Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Changes in Dan lounge access with Israeli CCs

Changes in Dan lounge access with Israeli CCs

Old May 27, 2015, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by joshwex90
It was already 100
We don't know how much the CC companies were paying (unless some insider would like to chime in....)

I am also pretty sure that the Dan lounges care not a hoot about crowding - the more fees, the merrier.

Both Leumi Business (?) and Visa Business are paid cards... I pay an average of 20 NIS per month per card, I guess I should drop a few (Visa business for one, if no free lounge access any more)
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: LY: GL; LH: SEN
MasterCard Corporate changes

As of Sep 1st 2015 there will be some changes with MasterCard Corporate as well, Hebrew source:
https://www.isracard.co.il/pages/Art...0&mp=4,45,2540

From this date on, card entitles one free access every month providing a 2000NIS spending the previous month. Will require downloading a coupon from web site or app.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by 4X-ELI
As of Sep 1st 2015 there will be some changes with MasterCard Corporate as well, Hebrew source:

From this date on, card entitles one free access every month providing a 2000NIS spending the previous month. Will require downloading a coupon from web site or app.
That sucks.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I have another experience update:
Last week I used my High Miles card to get a free personal pie and lemonade from Pizza Hut. It was pretty simple: a short form to fill out on the CAL website and the confirmation was received within seconds to my inbox.

I told the cashier that I wanted to use the benefit and she didn't even need to see the confirmation, only the actual card. The receipt had a grand total of 0 NIS: a charge of 42 NIS for the deal and then a second line with -42 NIS discount.

I personally enjoy the lounge (and thankfully had access through a different card), but I think some of you would beg to differ and would rather have a benefit like this :-)
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by moe8555
I have another experience update:
Last week I used my High Miles card to get a free personal pie and lemonade from Pizza Hut. It was pretty simple: a short form to fill out on the CAL website and the confirmation was received within seconds to my inbox.

I told the cashier that I wanted to use the benefit and she didn't even need to see the confirmation, only the actual card. The receipt had a grand total of 0 NIS: a charge of 42 NIS for the deal and then a second line with -42 NIS discount.

I personally enjoy the lounge (and thankfully had access through a different card), but I think some of you would beg to differ and would rather have a benefit like this :-)
I agree - that's a much better benefit than the lounge access.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:44 am
Original Poster

For me that means one thing - bye-bye, Mastercard.

Originally Posted by 4X-ELI

Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by dand99
For me that means one thing - bye-bye, Mastercard.
What card do you plan on getting instead?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:20 am
Original Poster

I'll look into the one card that seems to be left - anashim vemahshevim I think ?

I was holding on to my Visa Business, Amex Business and MC Corporate for lounge access - guess that makes me a sucker....

Originally Posted by moe8555
What card do you plan on getting instead?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I am in the C lounge now and it is more crowded than ever. Not sure if it is because of the CC companies or what but this is crazy.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
Originally Posted by NYTA
I am in the C lounge now and it is more crowded than ever. Not sure if it is because of the CC companies or what but this is crazy.
It's mid July, one of the busiest traveling seasons in Israel, all foreign airlines use the lounge for their premium pax. I'm not surprised if the lounge is full with or without CC pax.

To be honest I don't bother going into the Dan lounge anymore, it's almost always full, has no decent food offerings or proper seating - I prefer to sit near the central fountain, it has a much nicer atmosphere....
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I go into the lounge for the bathroom because it has better toilet paper

Other than that, I no longer see a need/desire. I don't fly LCCs so I don't need food (either I ate before or will on the plane) and liquids can be brought past security so there's no need for something to drink. The WiFi in the lounge is worse than in the terminal, and worst case scenario, I could always tether my phone.

Am I missing something? Entering the Dan at some points feels like entering just because I can
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Am I missing something? Entering the Dan at some points feels like entering just because I can
You forgot about the free beer!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I'm in the Dan lounge on average 2-3x per month. Typically, I get a snack - a salad and hummus/tehina as that's all that's really edible there - a cappuccino and an orange Prigat. If I can get a seat with a plug, I'll plug in my phone. The free snacks/drinks make it worthwhile as a cappuccino at Arcaffe costs around 20 shekels! I get in for free with either elite status or priority pass (or a combination when I'm with my kids) so when you multiply that x3 it's worth it, but still, one of the worst lounges ever.

Furthermore, I don't buy the "busy travel season" thing, as while it is clearly a busy travel season, the LH lounge in FRA or many of the lounges in the European airports I have frequented in the last few weeks (AZ in FCO), 3rd party lounge at CGN, TK lounge at IST, etc. aren't nearly as crowded on a people per square meter basis as the Dan. The only one that comes close is the LX lounge in ZRH.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by NYTA
I'm in the Dan lounge on average 2-3x per month. Typically, I get a snack - a salad and hummus/tehina as that's all that's really edible there - a cappuccino and an orange Prigat. If I can get a seat with a plug, I'll plug in my phone. The free snacks/drinks make it worthwhile as a cappuccino at Arcaffe costs around 20 shekels! I get in for free with either elite status or priority pass (or a combination when I'm with my kids) so when you multiply that x3 it's worth it, but still, one of the worst lounges ever.

Furthermore, I don't buy the "busy travel season" thing, as while it is clearly a busy travel season, the LH lounge in FRA or many of the lounges in the European airports I have frequented in the last few weeks (AZ in FCO), 3rd party lounge at CGN, TK lounge at IST, etc. aren't nearly as crowded on a people per square meter basis as the Dan. The only one that comes close is the LX lounge in ZRH.
It would make sense that they're not as crowded per square meter because even if/though they have larger crowds, they also have much larger lounges to accommodate them
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
TLV is operating at its design capacity, and it seems the lounges are too small in general.

EWR has the same problem with the UA lounges, its a zoo. and they don't even have hummus

would be great if star built a lounge in the new concourse...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.