Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

EL AL Knows They're Bad (But Doesn't Care)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

I spent the day today on the EL AL campus at their sales/support center.

They had a bunch of simulations of "rep" and "customer."

During them, there were different variations of customers calling to complain about something. Among the issues (based on the text alone provided by LY, not any embellishment by the individual players):
  • Why are there virtually no bonus seats ever available through Matmid, even for TPLs? LH doesn't have an issue issuing award seats, especially for elites.
  • The website stinks and I can't book a ticket, and I find it ridiculous that I then have to pay a fee to book over the phone. I'm going to BA instead where the customer isn't always wrong.
  • Why does Matmid suck? No seats, points expire way too soon, etc. I'd rather LH where miles don't expire and something else I don't remember.

No mention today of the FLY Card, though ads were all over the campus for the FLY Card and UP. Weird considering the campus likely isn't there target audience.

Last edited by joshwex90; Dec 9, 2014 at 10:05 am
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Someone "complained" that the website was really bad, confusing, etc. and giving a technical problem that he couldn't purchase a ticket.
He then got mad that the LY rep said there was nothing he could. He could either purchase the ticket over the phone but pay $10 or just wait.

Customer said it wasn't fair, and that LH or UA wouldn't make you pay for a phone booking when it was the airline's website that screwed up, and not him.
Also complained that the LY rep didn't let him speak to the technical problems desk, something UA or LH would always let him
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
LOL

BTW, The US Call center will generally wave the phone fee if u ask nicely
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As per the rules, front line employees cannot do that, and if they do that often, they can get in a lot of trouble (again, as per the rules).

Which brings up something that happened today. There was an exercise where you had to rank 6 situations, in order form worst to least bad. One of them was:
"A manager realizes that a customer has been negatively affected and is really upset over a bad answer, even though the answer is company policy and the employee didn't do anything wrong."

I said that that's not indicative of a bad employee, just a bad company with poor policies.
LY: "You are the company."
Me: "Not really. A good company can have a bad employee and a bad company can have a good employee."

Then this issue came up and I was asked what I would have done in such a situation. I said I would try my best to speak to a manager or whoever to waive the fee.

I then pointed out that this is an example of a potential good employee in a bad company.

She said that it's not a bad company, but "we can't just always waive the fee or people would take away a lot of resources by ordering tickets on the phone for free (of the fee)."

I responded: "No, because if you have a good website, EVERYONE would prefer to book on the website and not wait on the phone!"
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:57 pm

Are you trying to get a job there?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I may work there as a marketing manager
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: *A
LY may not care, but it seems that Josh does care. It'll be quite a challenge to change the general attitude, but הצלחה if you take the job.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was embarrassed to be honest.
When speaking to a friend later, we decided that I should take the job and have a coup in a few months to reform the company
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
I wish you all the best joshwex.

I will be in Israel in 2 weeks and will fly LY: can't wait
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:55 pm

Well I'd like to know in what situation do they actually care?
Non Compliance with EU?
Canceled flights?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Well, they have lost me (and the family) ... unless thay can really convince me they have a product as good as BA for the same cost (I would pay a small premium, but not much). We're on the way out.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Regarding working there, it's a moot point.
Guess they didn't like my service-oriented, customer first approach
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Regarding working there, it's a moot point.
Guess they didn't like my service-oriented, customer first approach
I think they were concerned about the proposed rebellion. I guess you'll just have to wait for LY to go bankrupt and ELY001 to take over.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sds1493
I think they were concerned about the proposed rebellion. I guess you'll just have to wait for LY to go bankrupt and ELY001 to take over.
He did promise me TPL for the duration that he's at the helm, so maybe I'd rather that

And we didn't propose the rebellion until AFTER I left
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
BTW, where is ELY001??We haven't heard from him for a while!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.