Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Do NYC Departure Times Hurt LY?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot

Just planning a trip to NY and it just occurred to me that the EWR and JFK flights both depart after midnight. I suppose they always have, I just didn't pay attention to this so much. The questions are: 1) Why not depart at 11 or 11:30 like the UA and DL flights - is it a labor law or other scheduling quirk about departing/arriving the same calendar day? and 2) Does it hurt them since most people looking for a flight departing on a Monday evening would search for Monday evening flights up to midnight vs. searching for early Tuesday morning? (As was the case with me as I just started my search) - notably the DL JFK-TLV flight now leaves JFK at 11:59pm NY time which, presumably is because they don't want people searching for flights at midnight or thereafter.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
I think it is planned that way so that arrival time works out well for people going to NY for work, allowing them to arrive in time for meetings but not too early so they have to sit around for several hours waiting for the city to wake up.

I don't think it hurts them as I think most people either know the options or research it and find out the flight times.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: *A
I think DL leaves at 2359 to avoid pax arriving a day late for their flight.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:23 am

Personally, I love the late (early) flights--in fact on the 001 in a few hours! ( and why am I not packing????)

Getting on the plane at this hour enables one to actually sleep. When you body clock says night it is so much easier. AND I get to NY with a full day. ( which was great in my pre-retirement days. )

BTW there ARE day flights. I was going to get you exact flight numbers and times but the EL AL website is acting up. ( for a change)
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:29 am
Suspended

actually its very smart of LY to leave when they do. UA 91 usually arrives early as does US into PHL, the result is pulling up to the gate and waiting and waiting till C&BP opens up. So if my choice was to arrive say 30-45 mins early and have to sit in my seat for that amount of time or depart TLV after midnight knowing theer wont be any waiting once we arrive , for me its a no brainer , LY

Now maybe C&BP has different hours @ JFK then they do @ EWR & PHL

But awaking me up to get ready to land only to be told we have to wait xx mins before we can open the door and let you out, Id rather be on LY sleeping away
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I much prefer the late night departures, and I don't care if its 10:40p or 1A. Frankly, the 1A are great, you can have a full dinner at home, go to the airport and be quite ready to sleep. Even on the crappy non flat 767 seats to YYZ I slept like a baby for 8 hours and was ready for action at 6A when we arrived.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I know they are fine as a passenger - I used to take them a lot myself when I lived in NYC and came to TLV for business - I was just speculating as to whether they lose bookings to UA/DL because of the departure times.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYTA
I know they are fine as a passenger - I used to take them a lot myself when I lived in NYC and came to TLV for business - I was just speculating as to whether they lose bookings to UA/DL because of the departure times.
I dont think so. Those folks who are members of a program (especailly with status) didnt fly LY anyways , since they wanted the RDMs and EQMs. Now with UA & DL giving RDMs according to what you paid for the ticket for many who arent at the top it amounts to very few RDMs, and could be they will move to LY going forward

Thats in regards to EWR, JFK LY usually has 2+ flights going in
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA
Whatever loss in sales occurs is (at least partially) offset by picking up passengers from UA/DL IRROPS and IDB/VDB.

That said, many booking tools display early morning flights along with flights for the night before.

Originally Posted by craz
Now with UA & DL giving RDMs according to what you paid for the ticket for many who arent at the top it amounts to very few RDMs, and could be they will move to LY going forward
Other passengers might simply opt for connecting services or simply start accumulating miles to one of DL or UA's partners and still fly the same flights.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
The United flight leaves at 11 and arrives around 4AM.

I should warn you that strange as this may sound, the flight is usually early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.