Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

2016 EL AL Pilots labor dispute

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 EL AL Pilots labor dispute

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by B_Rosenthal
Sorry... what I mean is that if LY is on full strike, I doubt very much that other airlines have the capacity to fly stranded LY passengers out of TLV... or am I wrong?
There would be no one particular airline that could handle it but all the other airlines combined might well be able. This assumes, however, that pax are willing to connect instead of flying non-stop.

Almost every legacy carrier that flies into TLV, for example, could get me to the US with a connection. I have an LY reservation to Venice and it could be replaced by one on AZ, connecting in Rome; one on Turkish Air connecting in Istanbul; one on KLM, connecting in Amsterdam, and a host of other airlines.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
What's the difference if LY is already having a full strike?
What a strange comment...
Surely you cannot believe it makes no difference whether it's just LY striking, or the entire airport?

While other airlines may not be able to accommodate all effected LY passengers, they are still likely to be able to handle some of them, plus people will have the choice to book other options while LY isn't one.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:05 am

What's the difference if LY is already having a full strike?
Well, that's simple, if only LY strikes, everyone who was smart enough not to book LY will still be able to fly
Old Nov 18, 2016, 9:12 am
Original Poster

From the jpress:

The company is in the midst of a propaganda war against its pilots, and it regularly publishes details of its efforts to convince individual pilots to come to work alongside their excuses and outright failure to answer their phones. The pilots for their part blame the company of outright lying to the public, showing how the pilots in question were never contacted.

The following is translated from Friday’s Hebrew ad:

“To Our Traveling Public,

“Recently you’ve experienced many difficulties on some of the flights. We apologize for it from the bottom of our heart. Disagreements with company pilots have turned into sanctions and a lobbying campaign resulting in damages to you, the passengers, intended to pressure the company, its managers and employees.

“We’ve been investing all our resources in order to resolve the crisis and to carry you once again to every destination punctually, with dedication and safety.”

The ad concludes with the company’s gratitude for its passengers’ loyalty and a commitment to resolve the crisis speedily.

I think it was a dumb move to advertise problems like this, but typical of the airline- i recall one of my flights be cancelled and they gave me a postcard with an apology, along with 2 pieces of chocolate. Saying sorry just doesnt cut it. Actions speak louder than words.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
It's already having an effect on me anyway - I have a few trips planned over the next few months and no way I'm booking LY, even if their schedules are the most convenient, because I just don't believe the schedules.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by simba8
From the jpress:

The company is in the midst of a propaganda war against its pilots, and it regularly publishes details of its efforts to convince individual pilots to come to work alongside their excuses and outright failure to answer their phones.
This is an incredibly stupid move by El Al. Yes, it would make sense if the passengers were to vote on whether the pilots should go on strike or not but, of course, that will not be the case.

It accomplishes just two things:

a. It will strengthen the pilots' resolve, making a strike more likely.

b. It tells passengers that El Al's pilots are untrustworthy and only interested in what is best for themselves. Are those character traits passengers want in the men who are responsible for their safety?

This is the kind of public relations release I would put out if I wanted to be certain of destroying the airline.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:56 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Dovster
Why would Israeli pilots get a cost of living adjustment for living here? Yes, foreign corporations may give that to employees they transfer to Israel but Israeli companies don't give it to Israeli citizens.
I think his point was that you can't just look at US salary vs Israeli salary, but rather you need to also take into account the cost of living. A pilot making USD 200K / year living in Manhattan isn't going to be doing as well as a pilot making the same salary living in Birmingham, Alabama.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I think his point was that you can't just look at US salary vs Israeli salary, but rather you need to also take into account the cost of living. A pilot making USD 200K / year living in Manhattan isn't going to be doing as well as a pilot making the same salary living in Birmingham, Alabama.
True enough, but does Delta pay Manhattan-based pilots more than it does those who live in Birmingham?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:49 am

True enough, but does Delta pay Manhattan-based pilots more than it does those who live in Birmingham?
I've only lived in Israel for 3.5 years and it was definitely not a cheap place to live. (don't know about housing, since I lived in the Sheraton hotel paid by my company for the duration) Almost as the Chicago suburb that I'm living in right now.

Back to the LH pilots... after reading all the recent articles on the issue, I think I stand with the pilots. The management is be very unreasonable and borderline unethical.

Last edited by B_Rosenthal; Nov 19, 2016 at 11:59 am
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:59 am

I've only lived in Israel for 3.5 years and it was definitely not a cheap place to live.
I have lived here since 1979 and, you are right, it is not a cheap place. That said, LY pilots are in a much better financial condition than the overwhelming majority of Israelis.

I know of no Israeli company which hires local residents at the rate they would earn in a less expensive country and then adds a COLA to make up for the fact that Israel is expensive. Why should LY be any different?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:07 pm

I have lived here since 1979 and, you are right, it is not a cheap place. That said, LY pilots are in a much better financial condition than the overwhelming majority of Israelis.

I know of no Israeli company which hires local residents at the rate they would earn in a less expensive country and then adds a COLA to make up for the fact that Israel is expensive. Why should LY be any different?
as expensive as it is, I still wish to go back to Israel and live there again. (either that or Hawaii, my 2nd favorite place... which strangely enough, was relatively cheap to live, as a resident)

LY and its pilots should take a chill pill and come to a sensible solution. Do they use third-party arbitration(either governmental or private)?

On a totally unrelated issue... Oreo cookies made in Mexico taste like cr*p and I can't see to find any made in USA ones around me anymore.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: A3*G
list for today:

PEK is delayed from 21:30 to 8:00
BKK is cancelled
EWR is cancelled
AMS is delayed from 6:15 to 8:15
MXP is delayed from 6:50 to 15:30
Old Nov 19, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G

Back to the LH pilots... after reading all the recent articles on the issue, I think I stand with the pilots. The management is be very unreasonable and borderline unethical.
The pilots are "premium bus drivers" no reason for them to get CEO pay check
Old Nov 19, 2016, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by travel agent
list for today:

PEK is delayed from 21:30 to 8:00
BKK is cancelled
EWR is cancelled
AMS is delayed from 6:15 to 8:15
MXP is delayed from 6:50 to 15:30
In addition to the flights delayed or cancelled, I can not find a single El Al flight which has not been outsourced to a different company.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Houminer
The pilots are "premium bus drivers" no reason for them to get CEO pay check
how much do El Al 777 captains make on average? how does that compare to surgeons in hospitals in Israel?

I'm asking because my next-door neighbor is an orthopedic surgeon at a large hospital here. She makes around $470,000 a year. (the mailman accidentally put her tax return in my mailbox and I opened it by mistake last year) I know a couple of United Airlines pilots who makes about half that.(just under $200,000) On the other the other hand, I know my neighbor went through 10 years of medical school to get to where she is now. (not to mentions she once told me that she still had almost $300,000 in student debt, which she is paying off as slowly as possible because the interest rates are much more favorable with student loans)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.