Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

2016 EL AL Pilots labor dispute

2016 EL AL Pilots labor dispute

Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:39 pm

TLV-YYZ cancelled Dec 15

El Al flight to Canada grounded for lack of pilots
A El Al flight due to take off tonight from Tel Aviv to Toronto is postponed until the morning due to a lack of available pilots.

According to Army Radio, the El Al pilots’ committee says that a spate of non-scheduled flights — including some by Netanyahu — has led to a shortfall in available staff.
“There are currently no available pilots who can work a four-day flight at short notice. We regret that more than 200 passengers will have to wait until morning,” the committee says.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tlvyyz
El Al flight to Canada grounded for lack of pilots
A El Al flight due to take off tonight from Tel Aviv to Toronto is postponed until the morning due to a lack of available pilots.

According to Army Radio, the El Al pilots’ committee says that a spate of non-scheduled flights — including some by Netanyahu — has led to a shortfall in available staff.
“There are currently no available pilots who can work a four-day flight at short notice. We regret that more than 200 passengers will have to wait until morning,” the committee says.
El Al treats the CDN route like crap. Its really just a low cost plane ride between tlv and yyz.
Lets recall that that AC was first airline to fly the 787 Dreamliner to TLV, and the Toronto-Tel Aviv route was one of the first routes given the by airline to have the plane.
You can bet- that EL Al will continue to fly the 767-300 even after they get their new planes, and the dreamliner will goto BOS, EWR, JFK way before it hits YYZ.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by simba8
You can bet- that EL Al will continue to fly the 767-300 even after they get their new planes, and the dreamliner will goto BOS, EWR, JFK way before it hits YYZ.
LHR first actually...
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:29 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
What kind of compensation is called for in a situation like this (e.g. lost hotel booking) when it's the state's fault?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by moe8555
What kind of compensation is called for in a situation like this (e.g. lost hotel booking) when it's the state's fault?
Please see the thread for more details:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al...l#post27592005

Elal did state in their letter that if we had any direct expenses to send the documentation as well as bank details since it would appear they will compensate for lost hotel bookings and such (but not for lost work days).

They did offer as a good will gesture a $200 voucher on a next flight or 200 points.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by SS255
My aunt and uncle came to me seeking advice, because I'm the "experienced traveler" in the family.

They were on LY 27 last night (11/23), which got outsourced to Hi Fly. They were on the 330-passenger version of the A330-200:

http://www.seatmaestro.com/airplanes...30-200-330pax/

They were on a paid business class ticket. The business class cabin shows 38" of pitch, and according to my aunt and uncle, they could "barely recline." We Flyertalkers understand the physics of a 38" pitch premium cabin, and it is most certainly not a longhaul business class product. The aircraft did not have the range to fly from TLV-EWR, so they had to stop at CDG to re-fuel. Clearly this is a regional aircraft.

I wanted to check in with the experts on the LY forum before recommending that they complain to LY and request downgrade compensation for the return flight. And, does anybody know if the DOT has any jurisdiction here? I would think that they do, since the destination was EWR, but maybe I'm wrong. If they don't get a satisfactory resolution, I will suggest that they dispute part of the charge with their credit card company.
After being blown off by LY for 2 1/2 months, my aunt and uncle were shocked when LY came back to them (on February 12) and issued a voucher for 2 free R/T business class tickets. After swearing they would never fly LY again, they're now planning their next trip La'aretz.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
After being blown off by LY for 2 1/2 months, my aunt and uncle were shocked when LY came back to them (on February 12) and issued a voucher for 2 free R/T business class tickets. After swearing they would never fly LY again, they're now planning their next trip La'aretz.
Happy to hear it worked out, dare I even say they ended up with an even better deal than they bargained for! Not only did they actually fly the original flights in seats that, while worse than full-fledged business, were still better than plain economy class, but now they will also get to fly again in the real deal!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Tell them if they want to visit a kibbutz in the Galilee they would be welcome guests -- it's something I owe my Secret Santa from a few years ago.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by moe8555
Happy to hear it worked out, dare I even say they ended up with an even better deal than they bargained for! Not only did they actually fly the original flights in seats that, while worse than full-fledged business, were still better than plain economy class, but now they will also get to fly again in the real deal!
Agreed! ^
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
Tell them if they want to visit a kibbutz in the Galilee they would be welcome guests -- it's something I owe my Secret Santa from a few years ago.
Done!!! I'll let you know if they want to take you up on your offer.

Santa (or, rather, Maccabee?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.