3 more wet leases

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
3 more wet leases

In Hebrew:

http://www.themarker.com/consumer/1.2869475

LY is wet leasing two aircraft from Euro Atlantic Airways and one more from Privilege Style (who already leased them some previously). They will also be used on long haul routes.

Article describes passenger discontent on the BOS route - no IFE, no proper Business class, no LY "feeling", and no compensation.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
I'm happy I don't have any flight with LY soon.
Hopefully LY will show the Pilots that they do not own the company. These cocky pilots think they can do anything.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:39 pm

I think with all the fanfare el al did with launching the BOS route, that travellers have a right to be frustrated, and should avoid flying el al.

I am sure they would have preferred to have kept a el al plane for BOS and done a wet lease for YYZ, but Canada has strict restrictions in place in regards to the use of wet leases.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Prague, Munich and EWR operated by wet lease aircraft yesterday according to The Marker report. Pilots reported "sick" at the last moment.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I've had a feeling for a while that upgrades from Y to C have been harder to come by lately. Now we know why. Its the damn spoiled brat pilots!!

במקרים כאלה מתחילים לחפש טייס מחליף, אבל כשמדובר בטיסה ליעד מרוחק, כמו ניו יורק, הסכם העבודה מחייב את הטייסים ל–44 שעות מנוחה בין הטיסה הלוך לטיסה חזור, מה שמוביל לשהות ארוכה בחו"ל. עד לפני כמה חודשים הטייסים הסכימו גם בהתראה קצרה לשהות ארוכה ולא צפויה מחוץ לבית, אבל באחרונה טייסים רבים שאליהם פנתה החברה לביצוע החלפה מסרו שהם לא יכולים לצאת לשהות ארוכה מחוץ לישראל ומסכימים להתייצב לטיסה רק אם הם יעבדו בטיסת ההלוך ויחזרו לישראל כצוות לא פעיל כבר בטיסה הבאה של החברה, כשהם מקבלים מושב במחלקת עסקים.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by LatusElAl
I've had a feeling for a while that upgrades from Y to C have been harder to come by lately. Now we know why. Its the damn spoiled brat pilots!!
That's nothing new. In fact it's not just upgrades. I have found EL AL saying that business class is full when it really does have spare seats, because they ALWAYS reserve certain seats for what is called in their language 'reserved as per work agreement'. Note: not only do they reserve seats, but there are SPECIFIC (good) seats which they reserve.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by mikebg
That's nothing new. In fact it's not just upgrades. I have found EL AL saying that business class is full when it really does have spare seats, because they ALWAYS reserve certain seats for what is called in their language 'reserved as per work agreement'. Note: not only do they reserve seats, but there are SPECIFIC (good) seats which they reserve.
Is this unique to only El Al though?
I doubt it.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:08 am

The Spanish airline privilege flight between Tel Aviv and Boston in business class is horendous. I was put on it returning in January and now I was put on it coming back in February. It's a horror show. Business-class is not business class. It is a backbreaking seat. Forget about life flat. This is like sitting on a diving board about to be dumped into the sea.. Because flight attendants freeze upfront and have no place to go they keep the heat in the plane at crazy settings. I walked off this plane sick twice. Some people in business class next to me had been sent to Boston because New York was closed due to weather. Frequent business-class flyers like I am and they said they had never been in such a play. They are right. And what does El Al do? They add more of these.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Glad I jumped ship to BA when I did ...
Old Mar 5, 2016, 5:56 am

"Temporary understandings between ElAl management and pilots"

Haaretz reports (Hebrew) that ElAl management and pilots have on Friday night(?) reached "temporary understandings" that will eliminate the need for these wet leases. It is unclear whether these understandings are valid for two weeks or indefinitely.

Shuly
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:23 pm

Reading this has NOT made me happy. My flight back to JFK is 3 weeks away and if I have to spend 12 hours on a PS plane. . . . . .
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by awayIgo
Reading this has NOT made me happy. My flight back to JFK is 3 weeks away and if I have to spend 12 hours on a PS plane. . . . . .
so the list of flights that are affected are listed here:
http://www.elal.com/en/About-ELAL/Ab...e-Airline.aspx

so far the only changes it seems are for the BOS-TLV route.
http://www.elal.com/en/PassengersInf...tsUpdates=True
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:17 am

Thanks, it looks like they are taking the PS flights OFF of the Boston route. I can only imagine how many screaming complaints it took to accomplish that!
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by simba8
I think with all the fanfare el al did with launching the BOS route, that travellers have a right to be frustrated, and should avoid flying el al.

I am sure they would have preferred to have kept a el al plane for BOS and done a wet lease for YYZ, but Canada has strict restrictions in place in regards to the use of wet leases.
I don't understand why Canada is very strict restrictions? Please clarify.

Oh, by the way, why they don't pick up ex-AA 767-300ER aircraft? If they will take ex-AA 767-300ER aircraft.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
I don't understand why Canada is very strict restrictions? Please clarify.
The reason is because there was an incident where the pilots of a wet leased flight didn't speak english very well and didnt fly the correct flight plan. Fighter jets were sent etc.

The regulatory body will only allow it under very strict circumstances and the airline would have to meet very specific criteria to be allowed to use wet leases.
The public disclosure requirements include, advertising of the flight would include a notification of the wet lease, and at the time of reservation, and at the time of check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.