New E-Passport Machines

Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:12 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
It was great on departure to use my biometric US passport in the machine. We avoided a big crowd with no concept of lines.

Now if we could get the same benefit on arrival that would make a huge difference. Last time the passport line getting into Israel was an hour in a crowd that had no regard for a line or queue. People were crushing and cutting in front and all sorts of unpleasant. I would pay extra to use the machine! lol.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by ijkh
It was great on departure to use my biometric US passport in the machine. We avoided a big crowd with no concept of lines.

Now if we could get the same benefit on arrival that would make a huge difference. Last time the passport line getting into Israel was an hour in a crowd that had no regard for a line or queue. People were crushing and cutting in front and all sorts of unpleasant. I would pay extra to use the machine! lol.
This reminds me of an old joke: An American, a Russian, and an Israeli go to a bakery in Athens and see a sign which says, "Stand in line for bread, please."

The American asks, What is a "line''?"

The Russian asks, What is "bread"?"

The Israeli asks, What is "please"?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:06 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Originally Posted by Dovster
This reminds me of an old joke: An American, a Russian, and an Israeli go to a bakery in Athens and see a sign which says, "Stand in line for bread, please."

The American asks, What is a "line''?"

The Russian asks, What is "bread"?"

The Israeli asks, What is "please"?
Too true! I have to say I love Israel.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by ijkh

Never going to happen. Happy to let foreigners leave using the machine (since no reason to hold you in) - no chance they let foreigners in without an agent talking/looking through your passport. Machine has no idea where you were or what is stamped in your passport.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
This is embarrassing for Israel. A country that asks its citizens to be "ambassadors" when traveling abroad, and this is how we greet foreigners (and those returning "ambassadors")

In the attached link, you can see how anyone without a biometric passport is being treated. The article is in Hebrew but the videos are self-explanatory.

This is ridiculous because lines in the Interior Ministry are oppressively long and they're reminding people who have a valid non-biometric passport not to renew, because of those lines. But when that person gets to the airport, they are told, you should have had a biometric passport to avoid these ridiculous lines. And obviously, there's no help for foreigners.

Why can't they open ALL the passport lines, especially during the summer, so as to help shorten the lines?!תיעוד: תורי ענק בנתב"ג (Watch: [Ridiculously] Long Lines in TLV - Hebrew, Mako/Channel 2)
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:32 am

This is indeed very bad, but nonetheless it is not unique to TLV.
If you spend some time around the KL/AF forums, you will see exactly the same complains during rush hours.

I'm assuming they do not have enough employees to open all the passport lines all the time, and having no proper queuing system in place doesn't help.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This should probably become its own dedicated thread, but I'll add this as well. Interview with the head of security at IAA. Discussing both the terrible lines and the issue with the disreputable taxi drivers taking advantage of tourists.

תיעוד: תורי ענק בנתב"ג - תכנית חיסכון, חדשות 2
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto
This is indeed very bad, but nonetheless it is not unique to TLV.
If you spend some time around the KL/AF forums, you will see exactly the same complains during rush hours.

I'm assuming they do not have enough employees to open all the passport lines all the time, and having no proper queuing system in place doesn't help.
True other airports have issues, but TLV has few passengers and for years has managed to better handle the lines. I don't want to get into any comparison with AMS because that means we've already lost!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:05 am

TLV airport handled almost 18M pax in 2016.

For comparison, AMS handled about 40M OD pax in 2016, so roughly double, but there is one huge difference, and that is AMS has a lot of Schengen traffic pax who doesn't pass through immigration, so yes maybe the size of the airport is different, but the amount of OD pax going through immigration might not be so different.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:08 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Please keep on the topic of the actual E-Passport machines.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Moderator, EL AL Forum
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by shuly
Regular (Israeli) passports. I used it both ways (out and in) last week. No card required.

Shuly
Is there an age requirement? My son-in-law is flying back in 10 days with 2 kids aged 4+5 and all have regular Israeli passports. Can they all use these new machines? On one passport, the 4 year old has a passport that was issued when he was 6 months so there is absolutely no resemblance between the passport pix and how he currently looks.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
Happy to report that the Biometric passport on departure worked for both Canadien and American biometric passports. The facial recognition needs you to remove glasses if you have them.
Looks like they have rolled out this out for all passports departing. Usually I use the dedicated machines on the side, as I had a biometric passport- but now they have a machine in front of the booths where you used to give over your passport to someone to review, but now- its just some random person who scans your passport on the machine for you- no questions asked.It took like 10 seconds.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by hnussbacher
Is there an age requirement? My son-in-law is flying back in 10 days with 2 kids aged 4+5 and all have regular Israeli passports. Can they all use these new machines? On one passport, the 4 year old has a passport that was issued when he was 6 months so there is absolutely no resemblance between the passport pix and how he currently looks.
Originally Posted by simba8
Looks like they have rolled out this out for all passports departing. Usually I use the dedicated machines on the side, as I had a biometric passport- but now they have a machine in front of the booths where you used to give over your passport to someone to review, but now- its just some random person who scans your passport on the machine for you- no questions asked.It took like 10 seconds.
Has been so for years!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Are these machines hooked up to the Border Patrol database? I was told that if you owe a debt and it is reported, the Border Patrol will stop you before leaving the country.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, obviously the machines are hooked up to PIBA. To say, "if you owe a debt...the Border Patrol will stop you before leaving the country" isn't fully accurate. Under certain circumstances, the court will issue an order barring you from leaving the country. In that case, you cannot leave, irrespective of whether you try to use the kiosks or a manned booth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.