Search

Strange phone call from LY

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Strange phone call from LY

I had a rather unusual phone call from El Al today. They were trying to sell me on getting a FlyCard but the details they gave me were out of whack.

For a start, I became Silver at the end of the year as part of the "oops we had labor problems" program.

I only have 640 tier points but according to the El Al website my Silver Status remains in effect until Dec 31, 2017.

The sales woman told me that I need to earn 500 points to retain it otherwise it will expire in "July of next year".

"Do you mean that I am going to be Silver until July 2018?", I asked.

"No," she said. "Only until July of next year -- 2017".

"But this year is 2017," I replied.

That seemed to confuse her.

Meanwhile, I am more confused than she was. As I said, the website tells me I am Silver until Dec 31. It also tells me that I need to earn the 500 miles to retain it before it expires. On the other hand, it says that I have to earn 360 points to become Gold. I have no idea how long I have to earn that 360 points, but it almost seems that if I earn 360 points I become Gold but I get demoted back to Silver if I reach 500 points.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Yes, they are pushing the Fly card very hard. They even called me and I have only 200 points.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by Dovster
but it almost seems that if I earn 360 points I become Gold but I get demoted back to Silver if I reach 500 points.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by benberg2013
I read this earlier today and it only "clicked" just now after seeing it again. Actually laughed out loud - how very Kafkaesque!!!

I can envision the calls with customer service now: "No sir, despite the 500 points you are now Silver again. You have proven your ability to fly and spend more, so this is outlined in the agreement and one of her benefits, you see, that the program can to dynamically adapt to your ability and you must now to fly with us some more and earn even more to be at our more prestigious Gold." (To be read with heavy Israeli accent, grammatical errors intentional)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.