Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

King David Lounge access for Star Alliance Gold members

Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite

I was always wondering, why Star Alliance Gold members get access to the Dan lounge, but not to King David. Comparing this to, for instance, Lufthansa policy, Star Alliance Gold members get access not only to Lufthansa Business lounge, but also to Senator lounge, which I assume is equivalent to King David...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
First of all welcome to FT gruimed

I'm afraid your example of *G members getting access to Senator lounges is totally irrelevant here.
The King David lounge is purely an ELAL lounge, and so no reason why anyone other than LY passengers or status holders would have access to it.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
The Lufthansa Senator Lounge and Lufthansa Business Lounge are both operated by Lufthansa, a Star Alliance member.

The King David Lounge is operated by EL AL and exclusive for EL AL. LY isn't in *A.

The Dan Lounge is what's called a "third-party contract lounge" and is there for all the airlines in TLV that don't operate their own lounge (i.e. LY only).

So *G flying *A, or *A First/Business class, as well as OW Emerald/Sapphire, OW First/Business, ST Elite Plus and ST First/Business pax all have access to the Dan only
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
A couple of airlines including BA have access to the Dan+ lounge.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by economyman
A couple of airlines including BA have access to the Dan+ lounge.
To me, that's more of a technicality than something about a different third-party lounge. It's run by the same people and has the same amenities.

Regardless, I've managed to get in the Dan+ with my Amex when I didn't otherwise have access, and also managed when flying UA
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: SPG Gold
I wasnt impressed with the Dan+ lounge when i flew UA business class last month. I went into the Dan+ and the Dan (using my Amex card) to compare them, and while the Dan+ was quieter with less people in it, it seemed like the regular Dan lounge had a better selection of food/drinks, and the layout was better.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
Never heard about Dan+ lounge. Where is it located? Who gets access? Will star alliance gold or Visa/AMEX business cards work?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by nombody
I wasnt impressed with the Dan+ lounge when i flew UA business class last month. I went into the Dan+ and the Dan (using my Amex card) to compare them, and while the Dan+ was quieter with less people in it, it seemed like the regular Dan lounge had a better selection of food/drinks, and the layout was better.
Same selection of food and drinks but some of it is served by staff rather than self served. They are usually quite proactive in coming round and asking what you would like. For me it's mainly about it being quieter than the regular Dan lounge which can be really heaving sometimes.

I spend little time in the lounge anyway, usually arriving at check in no earlier than 1 hour before departure, but for that little time I prefer Dan+.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find the Dan with a better selection but the Dan+ quieter. Seating is slightly more comfy in the Dan BUT the Dan+ has more selection as the Dan is usually really crowded (except at 3AM).

Dan is more convenient when flying out of B/C. Dan+ is more convenient if not flying out of as it's right off the rotunda, so near the shul and duty free and food if with other people hanging out there, and no need to walk down B/C to then leave and head somewhere else.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by gruimed
Never heard about Dan+ lounge. Where is it located? Who gets access? Will star alliance gold or Visa/AMEX business cards work?
Notwithstanding joshwex90's experience, it's supposed to be for BA and UA passengers only AFAIK.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by economyman
Notwithstanding joshwex90's experience, it's supposed to be for BA and UA passengers only AFAIK.
I had never heard it being for UA. But the check-in agents at the lounge have said it's officially for Amex as well.

ETA: Just googled "dan plus airport" and the 2nd link went to UA's site and I see it now lists Dan+. It has always listed Dan. Interesting

Though it now claims it's only for BF pax and not *G. That's change I've never heard of
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
I've never heard of the Dan+ lounge either but would much prefer it to the C concourse Dan lounge, which is always a mob scene when I'm there. I'll gladly give up "better" food options for more quiet and privacy. Didn't realize it was an option for *G, even when flying up front...
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by joshwex90
To me, that's more of a technicality than something about a different third-party lounge. It's run by the same people and has the same amenities.

Regardless, I've managed to get in the Dan+ with my Amex when I didn't otherwise have access, and also managed when flying UA
2 questions:
1- when you say you get in with amex, does this mean you just show your amex card, and walk in? Or does this mean that you get in with the priority pass membership that amex supply for their platinum card members? Or the loungeclub membership given to amex gold cardholders? I have the UK *mex gold credit card which gets me loungeclub access, and I'm almost sure that it doesn't get dan+ access. Maybe the Israeli or American amex works
different

2-when it says that UA gives access to dan+ , does that mean that UA gold members (or plat. or whatever) get access even when flying, let's say, easyjet , or does it mean when UA members fly Star Alliance airlines, or does it mean solely when they fly United?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by benberg2013
2 questions:
2-when it says that UA gives access to dan+ , does that mean that UA gold members (or plat. or whatever) get access even when flying, let's say, easyjet , or does it mean when UA members fly Star Alliance airlines, or does it mean solely when they fly United?
I can't answer your first question because I've never tried with my AMEX plat but I will ask next time.
Regarding your second question though, as a general rule, not airline provides access to third party members members when not flying with it, some will to their own lounges and some won't, but I cannot believe any will to a third party lounge. For Dan+ access on BA for example you need to be flying with them in business or first or flying with them and have status (gold or silver). I'm sure it's more or less the same with UA.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benberg2013
2 questions:
1- when you say you get in with amex, does this mean you just show your amex card, and walk in? Or does this mean that you get in with the priority pass membership that amex supply for their platinum card members? Or the loungeclub membership given to amex gold cardholders? I have the UK *mex gold credit card which gets me loungeclub access, and I'm almost sure that it doesn't get dan+ access. Maybe the Israeli or American amex works
different
Not sure how it works with other Amex cards that don't provide direct lounge access but provide PriorityPass for free. I have a card that a specific benefit of the Amex card is free access to the Dan (and Dan+).

You'd need to be flying UA BF, or be *G (any airline) and flying UA. (It used to be, back when it was the Dan, that UC members flying UA also had lounge access, but they're not listed, along with *G, on UA's site.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.