Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Is there any reason to fly with El Al if you are not Jewish?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there any reason to fly with El Al if you are not Jewish?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simba8
Record Profits for EL AL :http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Profits-EL-AL

Best performing airline stock of 2015
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle27919757/

I will add my 2 (cdn) cents and say that on occasion, the airline can be price competitive (in form of getting to point A to B and back) for direct flights.
Do not look at the last 8 or 10 months, look at the last 6-7 years. They won't be able to compete with foreign airliners.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA, HA
This is an angry thread. Given OP's name, maybe that's apt?

Originally Posted by NYTA
4) Nationalism
Sometimes flying to a new location I want to fly with that country's flag carrier (e.g. Swiss, or British Airways). It's part of the experience to see what they value, and how well they work on the customer front.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
This is an angry thread. Given OP's name, maybe that's apt?

Sometimes flying to a new location I want to fly with that country's flag carrier (e.g. Swiss, or British Airways). It's part of the experience to see what they value, and how well they work on the customer front.
Agreed. Good point. The question whether you would want to keep flying with them is a different question though.

Although not sure why on earth one would voluntarily want to travel to Israel. Tourism in Israel nearly non-existent. Leave alone the fact that Israel is notoriously known to be in conflict and engage in wars (or more precisely initiate) every now and then. In July 2014 the majority of airliners stopped flying to Israel for about a week due to safety reasons, not sure if you want to risk being stranded in that place. There was even an aircraft that was supposed to land in Tel Aviv but did U turn 200 km before the airport and went back due to missiles risk. Also there are only few places a tourist would want to see in Israel, one of them is the Dead Sea, but crappy and very expensive hotels, I think there are better options in the Jordanian side. Apart from that, I really do not understand why people travel to Israel.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by angry_flyer
Agreed. Good point. The question whether you would want to keep flying with them is a different question though.

Although not sure why on earth one would voluntarily want to travel to Israel. Tourism in Israel nearly non-existent. Leave alone the fact that Israel is notoriously known to be in conflict and engage in wars (or more precisely initiate) every now and then. In July 2014 the majority of airliners stopped flying to Israel for about a week due to safety reasons, not sure if you want to risk being stranded in that place. There was even an aircraft that was supposed to land in Tel Aviv but did U turn 200 km before the airport and went back due to missiles risk. Also there are only few places a tourist would want to see in Israel, one of them is the Dead Sea, but crappy and very expensive hotels, I think there are better options in the Jordanian side. Apart from that, I really do not understand why people travel to Israel.
Lets keep it professional. There are lots of personal and business reasons to travel to Israel. Many carriers fly to TLV. You do not like LY, that's ok and some of the points are well taken. I would add, the "grilling" also happens when flying US carriers abroad.

I'd also add, some people fly LY for the same reasons you are unhappy. While Sabbath flight issues are idiosyncratic to you, others see value there. Rayani Air is applying the the same principle with Islam, same with certain Middle Eastern carriers to an extent.

Last edited by rayikes; Feb 12, 2016 at 6:54 pm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The answer to your query (which IMO is quite offensive) is obvious. The reason to fly El Al is because they take security seriously. Don't take my word for it............security experts have long recognized that a risk-based approach to security screening is more effective and secure. See, for example:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel...b_4978149.html

Like I said before, everyone should take security seriously. But also treat all passengers equally. Israeli OPs must have more security measures for a good reason, they basically have a mess in their backyard (which the majority of people are unaware of) and they have all the reasons to fear.
But there are two points here:
(1) Non-jews are being treated differently, leave alone "Israeli" Palestinians who are very occasionally are denied boarding.
(2) Why would I use an OP that is having a higher risk of being targeted?

Why is your question offensive. Every passenger (i.e. not only Jews) cares about airline security. I prefer leaving this important task in the hands of the experts.

I understand that you are trying to defend your country's flag airliners company. I rely on British or Swedish security experts, who by the way, do not ask me to see my naked photos in my phone and do not ask me to open my email account, or even worse deny boarding for no real reason.

By contrast, North American airlines rely on passenger reports, which are based on stereotypes. For example:

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2009...s-on-a-flight/

Yes, AngryFlyer, El Al has the industry's best security. That should be reason enough to fly them - whether or not you are Jewish.

Lol.. You are talking as if everyday there is a passenger jet being bombed. "industry's best security" are not really helping Israel to be safe. I'd still prefer to fly with a foreign company having lower risk of being targeted, and oh - being treated equally.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rayikes
Lets keep it professional. There are lots of personal and business reasons to travel to Israel. Many carriers fly to TLV. You do not like LY, that's ok and some of the points are well taken. I would add, the "grilling" also happens when flying US carriers abroad.
I was careful when I said "voluntarily choose to fly to Israel", that implies that I'm talking about tourists. Of course people have personal and business reasons to travel to Israel. Like myself, I have to travel from/to Israel whether I like or not. And I will keep doing that. But for example, I will not choose to visit Egypt as a tourist, simply because there is a risk of hiding a bomb in departing air crafts, or there is a risk of being targeted by some ISIS crap. And I won't do tourism in Saudia Arabia as I will be executed if they find that I'm a an atheist. I'm just stating reasons why one should not visit Israel if have choose not to.

re: "grilling" and US carriers abroad, come on.. are you comparing US carriers with how Israeli security treats people?

"Rayani Air is applying the the same principle with Islam, same with certain Middle Eastern carriers to an extent."

Can you elaborate? what they are applying exactly? cancelling delayed flights due Sabbath for example? El Al are free not to fly on Fridays and Saturdays - fine by me, and I do not fly with them, I was wondering why people fly with them if they are NOT Jewish.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:54 pm

Angry_flyer,
Why do you even care why others who are not Jewish fly El Al. You seem like you are angry at the airline or Israelis for some reason and talking about tourism and things that you have very little knowledge about. Just seems like you are ranting about something inconsequential.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:12 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by angry_flyer
I was wondering why people fly with them if they are NOT Jewish.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, angry_flyer!

It seems that you have gotten lots of answered to the underlying question and with that we will close this thread.

Look forward to your trip reports. Sounds like you will have some interesting ones.

yosithezet
Moderator, EL AL Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.