Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Jetblue / El Al codeshare flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:56 am
Original Poster

I apologize in advance if this is a silly question. But....

I am considering going SAN-TLV, booking through the El Al website since they have a codeshare flight with Jetblue that gets me from SAN-JFK and then an actual El Al plane from JFK-TLV. On the return it goes TLV-BOS and then a Jetblue codeshare from BOS-SAN.

Here are my questions since I have never done a codeshare flight before. The flights will be Economy class.

1) Will Jetblue honor the El Al baggage allowances? I believe they will but I wanted to see if anybody has heard otherwise?

2) Will my baggage get checked all the way through so I don't have to retrieve it during the layover?

3) The layover in BOS on the return is under 2 hours. Is that enough time to clear customs and passport control and get from international arrivals to domestic departures to catch my plane to SAN? I would think that the airline's own website would not generate an itinerary that is impossible to complete, but you never know.

Thanks for everyone's help
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ucsdjosh
1) Will Jetblue honor the El Al baggage allowances? I believe they will but I wanted to see if anybody has heard otherwise?
From the El Al website:
Baggage Regulations on Beyond Destinations

Code share flights: In general, the operating carrier determines the free baggage allowance granted to the passenger, except for routes to/from the USA where it is the marketing carrier's free baggage allowance which applies
From the JetBlue website:
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by ucsdjosh

2) Will my baggage get checked all the way through so I don't have to retrieve it during the layover?

3) The layover in BOS on the return is under 2 hours. Is that enough time to clear customs and passport control and get from international arrivals to domestic departures to catch my plane to SAN? I would think that the airline's own website would not generate an itinerary that is impossible to complete, but you never know.

Thanks for everyone's help
2) Flying from the US to Israel your baggage will be checked all the way to TLV, flying back you will need to retrieve and re-check.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:42 am

I would try to get a later flight on the return. Two hours is cutting it tight!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze

You should also note that all JetBlue flights are one-class (except JFK-LAX/SFO), so you will fly economy on the domestic flights even if the international flights are in Business.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:59 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by gordo6
You should also note that all JetBlue flights are one-class (except JFK-LAX/SFO), so you will fly economy on the domestic flights even if the international flights are in Business.
This is a big disadvantage.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by awayIgo
I would try to get a later flight on the return. Two hours is cutting it tight!
The contrary, there is a higher risk of being delayed, meaning late arrival to the destination. Then you can claim delay compensation according to the Israeli law. That probably will pay back the entire ticket.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Checked the flight schedule and 1 hr 46 minutes should be enough - The flight is the the only one of three international arrivals before 8am in Logan and its gets there an hour before the other two which are red-eyes from the Dominican.

The C to E connector being built in BOS will make these connections a lot easier in the future as well.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:56 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
BOS JetBlue to EL AL connection

Looking at flights this summer for my then 16 year old son between TLV and EWR. EL AL seems to be cheapest with a direct flight to EWR but a return through BOS with an 11 hour or 2 hour connection.

I understand that the bags will be checked in EWR all the way through to TLV, but can anyone tell me what that connection is like? Are LY and JetBlue in the same terminal in BOS or are there multiple terminal to navigate? Any experiences to share?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Looking at flights this summer for my then 16 year old son between TLV and EWR. EL AL seems to be cheapest with a direct flight to EWR but a return through BOS with an 11 hour or 2 hour connection.

I understand that the bags will be checked in EWR all the way through to TLV, but can anyone tell me what that connection is like? Are LY and JetBlue in the same terminal in BOS or are there multiple terminal to navigate? Any experiences to share?
Good computerized (i.e 3-d renderings but it almost exactly how it looks) videos of the connections here http://massport.airportwayfinder.com/

Look at the International Arrival Section and transferring between terminals (E to C video)

LY is in Terminal E and B6 is in C. The terminal are next to each other and it takes 7 minutes to get from E to B6 check-in counters at C.

As of right now, the TLV-BOS flight arrives early (5:40 am) and there's two Dominican narrow body red-eye flight arrivals 90 minutes after so its not peak time. There's a rumor of a BOS-BOG flight on AV coming in 2017 that may be a overnight as well.

You do have to claim bags in BOS at Customs but there's a recheck station for those travelling on one ticket (in the video) in Terminal E right after clearing customs. Then you can do the walk to C and go through TSA onto the BOS-EWR flight.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:51 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Excellent. Thanks!

To clarify, he would arrive in the US on a direct flight to EWR but the return would be EWR-BOS-TLV.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: DL SM, HH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Excellent. Thanks!

To clarify, he would arrive in the US on a direct flight to EWR but the return would be EWR-BOS-TLV.
Disclaimer: I haven't personally made this connection myself, but this is what the procedure should be based on similar experiences and a lot of time spent in both terminals.

As stated above, JetBlue is in Terminal C and El Al is in Terminal E. The 2 terminals are connected post-security, and there is nothing more than a line on the floor showing where you cross from one terminal to the other (between gates C8 and E1).

The transfer is essentially the same as a domestic-to-domestic transfer within one terminal: you get off one plane, walk to your connecting gate, and get on the second plane. No security checks, no shuttle buses, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.