Potential New US Destinations

Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Potential New US Destinations

Everyone always talks about Miami being El Al's next US destination, but I think there are a few destinations that could potentially see El Al service in the future.

Miami - This is the obvious one that everyone talks about. The Miami metro area has the 3rd most Jews of any metro area in the US (behind NYC and LA). Along with this, there are currently many Israelis who travel to MIA/FLL by connecting to B6 at EWR, JFK, or BOS or AA at LHR, MAD, or CDG. Personally, I think that the market is big enough for ~6-7 weekly flights.

Philadelphia - AA recently dropped its PHL-TLV daily nonstop, but the flight did have a lot of local travelers. With a pretty sizable Jewish population and considering the city had a nonstop until very recently, I think the market could support ~4 weekly flights.

Chicago - The city has a pretty big Jewish population and is a big business city. Currently served via B6 codeshare from JFK/BOS and AA codeshare via LHR. I think the market could support ~4 weekly flights

Washington, D.C. - The DC metro area has a pretty large amount of Jews, and is in the top five of any metro area in the US if Baltimore is included in the count. The government could also demand a lot of traffic. I think the market could support ~3 weekly flights.

San Francisco? - I don't think the market is big enough for both UA and El Al, and I have a feeling UA will eventually increase its service from 3x weekly to 4-5x weekly. With that in mind, I think it is unlikely El Al will enter this market, but I wouldn't be surprised if it starts codesharing with UA on this flight.

As a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if Boston is upgraded from 3 to 4 weekly flights in the future. I have heard this flight is doing well and benefits from B6 connections.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:41 am

You are suggesting markets based on the number of Jews. Do you realize that a huge amount of tourists are non-Jews. Speaking in generalities American Orthodox Jews come to Israel frequently--usually visiting relatives/parents/children. Non-Orthodox come in numbers far below their representation in the US. Non-Jews are the big tourists! It seems irrelevant where Jews are located in terms of having flights. What is relevant is where tourists are coming from. I 'd look first for fundamental Christian populations since they are huge supporters and make loads of trip.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Agree 100% with awayIgo. No need to look for Jewish communities, or lack thereof, to find suitable, or not-suitable, destinations.

As for PHL, this has been exhausted ad naeseum. PHL wouldn't work for LY because the O&D traffic isn't there. US used it for connecting pax, but LY gets that from JFK, EWR, and BOS, so PHL is just another destination. Plus they have no network to use from PHL, making it have to survive on the O&D traffic that doesn't exist.

For those in PHL, they can drive up the turnpike to EWR or they can connect in JFK/Europe.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by awayIgo
You are suggesting markets based on the number of Jews. Do you realize that a huge amount of tourists are non-Jews. Speaking in generalities American Orthodox Jews come to Israel frequently--usually visiting relatives/parents/children. Non-Orthodox come in numbers far below their representation in the US. Non-Jews are the big tourists! It seems irrelevant where Jews are located in terms of having flights. What is relevant is where tourists are coming from. I 'd look first for fundamental Christian populations since they are huge supporters and make loads of trip.

Also if LY actually had a competitive business product (hard, soft, ground, price), they could look at where that kind of traffic is being under-served. Oh well!

If you're looking at general population, Jewish community, and diplomatic travellers, I'd have thought BWI was a pretty decent choice. It's close enough to Philly to compete with EWR for any O&D traffic, and is no less convenient than IAD for most Washington traffic. Baltimore itself has a huge Jewish community.

Just the Israeli embassy traffic would probably account for a pretty high proportion of seats at the pointy end, albeit they are cannibalising their NY traffic, but when they start replacing 747s with 787s shortly, they might do better to optimise point-to-point like that anyway.

BWI/Maryland are also known to offer decent incentives for international carriers, and with a $100m capex programme to improve this aspect of the airport, they're going to be looking for new markets...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I don't see LY expanding anywhere in the US until/unless they actually get the 787s on property, in numbers greater than to replace the 763s. And assuming they can equip the 78's properly, they might be able to be a bit competitive, but aside from MIA, I don't see anyplace in North America (other than possibly seasonal YUL) they'd really want to be.

It takes quite a bit of traffic to fill a WB... I'm very curious how BOS is doing. I'd expect that most of the tech/bio traffic in the bay is contracting with UA...
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by awayIgo
This is true that ~50% of tourists are Christians, while only ~30% are Jewish. However, Israelis travel to America much more than Americans travel to Israel, and the biggest destinations are business cities with a decent size Jewish population and vacation destinations (mostly NYC, LA, Miami, and Orlando). That is also important as El Al is flown primarily by Israelis and Americans will sometimes choose a one stop on a US airline over an El Al nonstop.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
El Al and MIA officials met just the other day to discuss potential new service. They all got hats.

Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DA201
This is true that ~50% of tourists are Christians, while only ~30% are Jewish. However, Israelis travel to America much more than Americans travel to Israel, and the biggest destinations are business cities with a decent size Jewish population and vacation destinations (mostly NYC, LA, Miami, and Orlando). That is also important as El Al is flown primarily by Israelis and Americans will sometimes choose a one stop on a US airline over an El Al nonstop.
Do you have sources for this data, because I find it strange. Especially considering that Israeli travel outside of the US is to many places that have little correlation with the size of respective Jewish communities
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Do you have sources for this data, because I find it strange. Especially considering that Israeli travel outside of the US is to many places that have little correlation with the size of respective Jewish communities
Religious breakdown: http://www.timesofisrael.com/2013-re...vernment-says/

Most travelled to cities are from CAPA and a few other websites that reported individual numbers.

The correlation between cities with large Jewish populations and where Israelis travel was inferred by myself, as all of the top 9 cities (except Orlando due to tourism) visited by Israelis rank in the top 10 among US cities' Jewish populations. (Top cities in no particular order: NYC, LA, Chicago, Philly, DC/Baltimore, Miami, Boston, San Fran, Orlando). Now this could be coincidence, since large cities tend to have big Jewish populations, or it could be because the Israelis visiting relatives gives the cities an extra bump in traffic.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DA201
Religious breakdown: http://www.timesofisrael.com/2013-re...vernment-says/

Most travelled to cities are from CAPA and a few other websites that reported individual numbers.

The correlation between cities with large Jewish populations and where Israelis travel was inferred by myself, as all of the top 9 cities (except Orlando due to tourism) visited by Israelis rank in the top 10 among US cities' Jewish populations. (Top cities in no particular order: NYC, LA, Chicago, Philly, DC/Baltimore, Miami, Boston, San Fran, Orlando). Now this could be coincidence, since large cities tend to have big Jewish populations, or it could be because the Israelis visiting relatives gives the cities an extra bump in traffic.
The article doesn't mention anything about Israelis traveling to America more than vice versa. Further, the article is about 2013.

Again, I don't have stats one way or the other. I do know that outside the US, you see massive groups of Israeli traveling places that have small or no Jewish communities (think of the sold out 744 flying daily to BKK).
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
El Al Executives Meet With Dade Mayor, MIA Director To Discuss Tel Aviv Flight
Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:18 pm

A great number of U.S. based travelers simply won't consider flying on LY because as their flights don't earn miles into the flyer's non-LY frequent flyer plan.

Additionally, airlines don't typically plan flights based on where tourists live. Most tourists book in advance on low revenue fares thus aren't all that profitable for the airline.

Route placement depends, in large part, upon where the uberich traveler lives (e.g. the person willing to pay for C or F) and on the location of businesses which send employees on short-notice trips at full fare.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by entropy
I don't see LY expanding anywhere in the US until/unless they actually get the 787s on property, in numbers greater than to replace the 763s. And assuming they can equip the 78's properly, they might be able to be a bit competitive, but aside from MIA, I don't see anyplace in North America (other than possibly seasonal YUL) they'd really want to be.
Right! They had wait for 787 to come online. They will delivered in a few years or so. Just be patient.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.