Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For all our complaining

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
For all our complaining

I'm not one who flies LY that often, both on price and network reasons (hard to blame them on #2).. But I am grateful for them right about now and I think we should all take a minute and be happy that they're still flying:-)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Yes.
Fly El Al, the only reliable airline to fly to Israel

Long live El Al
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by oziman
I'm not one who flies LY that often, both on price and network reasons (hard to blame them on #2).. But I am grateful for them right about now and I think we should all take a minute and be happy that they're still flying:-)
I think I'd prefer to be safe. Airlines don't just cancel flights into an airport if there is no apparent risk - esp due to the costs etc involved. As always safety should come first over money (and in this case likely politics).
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by ANstar
I think I'd prefer to be safe. Airlines don't just cancel flights into an airport if there is no apparent risk - esp due to the costs etc involved. As always safety should come first over money (and in this case likely politics).
I certainly do respect your opinion as someone living outside Israel (and can understand why people would feel that way). However, it is a lifeline for the people who are currently outside Israel but whose homes are IN Israel. Without being sure as of now how long this situation will last, with people's jobs, homes, and whatever other things waiting at home for them without the possibility of undetermined delays, this is very important for them.

In fact, on the Israeli news, they just said that all the Israeli airlines (El Al, Arkia, and Israir) are working together to set up unplanned flights to various cities to bring home the Israelis stranded in faraway places due to their other flights being cancelled. That's pretty amazing of them, I think.

So I get what you're saying as a person who would be only visiting Israel and whose business there could easily wait for another time, but it's very different for the folks living there and who need to get home.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA silver, LH, UA
Originally Posted by ANstar
Quite incorrect. OS operates flights to Erbil in Iraq, which is so close to the Da'ash area that if Da'ash, the militant group, decides to shot down a plane, they can easily done so. Given that they had very little reservation at killing civilians, I would suspect that the chances of a MH017 catstophy in Erbil are signficantly higher than around TLV. Just my 2 cents...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by LY777
Yes.
Fly El Al, the only reliable airline to fly to Israel

Long live El Al
Now there's a surprise...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by LY777
Long live El Al
Amen to that.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:37 am

There is essentially no difference between this campaign and the same conflict in Gaza in 2012. If any, there has been almost no damage done by rockets fired to Israel in this conflict as opposed to 2012, which makes the decision to cancel flights seem strange. If they are canceled now, why weren't they canceled two years ago?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelleril
There is essentially no difference between this campaign and the same conflict in Gaza in 2012. If any, there has been almost no damage done by rockets fired to Israel in this conflict as opposed to 2012, which makes the decision to cancel flights seem strange. If they are canceled now, why weren't they canceled two years ago?
just cause they didnt stop the flights 2 yrs ago (and should have) doesnt mean therefore to continue flying today
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:01 am

The question is: what is different this time?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by travelleril
The question is: what is different this time?
The ban has been lifted.
The main difference is the length. So while 2012 may have taken some time to get off the ground, and by the time a danger could have been posed to TLV, the operation was over, here, it's going on much longer with no foreseeable end yet
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:07 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
They are helping out because they can charge twice as normal
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Nothing altruistic that I can see about LY behaviour - they are just filling their aircraft at high prices, and maximizing utilization of their fleet, since the demand greatly exceeds their capacity.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Nothing altruistic that I can see about LY behaviour - they are just filling their aircraft at high prices, and maximizing utilization of their fleet, since the demand greatly exceeds their capacity.
For which they can hardly be faulted
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:05 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Similar to Uber, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.