Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

EL Al 737-800 - J cabin with only two seats??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond

I'm not a regular LY flyer, I usually use skyteam in and out of TLV but today I was looking on LY's website and found the following seat map for the 737-800 that I think is a very strange configuration...
Is that real?? I have never seen an airliner with only 2 J seats, how do they separate the cabins?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
How very odd! I can assure you there is no configuration like this.

Would you mind posting the link to this please?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
It's new and just posted on LY's website in recent days, maybe a new configuration for routes with low J demand? The weird thing is that it has higher capacity then UP.

I have never seen such a weird configuration and I doubt it's actually doable since the seat mounting rails for J and Y are different (one of the reasons you will never see J and Y seats on an ATR-72 for example).

http://www.elal.com/SiteCollectionIm...,B,C154sA4.pdf
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by TLVtraveler
It's new and just posted on LY's website in recent days, maybe a new configuration for routes with low J demand?
2 seats? No way...
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubman
2 seats? No way...
Well, that's what is indicated in the seatmap on their website, I just tweeted LY for clarification, I will update back if I get any response... Very interesting..
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Turkish have 2 seats in J on their A321's (seen it between MAN and IST)
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benberg2013
Turkish have 2 seats in J on their A321's
Proper biz seats?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by clubman
Proper biz seats?
Not flat beds, just recline a little more, and more comfortable, and wider of course. A lot better than other airlines´ short haul business.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze

It is a sundor operated 737. There's seats are neither separated not sales as a separate cabin. The reason they are there is that if the AC had 186 seats (ie 3 economy seats instead) there would be a need for one more FA (I am not sure whether it is because of regulation or because of their FA agreement)
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

gordo6 beat me to it...

Apparently, they are used primarily for crew rest.

Must look very odd in reality
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Why didn't they just install two economy seats then. Very weird!
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by economyman
Why didn't they just install two economy seats then. Very weird!
The sundor 737s are ex-LY 737s. So the business class seats were already there.

Flew on that plane once (5 years ago?) and it does not look that weird on the plane... I actually set in one of the business class seats The other was crew rest. Apparently I was the only J pax on that flight, and one of the regular 737s went tech, so...
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gordo6
The sundor 737s are ex-LY 737s. So the business class seats were already there.

Flew on that plane once (5 years ago?) and it does not look that weird on the plane... I actually set in one of the business class seats The other was crew rest. Apparently I was the only J pax on that flight, and one of the regular 737s went tech, so...
Did you receive the normal J service in your seat? was cabin separation enforced in any way (curtain, forward WC kept for J pax only, etc..).
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by TLVtraveler
Did you receive the normal J service in your seat? was cabin separation enforced in any way (curtain, forward WC kept for J pax only, etc..).
Yes, the FAs installed a curtain after row 21, and they kept the other side of it empty. However I was told that it is removable and not used on sundor flights.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gordo6
Yes, the FAs installed a curtain after row 21, and they kept the other side of it empty. However I was told that it is removable and not used on sundor flights.
That sounds like a great flight, private cabin, private lavatory, no other pax... sounds more like a private jet I would take it any day over the normal 737 J not to mention compared to what EU airlines are trying to sell as EU J...

Do you have any pictures from that flight? I would be really interested in seeing it..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.