Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

UP: Why not offer redemption options for Premium?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum

Just looking at some flights for LCA next summer and wondered why they don't offer the equivalent of a Smart fair in points.

The Premium seats as essentially UP's "Business class" product so why not offer the option to book it spending additional points?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
You can buy the redemption with points and then upgrade to Smart for $80 per person. What I find annoying is that you cannot do the extra points, less taxes option on UP which means UP award tickets tend to be more expensive on the cash component part than regular LY ones, depending of course on the destination and whether or not you spend the extra $80 for Smart. On the other hands, they require less points so that's good.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by economyman
You can buy the redemption with points and then upgrade to Smart for $80 per person.
I saw that option, but does that include all Smart fare benefits like free luggage etc? I couldn't see anything about that and assumed it just meant you were paying $80 to be seated in Premium and to get a sandwich....
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by clubman
I saw that option, but does that include all Smart fare benefits like free luggage etc? I couldn't see anything about that and assumed it just meant you were paying $80 to be seated in Premium and to get a sandwich....
You are right but realistically the only additional thing you are going to have to pay for is luggage. You won't get lounge access though. I agree it's a shame it is not an option to use extra points for Smart. They're thinking is probably golds and above get all Smart features for free anyway and for others UP regular is good enough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.