Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

TLV turnaround remaining airside

Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club

I have an incoming flight (in March) in TLV which is scheduled to arrive at 5:15. My outgoing flight is at 7:35. Is there any way I can remain airside, or do I need to exit and go through checkin and security?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Although I have never used it there is a connections centre in TLV.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
After you arrive at the circular arrivals balcony (overlooking the central plaza), on the right side there is a double door and a set of stairs which will take you down to the departures level. I have no idea if there is a desk, or anything else, or if you could go straight to the gate. But as far as I recall, this is after passport control isn't it? Is there a transfer desk somewhere?

Interested to hear what happens - if you are successful.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze

AFAIK there is an intercom in the connection center for you to notify security personnel to come and screen you... However I have never done this before. What is your itinerary?
Please do give us an update regarding the procedure after you do the connecion
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by mikebg
I have an incoming flight (in March) in TLV which is scheduled to arrive at 5:15. My outgoing flight is at 7:35. Is there any way I can remain airside, or do I need to exit and go through checkin and security?
If you have your boarding pass for the outgoing flight, and don't have checked luggage, it's possible. As mentioned above, follow the signs that say "transfer", right after you reach the circle. This is before passport control. Like others above, I've never done it and am curious to know how it goes. In particular, I doubt you'll find a transfer desk; but you should be able to proceed to the gate of your outgoing flight.

Note that if your departing flight is domestic, this isn't going to work, as domestic flights leave from Terminal 1 and you cannot transfer airside.

Shuly
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by shuly
If you have your boarding pass for the outgoing flight, and don't have checked luggage, it's possible.
... but BA's OLCI will not allow you to print a boarding pass for TLV, so I don't see how you can get that done ...

Like others above, I've never done it and am curious to know how it goes.
Hmmm. So I am going to be everyone's guinea pig?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:11 am

... but BA's OLCI will not allow you to print a boarding pass for TLV, so I don't see how you can get that done ...
Why not? I have always managed to print BP for flights on BA tom TLV...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Sure looks like it...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 2035
Why not? I have always managed to print BP for flights on BA tom TLV...
Interesting. Whenever I have tried I get a message telling me to go to the checkin desks. I shall have to hope it works this time ...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Talking

No, you are just the first of millions to use the burgeoning TLV hub airport facilities...

Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
No, you are just the first of millions to use the burgeoning TLV hub airport facilities...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
A friend of mine did this. Connecting from LY to LY.
Is is before passport control, you go down and press the intercom. They will call security and an airline representative.
For my frined with an Israeli passport it went easy. There are reports on the web of people with a non Israeli passport, they report it took a long time.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Well, in the end I didn't do it, but I probably should have! Here is what happened:

My incoming flight was early arriving, so I thought "What the heck, let's do it the old way". So I went through passport control (already with my boarding pass pre-printed) to checkin.

It was a ridiculously busy day! There was a queue for all of the agents
Security fast track went very quickly but then I had another problem: The fast track passport machines which read your palm print would not let me through, as I had only just arrived So off to the shortest looking passport queue, which was not as bad as it had seemed at first.

OK. Then I was 'free' and airside. With plenty of time left too, but it would have been MUCH quicker to do it 'properly' (I have an Iraseli passport) via the connections centre.

I don't think I will need to do such a crazy thing again, but it was an interesting experience nonetheless.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: *A
If I had loads of time I would have thought that would be a good time to try something untested. But this way we all learnt that the computers won't let you through twice on the same day.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sds1493
If I had loads of time I would have thought that would be a good time to try something untested. But this way we all learnt that the computers won't let you through twice on the same day.
Indeed. I did half suspect something like that, so I was not entirely surprised.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.