Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No bassinet available

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: LY Plat, AF Gold, Cathay Emerald, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Sixt Plat, *wood Gold, Hilton Diamond, ...
No bassinet available

I booked a CDG-TLV flight, Business class, with a 3 month old baby.
I called to select the bassinet and they told me that it was already reserved since this is open to everyone and they could not change it even if the people did not have a baby...
What can I do? Any experience? It is not good for a baby to spend 5 hours in our hands and not comfortable for us...
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Did you book direct or through a travel agent? If you booked with a travel agent, then speak to your agent. If you booked direct (or through a 3rd party booking service), then try escalating with LY to a supervisor if need be. They are supposed to reserve those for pax with infants
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Are bassinet seats really open to all?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:50 am

You do realize if the seatbelt sign is on the baby can not be in the bassinet!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubman
Are bassinet seats really open to all?
According to LY, they should only be open to pax with infants until the gate. But when has an LY rule ever meant anything?

Originally Posted by awayIgo
So?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
What has that got to do with it?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, that's not completely accurate. The bassinet is secured on and you can secure the baby in the bassinet. True that you hold the baby for taxi, take-off, and landing, as well as if there's major turbulence. But fly UA or AA and you'll find the seat-belt sign on for virtually the entire flight.

The general rule of thumb is that if the FAs shut down in-flight service, take baby out. If FAs are willing to walk around handing out drinks, baby can stay in bassinet.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
According to LY, they should only be open to pax with infants until the gate. But when has an LY rule ever meant anything?
Very true.

By the way, with LY they will allocate you a bassinet seat (in theory...) up until 9 months old, while with BA it's 2 years.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very true.

By the way, with LY they will allocate you a bassinet seat (in theory...) up until 9 months old, while with BA it's 2 years.
They have basically the same restriction of 11-13 kg being the maximum. That's usually around 1 year, so although BA offers to infants up to age 2, practically they're not.

That being said, LY is annoying. We requested it for our flight in September and were told, "no, since your child will be 8 months old." I responded (through my travel agent):
  1. The maximum is 9 months, so we should be fine
  2. My baby will still be under 8 months both ways, and you know this since you have her passport info!
  3. If you're nervous due to the weight (which they said was an issue), we flew last and a 10 month old baby had the bassinet who weighed 10 kg. She will be nowhere close considering she's been in the 6th percentile since birth!

They relented, though we'll see on board what happens
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
They have basically the same restriction of 11-13 kg being the maximum. That's usually around 1 year, so although BA offers to infants up to age 2, practically they're not.
You mean they won't actually provide you with a bassinet on board? Because they'll certainly let you take the seats.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You mean they won't actually provide you with a bassinet on board? Because they'll certainly let you take the seats.
Correct, they won't provide the actual bassinet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.