Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TLV Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
TLV Experiences

This morning was very very busy in TLV due to a huge group of Students going to Poland (Katowice) for a week to visit historical sites. Is this regular or one-off? Security was one huge mess because of the overload, with people almost all the way back to the gates where they scan the yellow sticker on your passport. There a few flights to Katowice at around the same times. (7.10, 7.30)
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I am surprised that you had this problem. Every time I have seen a large group, the person responsible for it was checked and then he/she verified the other members of the group and they just passed through the pre-check in Security.

Of course, they still had to have their carry on baggage xrayed just like everyone else.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Dovster
I am surprised that you had this problem. Every time I have seen a large group, the person responsible for it was checked and then he/she verified the other members of the group and they just passed through the pre-check in Security.

Of course, they still had to have their carry on baggage xrayed just like everyone else.
I'm surprised for the opposite reason - there are groups all the time, and different schools specifically send their students at different times throughout the year to Poland, not to mention other delegations that go, such that I've seen massive groups many times, but rarely have I seen that specifically cause a massive backup.

When flying on a group, I've had a mix of being interviewed and not, though was always younger
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Dovster

I understood the OP that the xray security was causing the backlog. This could be the case if not all the machines were operative. The main time schools go to Poland is after Purim so it'd be surprising if it was more busy than that, unless the airport was understaffed.
In any event, it's good to see you back on the LY board Dovster.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sds1493
I understood the OP that the xray security was causing the backlog. This could be the case if not all the machines were operative. The main time schools go to Poland is after Purim so it'd be surprising if it was more busy than that, unless the airport was understaffed.
In any event, it's good to see you back on the LY board Dovster.
Not just after Purim. Many go right after Succot or sometime during the summer or just before/after Pesach or during January even. The Education Ministry specifically splits it up
Old Oct 26, 2015, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Not just after Purim. Many go right after Succot or sometime during the summer or just before/after Pesach or during January even. The Education Ministry specifically splits it up
Thank you for clarifying. The weather is certainly more sympathetic in Adar - Nissan. Having said that, the camps were operative year round.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for clarifying. The weather is certainly more sympathetic in Adar - Nissan. Having said that, the camps were operative year round.
I went in January (as an American though, not Israeli,) and it gave an incredible appreciation for what people went through.

Ironically, my wife (now) was there that same January in the same areas, but we never crossed paths.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
It was probably an "Italian strike" of the airport security workers union in solidarity with their brothers at the electric company.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I went in January (as an American though, not Israeli,) and it gave an incredible appreciation for what people went through.

Ironically, my wife (now) was there that same January in the same areas, but we never crossed paths.

Wow Josh, Mazal Tov on your marriage! Why didn't you invite us? It could've made for a nice El Al FT get together!
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moe8555
Wow Josh, Mazal Tov on your marriage! Why didn't you invite us? It could've made for a nice El Al FT get together!
I actually believe I posted about it "way back" (we're an old married couple by now, with a whole 2.5 years under our belts )
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I actually believe I posted about it "way back" (we're an old married couple by now, with a whole 2.5 years under our belts )
Ahh got it. I had interpreted your post as meaning that you were there this past January (2015) and have since gotten married.

We now resume our regularly scheduled programming.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:21 am

Of course you did
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moe8555
Ahh got it. I had interpreted your post as meaning that you were there this past January (2015) and have since gotten married.

We now resume our regularly scheduled programming.
No no, this was January 2008

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.