Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

DWKWIA ELAL Style, or "It's not Just an Airline, It's Israel"

Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot

Given the recent "chocolate incident" on Israir http://bcove.me/3qy3szdg It seems like we could use a thread like what exists on other airline forums about over-entitled passengers on ElAl and the other Israeli airlines.

I'll go first:

Last night a woman is the last passenger to board from MXP (seated one row behind me) and demands to the crew that they find a place for her roller bag in the already full overhead bins. There is no space at all near us so they offer to check the bag. She insists that they put it in the overhead and so, while she just sits there and the flight attendants after much searching finally find a space in a bin towards the back of the plane, she screams at them for being "chutzpaniot" because it's so many rows behind her.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:27 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
The fact that similar threads exist in other parts of FlyerTalk is not a reason to believe that the existance of such threads has value. The dynamics of each forum are different. For now, we will let this thread run for a bit and see how it goes. Posts which dwell on political, ethnic, religious topics will be deleted. If this becomes a trend the thread will be closed.

yosithezet
Moderator, EL AL Forum
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:13 pm

I'm at a loss of reason why an Israeli airline would be any different from any number of airlines world wide: many people are flying these days who lack any level of civility.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Indelaware
I'm at a loss of reason why an Israeli airline would be any different from any number of airlines world wide: many people are flying these days who lack any level of civility.
Unfortunately, no different. Though I must say that I've seen less DYKWIAs in TLV than at most hubs for large global airlines (EWR, JFK, SFO, LHR, and FRA)
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: LY Plat, BMI DC Gold, VS Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, Sixt Plat
I'll add to this

Flying LHR-TLV just over a week ago (though on BA, so slightly OT), 5 Israeli females in their late 20's, sitting ABC/BC (in the row behind).
Amazing number of bags, both in terms of size and weight. They must have hit up the Duty Free, as no way that they'd have been able to get through Central Search with them.

Bags are left in the aisle (as they boarded later on), and also underneath their legs.
Cabin crew comes along, and offers to put them in spare storage in Business Class, also pointing out that they couldn't keep the ones under their legs there due to safety.
Their response? We need them with us - Business Class is far away, and how do we know we'll get them back at the end of the flight?

Crew pointed out that they wouldn't take off unless the bags were moved. Reluctant agreement, and then frantic panic at the end of the flight to get their bags, including the amazing line of 'My bags are in Business, so you need to let me (and my friends) through to get them, before you get up to get off the plane!)

Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:38 pm

A Rabbi races to the gate while davening and says to the agent" Hold on I'm just about to say the Amidah so can everyone just hold the boarding process and keep quiet". The gate agent says" Sorry sir we need to board this flight at the scheduled time Amidah or not you better be onboard".

The Rabbi feeling quite tense says "I've got a dilemma I need to be at a Rabinical Seminar in Crown Heights and I'm flying in Business Class with you", You can tell I am one of your top tier Matmid frequent fliers. The gate agent says "How many people are praying the Amidah". The Rabbi says" Enough for Hashem to hold the flight".

The Gate agent continues and says" Yes but everyone but you has boarded".

The Rabbi says" The real reason why I wanted you to hold the plane was so that I could get something to eat at the El AL King David B"H Club before boarding with a drink" I just used the Amidah to make you listen.

"Do You Know Who I am motek". The Gate agent says" No should I know who you are". The Rabbi says Yes" I am Rabbi King Matmid David and need some nosh before my flight at the so called King David B"H lounge so hold on and I'll return in a New York Minute" Nu".

LOL

Last edited by danielonn; Jun 16, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Is it really necessary to post such offensive drivel here?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Don't find it offensive, but nor did I find that "joke" in the least bit funny - seriously didn't get it.

Last edited by clubman; Jun 17, 2015 at 2:22 am
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Let's not comment on whether it should have been posted or not... as mod noted above "Posts which dwell on political, ethnic, religious topics will be deleted. If this becomes a trend the thread will be closed." ... Unless you want it closed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.