Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Recent Experience of F 777 LHR-TLV

Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LY Silver, BA Silver, VS Silver, EK Silver

Just thought I might give everyone an update on F flown in the past week both ways LHR - TLV an back in light of various comments comparing LY to BA.

Booked in A Class at a cost cheaper than BA J for LY F so maybe its useful to compare the two.

LHR T4 has a separate security line for F compared to the former T1 where J & F were the same line. Security seemed to clear F line before touching J line so almost immediate attention. F Check in desk was empty but I have in the past waited behind many J passengers at the F check in, but this time it was clear. Another noticeable change in T4 was the use of Fast Track Security which T1 didn't allow for LY passengers - never really understood why. But both these changes meant check in was quick and I timed 15 mins kerbside to departure lounge.

I didn't have time to use the Plaza lounge I cant comment but there is no separate F section as far as I am aware.

On board, as posters has said before F cabin seems to have less legroom now that the new J Cabin but was half empty so no real bother. Service was excellent as was the usual 5 course eat-a-thon which as a kosher traveller was appreciated. My bag was the first out.

All in all a much better experience than T1 was, first class service and food, albeit a smaller and 'tighter'cabin.

I would take LY F over BA J on this basis although I accept the single seat on the A321 has its attractions especially the lack of privacy on LY F.

On the return, Mercedes pick up smooth and efficient. TLV have done away with the xray ,machines and security was fast, with check in even faster having bags 'wrapped up' while checking in. The new fast track security lane and passport reader gave me a kerbside to departure lounge time of only 12 minutes my record, esp given 3pm in the afternoon of the last day in August (bank holiday in the UK).

New Ben & Jerrys ice cream fridge in lounge is a welcome addition. On board all 6 seats were taken, so happy to be travelling with a partner as the others were bored to tears with Israeli's giving their life histories to people who only wanted to sleep (I don't know of any other F that are not single seats).

Food and Service exceptional (Ben and Jerry sorbets on descent) but F luggage came out somewhere in the middle.

Travelling F again from LTN soon so that may be a completely different experience.

At a cheaper price, LY F is ahead of BA J for me for now.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Thank you for an. Informative objective comparison.

will have to look at LY.

In the future. Perhaps you can post photos too ?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
LTN has F service?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
I'm surprised you got LY F for less than BA J, mind sharing the fares?

Food is no doubt better than on BA J especially for a kosher eater but the seat really is not.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by TLVFred
Travelling F again from LTN soon so that may be a completely different experience.
There is no F from LTN so you'll likely be traveling in C on a 737.

At a cheaper price, LY F is ahead of BA J for me for now.
Unless a special offer is available, a return ticket in First on the TLV-LHR route starts at $2800, which is almost double that of an I class CW ticket with BA (around $1550), and if I is not available, the next price level would be around $1800 for an R fare.
If you need total flexibility (no cost for change or cancelation) a D fare would set you back $2400, and so I can only assume the flights you wanted were almost sold out on BA, with only the most expensive fares left (J or C), while LY had A class left (the cheapest F).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Luton does occasionaly, (around the chagim) see the B777.

For example:
27/09
07/10
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:19 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
(I don't know of any other F that are not single seats).
Saudia

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Sau...ng_777-300.php

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Sau...ng_777-200.php
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I think the OP was comparing LHR-TLV-LHR fares and not the other way round. I have heard from others that ex-London EL AL is cheaper than BA, so I guess this is what has happened.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ELAL
Luton does occasionaly, (around the chagim) see the B777.
Indeed, you are right.
It's not very often though, and certainly not part of the normal schedule.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikebg
I think the OP was comparing LHR-TLV-LHR
Indeed it seems so and I missed that.
BA I fares are still considerably cheaper out of LHR compared to LY F, if there is availability of course, otherwise the price increases dramatically, making LY F cheaper indeed.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
At least the booze on LY is better than on SV...
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

- I am flying LY212 LTN-TLV 27Sep 0110 777 with F
- A Class F return £1620 BA J return £2300 (less than 30 days before). Correct I am comparing LHR-TLV-LHR 25 days out
- Agreed seat is not as good as 'throne' seat on BA A321 but managed 2hrs sleep so not terrible
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Any idea of what F would be like on that flight.

I assume -

No separate F line for security
No separate F check in
There will be fast track
What will the food be on a 0110 LTN arr TLV 0805 in F ? Dinner ? Breakfast ? Nothing ??
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
They fly a 777 LTN-TLV? I didn't think the runway was long enough.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
Originally Posted by NYTA
They fly a 777 LTN-TLV? I didn't think the runway was long enough.
It's long enough and LY occasionally fly there using their 777.

LY 777 at LTN:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.