Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Do you care what kind of shoes FAs wear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

Because apparently, David Maimon does
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:37 am

I could care less. I would imagine they should be comfortable so that they can be on their feet for hours and able to work in, G-d forbid, an emergency.

BUT how about sharing what you are referring to. You made me very curious!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Read the article!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
I personally don't care and probably wouldn't notice. BUT I can understand why LY management would like their FA to wear high heels as it looks much classier, on the other hand FA should be comfortable.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Heels are definitely classier.
When you walk into a typical professional office in the financial world or legal sector and multitudes of businesses, the female employees very often, if not almost always, wear heels.
In the airline industry, I am pretty sure that British and Virgin also require heels of the female flight attendants until takeoff.
As it is, El Al FA's do currently wear heels until boarding. Seems reasonable to me. to ask them to keep them on for an additional 30 minutes until the aircraft door closes.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm not sure. I understand the professional look, but considering how painful they can be, I hear the FAs' arguments against. Considering that, I can certainly see the potential validity towards a lawsuit (sexism perhaps?)
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:33 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I agree with Maimon. Don't you carry yourself differently when in a suit and tie versus shorts and a t-shirt?

The FA quote is laughable. You could say the same of any detail you want to improve.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:36 pm

Josh--missed that the link was to the article. ( was having a "senior moment")

Anyway, there are heels and there are heels. I do not wear most heels, but can walk over 2 miles in certain non-flat shoes on a Shabbat or Yom Tov, when I don't drive. So, a clarification is needed. High spikes--no, but there is such a thing as a comfortable 2-3 inch shoe! ( and the shoes I wear are Israeli---Teva Naot!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I agree with Maimon. Don't you carry yourself differently when in a suit and tie versus shorts and a t-shirt?

The FA quote is laughable. You could say the same of any detail you want to improve.
You do, but it doesn't have to be heels. I'll be honest, I've never once looked at the shoes of FAs, so I don't know whether I've never had FAs in heels, only had FAs in heels, or something in the middle. But you can be classy even without heels.

After seeing my wife dress for wedding and such, I'm thankful I'm a guy and never had this issue arise

Originally Posted by awayIgo
Josh--missed that the link was to the article. ( was having a "senior moment")
No worries!

Anyway, there are heels and there are heels. I do not wear most heels, but can walk over 2 miles in certain non-flat shoes on a Shabbat or Yom Tov, when I don't drive. So, a clarification is needed. High spikes--no, but there is such a thing as a comfortable 2-3 inch shoe! ( and the shoes I wear are Israeli---Teva Naot!
I wouldn't know
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:04 pm

As a general rule I couldn't care less what any person wears - or does not wear - provided it (the clothing or nude skin) doesn't smell.

That said, I think high heels are quite unprofessional. They paint an imagine of a has-been rather than a cutting edge firm which cares about its employee's health. It is also rather unprofessional of LY to require female employees to wear different items than male employees.

Last edited by Indelaware; Jun 19, 2015 at 4:34 pm
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Indelaware
As a general rule I couldn't care less what any person wears - or does wear - provided it (the clothing or nude skin) doesn't smell.

That said, I think high heels are quite unprofessional. They paint an imagine of a has-been rather than a cutting edge firm which cares about its employee's health. It is also rather unprofessional of LY to require female employees to wear different items than male employees.
While I agree with you in principle, I'm curious whether other airlines require them or not, considering the article:
Originally Posted by The Jerusalem Post
“This practice is accepted in the airline industry worldwide,” a spokeswoman said.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
While I agree with you in principle, I'm curious whether other airlines require them or not, considering the article:
Perhaps with the Gulf or Asian airlines, but I have seen no evidence to suggest such policy on US or European carriers.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
I travel BA regularly and as far as I can recall on all flights, the FAs always wear heels until everyone is seated. I actually took note of this last Friday.
If I am not mistaken the same is true on LH. Don't know about the others but I would be surprised if AF does not work the same way.

I'm of two minds on this one. TBH - I don't think it's such a major health issue to wear heels until the passengers are seated and then change into flats. Also, there is nothing wrong with the airline requiring its front line employees to be smart and elegant. I wish some other businesses in Israel did that. Whilst this does usually mean a different dress code for men and women, men should also not get away with anything they feel comfortable in. Where does the freedom to be comfortable end. Should the FAs be allowed to wear sport shoes? No doubt that's many times more comfortable to work in on a long flight.
It's not an easy call and whilst I understand Indelaware's sentiment, I don't fully buy into it here.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by economyman
I travel BA regularly and as far as I can recall on all flights, the FAs always wear heels until everyone is seated. I actually took note of this last Friday.
I also saw that on UA.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:26 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Indelaware
As a general rule I couldn't care less what any person wears - or does not wear - provided it (the clothing or nude skin) doesn't smell.

Quite professional in my opinion. Men and women are built differently and therefore require different clothing. I agree with the posters who say that there is nothing wrong with determining what they would like the staff to wear as their uniform so that they out forth the image the airline would like to project. Delta's red dresses are great. The sarong of the Singapore girl is fabulous branding. Quite professional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.