Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

ELAL to spend up to 900 million dollars on a massive aircraft acquisition!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ELAL to spend up to 900 million dollars on a massive aircraft acquisition!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ly787
Hopefully they will add some 777-300 or 777-9(wishful thinking)
They will need it for LHR and JFK because of slots, otherwise EWR and Luton will see more frequencies.
I still need to see this to believe it
I agree with that. We will see what happens. It will be direct replacement the 747-400. I think the 777-9X is the right choice.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: EL AL Gold, BA Gold, LH M&M
Wow!
Confirmation from Boeing
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=20295&item=129496
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by entropy
Of course they can learn from Air Canada how to turn a modern aircraft (77W or 787) into a slaveship in Y.
You can add BA to that list too.

I have't experienced it myself, but the reports are terrible (so much so that they are apparently going to already replace the seats in Y to add a fraction more shoulder room).
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
This is wonderful news! I know anything is possible when it comes to El Al, but they'd have to be pretty foolish not to seriously upgrade the business/first product this time around.

I also heard rumors that El Al will be slightly revamping Matmid by allowing for longer point expirations (possibly even reverting back to no expiration in some cases) and awarding more points according to ticket cost even in the lowest fare buckets.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
I'll believe it when I see the planes in TLV.
In any case, I don't see LY also investing heavily in a new J seat, let alone F. If they do, kudos to them!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by economyman
In any case, I don't see LY also investing heavily in a new J seat, let alone F. If they do, kudos to them!
What do you mean "investing"? They pick them from a catalog...

They need seats, hopefully they will pick something that's competitive. All aisle access would be nice, but I'd also like a seat that isn't isolated as I often travel with my husband and its nicer to be side by side than in pods a-la AC.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:46 am

Looks like a 787-10 in the PR photos

Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:00 am

I think they have a -10 in the PR photo
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
An aviation press article in English here.

Says 800-900 for 7 or so planes, which could I suppose be possible.

Will be sad to see the 74s go -- just as a 74 lover.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by clubman
You can add BA to that list too.

I have't experienced it myself, but the reports are terrible (so much so that they are apparently going to already replace the seats in Y to add a fraction more shoulder room).
BA 788 is 3-3-3 Y correct?

Thought their 77W is also 9-abreast, Granted it's only a small fleet,

Are you referring to the new WT seat/product design?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
What do you mean "investing"? They pick them from a catalog....
Pretty sure economyman was referring to their financial investment.

All aisle access would be nice, but I'd also like a seat that isn't isolated as I often travel with my husband and its nicer to be side by side than in pods a-la AC.
If you're referring to AC's latest biz product then surely the middle pairs are suited for couples, while the single window seats are ideal for solo travellers.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
BA 788 is 3-3-3 Y correct?
Correct, but apparently the seats are narrower than on the 777 fleet, and incredibly uncomfortable.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by economyman
I'm in agreement with you on that one.

I think we can all cast our minds back to 2010 - http://atwonline.com/aircraft-amp-en...-four-777-200s

Last edited by jonnye; Aug 7, 2015 at 4:03 am
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by clubman
Correct, but apparently the seats are narrower than on the 777 fleet, and incredibly uncomfortable.
Don't have the specs in front of me but the 787 fuselage is slightly narrower than the 777. Packing the same number of seats makes in a narrower space definitely makes it more cramped. To the bean counters at Waterside and all the other airlines doing the same analysis on LOPAs (layout of passenger accommodations) it would be leaving money on the table to operate 2-4-2 like Boeing initially marketed.

I haven't flown the new WT/WT+ product yet, sounds like you aren't a fan.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Shame that they canceled the initial order though I wonder if some form of delayed compensation, even though they canceled, was worked into a discount.

I believe they are buying 8 and leasing 7, with the option for 13 more.

Stupid that they would replace the 744s with the 787. Definitely they should replace the 767s with them, but they should have looked into the 77W to replace the 744. Unless they plan on packing the 787 even worse than some airlines do.

I'm still holding outside hope to see them go 1-2-1 C, 2-4-2 Y, and maybe improve Y+, either a la DL or a true Premium Economy. But then again, LY, so...

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Is this because in the end, the U.S. government will be paying for these planes?
Why would they?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.