Wiki Posts
Search

TLV Slot Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
TLV Slot Question

In thinking about some of the new entrants to the TLV market, I wonder why they have such odd schedules - i.e. the Germania flight to HAM - Tuesday mornings. Typically, I'd expect people would prefer to travel on a Sunday afternoon or Monday morning so if you only had one day a week for a flight, why then? Is this some kind of restriction by the airport or just crazy planning by some of these carriers?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
I assume it has something to do with aircraft utilisation.

Germania for example, have a fleet of 24 aircraft and fly to 42 destination. And so I imagine the reason they've scheduled as they have is down to aircraft availability.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
BTW - my FIL flew with Germania last week to Karlsruhe and there were 4 passengers on board, virtually a private flight. Let's hope they market a bit better so they make a success of it.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
That's because the marketing has been limited to the "New flights from TLV" board on Flyertalk!
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not really up to the airports authorities to tell carriers when they ought to fly in order to sell more seats. The carriers have to balance schedule against utilisation.

If Germania's flights were all on Sunday afternoon, it would need 42 aircraft to serve its markets. So, some stations get the lousier schedules. Which ones? Those with the lowest PRASM.

If a carrier gets it wrong, it loses money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.