Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

LY Luton promo to switch from EasyJet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S

Is my mind playing tricks or didn't there used to be some kind of insanely low-ball walk-up offer at LTN where LY tempted you to ditch your EasyJet ticket and fly with them? It was available same-day subject to capacity.

I have a friend who's just had to cancel her trip to TLV for a wedding tonight - completely ruined by both airlines' total stupidity.

There was a fire alarm at LTN so all the baggage handlers downed tools and evacuated, meaning she couldn't check her bag on time for her 07.05 U2 departure - fair enough. As soon as the problem was cleared, the plane was reported delayed by 90 minutes but EasyJet then refused to take her bag as it was then too close to the original departure time.

Remembering the above offer, I sent her to the LY desk to see if she could get a paid ticket on the 09.40, which at that point showed 6 seats available in Y. Online it was possible to buy a single or return for about the same $500, which she might have paid and then either had insurance or EasyJet reimburse, or at least got EasyJet to reimburse whatever their original return ticket cost was.

LY told her they could not sell her a ticket over the counter - this was around 8.15am, well before the flight - and insisted she call the ticket office, which in the UK was closed. Although seats showed up online, the booking wouldn't complete as it was within 2h of the flight.

Once I realised all this, I called the office in Israel on her behalf, and was put on hold for some 40 minutes.

By the time I got through to an agent, it was too late to do anything, and in any case they could not understand why LY at LTN couldn't sell her a ticket.

So my friend has missed the wedding, but for future reference, I wondered if anyone can provide a link to the above promo (even if it's no longer applicable, simply because i wonder if my mind is playing tricks on me), or shed any light on why the desk at LTN couldn't sell her a ticket when seats were available.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
I know someone in TLV who flew BA to LHR, and came too late to check in the case, so he just took it through security, and check it in by the gate.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by benberg2013
I know someone in TLV who flew BA to LHR, and came too late to check in the case, so he just took it through security, and check it in by the gate.
Yes, she was told by EasyJet's customer services people that this wasn't possible, and she was only coming for 3 nights so could have coped on HBO but ditching the bag at left luggage was only suggested once she finally spoke to them having waited an age and the flight had gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.