against EL AL

Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:24 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Don't be mistaken. I am rooting for you to be successful and then some!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by soliloquy
No, it was outside of the 24 hours but before I actually got someone in NY on the phone. Regardless, you never get a response - they still have not responded to this day.
It's ok that they haven't replied, I was just thinking, that if you e-mailed them within the 24hrs window, you could use that to either get them to refund you the money, or with the CC company.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Several...
Originally Posted by Ditto
It's ok that they haven't replied, I was just thinking, that if you e-mailed them within the 24hrs window, you could use that to either get them to refund you the money, or with the CC company.
I don't think it's okay that 10 days later they still haven't replied (not even to say there was a fee). I wanted them to issue the refund (which already takes awhile) so I could book another flight. But, hindsight is 20/20 for me. I have never had to contact an airline by email so that didn't even cross my mind until I was past the 24 hours.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Don't be mistaken. I am rooting for you to be successful and then some!
Thanks! If I had never checked out this subforum, I would not have wanted to cancel.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by soliloquy
I don't think it's okay that 10 days later they still haven't replied (not even to say there was a fee). I wanted them to issue the refund (which already takes awhile) so I could book another flight. But, hindsight is 20/20 for me. I have never had to contact an airline by email so that didn't even cross my mind until I was past the 24 hours.
lol, it's not that unusual for airlines to take loooong time to reply to e-mails
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Ditto
lol, it's not that unusual for airlines to take loooong time to reply to e-mails
This is how AF deals with 24 hour cancelations, and they take care of it within 2 days.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I don't think you are likely to get help from the credit card company. The policy violated is that of the US DOT and the credit card company won't make a decision based on US DOT regulations but rather on their contract with EL AL, which it doesn't seem EL AL violated.
I do think the CC will reverse the airline charge. When the payment was made, the airline and consumer enter into a contract- which, the consumer has stated- included an option to cancel within 24hours. If the party doesn't make itself available, during the 24hrs, as noted in the contract, then from the issuer of the credit card, the airline has not provided the services provided as they said they would (the ability to cancel within 24hours), and therefore, the consumer is entitled to their funds.

Its almost like fraudulent marketing- they tell you that you could cancel and receive your money back during the 24 hours, but you can't- b/c really its only a 8 hour window due to business hours.
The DOC has every right to examine such practices in terms of what the airline markets to the consumers and what really can be accomplished.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simba8
I do think the CC will reverse the airline charge. When the payment was made, the airline and consumer enter into a contract- which, the consumer has stated- included an option to cancel within 24hours. If the party doesn't make itself available, during the 24hrs, as noted in the contract, then from the issuer of the credit card, the airline has not provided the services provided as they said they would (the ability to cancel within 24hours), and therefore, the consumer is entitled to their funds.

Its almost like fraudulent marketing- they tell you that you could cancel and receive your money back during the 24 hours, but you can't- b/c really its only a 8 hour window due to business hours.
The DOC has every right to examine such practices in terms of what the airline markets to the consumers and what really can be accomplished.
Thank you.

https://www.transportation.gov/airco...ur-reservation
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Update:

Dear Mrs. REDACTED

Following our correspondence, we conducted a thorough investigation into the nature of your complaint with all relevant of offices.

Firstly, we do want to convey our sincere apologies for your experience.

Our sales and service line 1-800-223-6700 is open 24 hours / 7 days a week. During the weekdays MON-THU 9AM to 5PM and Friday 9AM-3PM, all incoming calls are directed to our New York office. When the NY office is closed, including Saturdays and Sundays all calls are directed to our main office in Tel Aviv. Our management team will ensure that indeed telephone calls are being forwarded correctly and to why you were not assisted by our Tel Aviv office.

We understand that your three tickets were sent for refund processing minus cancellation penalty of $250 per ticket. Since you initially contacted El Al within the 24 hours period of creating the booking, we have instructed our accounts department to refund the cancellation penalty of $250 per ticket (total of $750). The refund will be made to the credit card used.

We thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Despite your experience we look forward welcoming you and your family on board our future flights to your complete satisfaction.

Sincerely,

(REDACTED)

Last edited by soliloquy; Feb 21, 2017 at 5:29 pm
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:28 pm

Thanks for the update. I'm glad they were reasonable, even if it took a while!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It took over a month? That's unacceptable if so but glad you got what you were entitled to in the end.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, it took much longer than I thought it would. Two rounds of disputes...and received a response today. But, happy it's over.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:17 pm

While a month is annoying, I do not think it is unreasonable. They needed to verify the reason the change was made in over 24 hours. Unfortunately many people will easily lie to get fees removed. I would guess that verification involved pulling and examining phone records.

I will not back El Al when they mess up, but sometimes they do things correctly. This is one, IMO of those instances.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:07 pm

Really glad this worked out.
What do you think triggered the response? The credit card company or the DOT?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by simba8
Really glad this worked out.
What do you think triggered the response? The credit card company or the DOT?
Definitely the DOT

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.