Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Will LY receive their 1st 787 for Summer 2017?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will LY receive their 1st 787 for Summer 2017?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:13 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by joshwex90
We'll see how long BA continues with F (on this route, at all, etc.). KE isn't a major competitor of LY and even if LY uses their 787s to reach the Far East, that should hardly be a deciding factor on the question of F. As for LX, they don't have F service, and assuming they haven't swapped the aircraft, I don't think they really allow anyone in those seats except HONs and maybe SENs. As a non-M&M *G, I was booked in F, including F on the USA-ZRH leg, but no luck sitting in F seats ZRH-TLV. Booked on F ticket through LX, *G, and willing to pay money to sit there but no dice
Regarding the option to seat in LX F for extra charge see here: https://www.swiss.com/israel/EN/First-Class-Seating

As for BA, every time I have flown BA164/5 F was full. Also, they have previously operated 164/5 with 3-class aircraft but switched to 4. It could be related to aircraft availability, however F may indeed be profitable for them.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by gordo6
Regarding the option to seat in LX F for extra charge see here: https://www.swiss.com/israel/EN/First-Class-Seating

As for BA, every time I have flown BA164/5 F was full. Also, they have previously operated 164/5 with 3-class aircraft but switched to 4. It could be related to aircraft availability, however F may indeed be profitable for them.
I'm pretty sure the LX F site is new(ish) because it wasn't like that a couple of years ago.

As for BA, I'm not saying F isn't doing well for them, but they've been perfectly fine sending non F equipped jets, including to other destinations (not Israel), and F is anyways dwindling. They havent't specifically said something, but I don't know how much longer it lasts
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by joshwex90
As for BA, I'm not saying F isn't doing well for them, but they've been perfectly fine sending non F equipped jets, including to other destinations (not Israel), and F is anyways dwindling. They haven't specifically said something, but I don't know how much longer it lasts
They have 'specifically said something', to a number of their heavy customers from TLV, that they put back F on at least one daily flight on the TLV route as a result of many complaints from passengers who wanted to book F through to other routes, mainly the USA.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by mikebg
They have 'specifically said something', to a number of their heavy customers from TLV, that they put back F on at least one daily flight on the TLV route as a result of many complaints from passengers who wanted to book F through to other routes, mainly the USA.
So I guess that means the early morning flight? (Soon changing to 06:15?)
And will there be F on the 787 when it comes into operation?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by benberg2013
The early morning flight departs at 6:15?!? Since when? I'm booked for the winter and it is on 7:50...
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
The early morning flight departs at 6:15?!? Since when? I'm booked for the winter and it is on 7:50...
Im booked end winter - 06:15
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:57 am

Im booked end winter - 06:15
I have looked earlier today and it seems to be at 7:50 during the entire winter season... which day are you flying?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:13 pm
Suspended

I have looked earlier today and it seems to be at 7:50 during the entire winter season... which day are you flying?
Yeah it seems just that week when I'm going - flight between Sun 26 march until thursday 30 march departs at 06:15 arrive Lhr 09:40, then april changes to 07:15 arrive 10:40.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by mikebg
... which also helps us get full utilization of our GUF2's!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
When I initially noticed the 6:15 flight a while back (I was looking at similar dates to you) I too thought they were changing the 162 departure time for the winter, which would make a lot of sense since the earlier departure out of LHR (no red eye) meant the aircraft was overnighting at TLV, but then I saw it was just for one week for some reason.
Shame because an early departure like that means you really do get the whole day in London, or can connect to first flights out to the US.

As for the 787s, no F on them, as they use the 788 to TLV.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:39 am

Reuters: Israel's El Al looks to new planes to reassert dominance http://www.reuters.com/article/us-is...-idUSKBN144128
Summary:
  1. The average age of its 19-strong long-haul fleet of Boeing 767s, 747s and 777s is 18 years, with 14 of them more than 21 years old. By contrast Turkish Airlines, the second-largest carrier operating in Israel after El Al, has a fleet that averages four years for its long-haul 777s and Airbus A330s.While planes can fly for over 20 years if they are well maintained, many rivals have younger fleets.
  2. The dispute, which led to delays and cancellations, has now been resolved. But the row, along with the carrier's ageing fleet, tickets that are often hundreds of dollars more expensive, and fierce competition, has tested the loyalty of many Israelis who still prefer to fly El Al because of non-stop flights, tough security and Hebrew-speaking crews.
  3. From a 50 percent share of all flights to and from Israel a decade ago, the airline barely retains a third of the market and is losing share by the month. Its share price is down by about 12 percent this year. Jerusalem resident Robby Berman said he would prefer to fly El Al but each time he does, the video screens and audio don't work and movies are "10 years old"
  4. Experts believe it could take at least another year - when new long-range aircraft finally join its fleet for flights to North America and Asia - for El Al to begin winning back customers who turned away from it.

Very interesting article.

I question the point of LY even bothering to say that security is so paramount given the leases this past year. Clearly flying foreign pilots, with foreign FA's on a foreign plane suggests that security isnt so paramount- and something is negligible and not important enough to their brand overall to maintain at all costs.

Its hilarious that with the average age being 21 years, if you think about the 767s, those planes MUST be around 30+ years.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by simba8
Its hilarious that with the average age being 21 years, if you think about the 767s, those planes MUST be around 30+ years.
16-25 years actually...
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
LY faces competition to North America that utilizes modern aircraft with lie-flat seats in business. The only advantage to me in YYZ for LY is that they fly a redeye westbound which is better than wasting the whole day.

That's in J, I'd think LY's ancient fleet in Y might actually be better with more padding and more pitch/width than the newfangled 10-across 777-Y; and to Europe at least they fly the rough equivalent of US domestic F rather than the horrendous Euro-Y.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
and to Europe at least they fly the rough equivalent of US domestic F rather than the horrendous Euro-Y.
Which gives them an advantage over the likes of LH, OS, AZ etc, but there are others out there like BA, LX and IB offer proper long haul products on the route.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by clubman
Which gives them an advantage over the likes of LH, OS, AZ etc, but there are others out there like BA, LX and IB offer proper long haul products on the route.
I agree in general. However, LX is 1 flight at an absolutely horrendous time (3:25A arrival), BA is only the UK and they compete with LY widebodies, I can't speak to IB but its only one other city.

LY does have a golden opportunity to use the 787 to renew its long-haul product, particularly in J. I for one look forward to seeing them in YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.