Israel Railways to TLV rant

Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
Nothing special about those dates that I know of. I did not check Nahariya, I checked Kiryat Shemona, which is closer to where I live.
Seems to be the same price to return in Tiberias, not sure if that is any closer to your Kibbutz.

Also, if you are not Israeli you would not have to pay VAT but I would -- and that adds 17% on (and the 17% is added on the one-way fee, the airport fee, and the Super CDW as well as the basic cost).
Yes I did put the 17% VAT into my calculation, I once rented with Avis in Eilat and returned in TLV, I didn't pay any extra 'one way fee' on top of what was already included in the pre-paid voucher, also for Avis airport fee is indicated as included in the pre-paid voucher.

$94.74 for Sixt one way
65 for Avis one way
Call it 20 for Super CDW
Add 17% VAT and you get to 200, it does exclude fuel though
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:05 pm

Here is an idea for Dovster and others. How about start a Kibbutz Car Share Program where you drive a car(for the cost of fuel) to Ben Gurion(where a Kibbutznick would pick it up) or to a Kibbutz the night before near Ben Gurion then are driven to the airport. Someone is allowed use of that car and then when you return you drive the same car back to Ben Gurion or take another car that needs to be dropped off at a Kibbutz near your Kibbutz and are given a ride to your Kibbutz.

Or you may start up a service where you have a small Mercedeas Sprinter Van and drive other Kibbutznicks to the airport and in return they will drive you when you need to travel. You could spend the night at a Kibbutz near Ben Gurion and then drive other people who need rides in that direction back to your Kibbutz.

Perhaps Dan Cars could sponsor this.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
This would not be workable where I live. There are four kibbutzim within a reasonable distance from each other and most members do not fly more than once a year (I am the major exception to the rule). Besides, I am the very rare kibbutz member who flies Biz Class and can take two checked bags. Those flying with only one bag would find the train much easier.

Actually, this trip in December worked out pretty well for me using a kibbutz car. Our general rule is that a car cannot be taken for more than six days, but as December is usually cold, and often wet, where I live most kibbutz members don't take pleasure drives leaving more cars available, so the rule was waived in this case.

I will leave the kibbutz at 5 am on Dec 11, letting me arrive at my girlfriend's house in Ramat Aviv before rush hour begins. As it will be my birthday, my daughter will come down from Haifa and my son from Ramat HaSharon and the four of us will go out to dinner together to celebrate.

I will stay at her house for the night of the 11th, get to bed very early on the 12th, and leave her house at 0300 on the 13th to drive to the airport. My return flight at 14:40 on the 20th, and while I could take Rte 6 and miss the Tel Aviv rush hour, I would hit the Haifa afternoon rush hour at Yokne'am and not be free of it until after Karmiel. Besides, after taking the water taxi to VCE and then flying into TLV, I may be too tired to make that drive.

Instead, I will drive back to her house, spend the night there, and drive back to the kibbutz late the next morning and miss all the traffic.

I'll have to pay for 8 days in the parking area near the terminal in order to get a cart for my luggage, but I can live with that.

Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Sounds like a plan!
Old Oct 29, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
This would not be workable where I live. There are four kibbutzim within a reasonable distance from each other and most members do not fly more than once a year (I am the major exception to the rule). Besides, I am the very rare kibbutz member who flies Biz Class and can take two checked bags. Those flying with only one bag would find the train much easier.

Actually, this trip in December worked out pretty well for me using a kibbutz car. Our general rule is that a car cannot be taken for more than six days, but as December is usually cold, and often wet, where I live most kibbutz members don't take pleasure drives leaving more cars available, so the rule was waived in this case.

I will leave the kibbutz at 5 am on Dec 11, letting me arrive at my girlfriend's house in Ramat Aviv before rush hour begins. As it will be my birthday, my daughter will come down from Haifa and my son from Ramat HaSharon and the four of us will go out to dinner together to celebrate.

I will stay at her house for the night of the 11th, get to bed very early on the 12th, and leave her house at 0300 on the 13th to drive to the airport. My return flight at 14:40 on the 20th, and while I could take Rte 6 and miss the Tel Aviv rush hour, I would hit the Haifa afternoon rush hour at Yokne'am and not be free of it until after Karmiel. Besides, after taking the water taxi to VCE and then flying into TLV, I may be too tired to make that drive.

Instead, I will drive back to her house, spend the night there, and drive back to the kibbutz late the next morning and miss all the traffic.

I'll have to pay for 8 days in the parking area near the terminal in order to get a cart for my luggage, but I can live with that.
You should do the valet parking at the airport. You drop off right outside of entrance 32 in front of the terminal (lots of carts) and for 8 days it's 364NIS (33 per day plus 100) which is a lot less than the parking near the terminal (80 per day). You could also park short term near the terminal, check your bags and then move the car to the long term parking lot.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYTA
You should do the valet parking at the airport. You drop off right outside of entrance 32 in front of the terminal (lots of carts) and for 8 days it's 364NIS (33 per day plus 100) which is a lot less than the parking near the terminal (80 per day).
I did that a year ago and it was fine except for two things -- they give no ticket so there is no way to prove that you checked a car and they were worried about staying in business because the taxi companies were objecting and giving them a legal battle.

Do you know how this worked out and if they are still in operation?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:28 am

I did that a year ago and it was fine except for two things -- they give no ticket so there is no way to prove that you checked a car and they were worried about staying in business because the taxi companies were objecting and giving them a legal battle.

Do you know how this worked out and if they are still in operation?
Used it last week. It's still as sketchy as it ever was. Don't understand why they can't just give a ticket of some kind.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:42 am
Original Poster

I don't remember if they are on the arrivals or the departures level. Which one is it?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 12:55 pm

I don't remember if they are on the arrivals or the departures level. Which one is it?
Departures
Old Oct 29, 2016, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
And how to pick up the car upon arrival back?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by benberg2013
And how to pick up the car upon arrival back?
They meet you at the terminal with the car
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I haven't used Tassim for parking at BGN for a while - here is their website , but I was very happy when I did. I agree, the lack of receipt is a little disconcerting, but since I booked on the Web I had that as some sort of proof.

http://www.tasim33.co.il/price-list.php (Hebrew)

Worked well at both ends, no delays.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.