Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Do UP employees have lower salaries than EL AL employees.....?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: miles & more

Since UP is a low cost airline, one might imagine that its employees get lower wages than those of a regular airline. But in the case of an "in-house low cost operation", how true can this be?

Are all UP employees new employees of the El Al Group? Or are they former "regular" employees who will from now on get reduced salaries?

Are UP pilots El Al pilots?

I wonder about the way El Al's management has planned to "lowering the costs"......
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
From what I heard UP employees are of the EL AL group and will enjoy the same salaries/benefits as all EL AL employees. Therefore, EL AL is selling a low cost product while at the same time UP's operating costs are identical to EL AL's legacy costs.

This is not a good financial recipe, as putting forth a low cost product while retaining legacy costs was already played out over a decade ago in the United States by DL and UA, and the results were not very good for those carriers.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: miles & more
Originally Posted by ELY001
From what I heard UP employees are of the EL AL group and will enjoy the same salaries/benefits as all EL AL employees. Therefore, EL AL is selling a low cost product while at the same time UP's operating costs are identical to EL AL's legacy costs.

This is not a good financial recipe, as putting forth a low cost product while retaining legacy costs was already played out over a decade ago in the United States by DL and UA, and the results were not very good for those carriers.

This is exactly what I thought. But it's beyond me that such a ridiculous scheme has been implemented. Even more so when it is done by a CEO who has already given his resignation.

It would be interesting to have a look on Up's business plan. It must be full of funny things and numbers.... or it might just not exist.

Very soon, Up will join old friends such as Ted and Song on the list of defunct "low-cost airlines" established and operated by regular airlines. What is sad and frightening is that Up might very well take its mother company with it to the grave :-(
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by EL-AL 1971
Very soon, Up will join old friends such as Ted and Song on the list of defunct "low-cost airlines" established and operated by regular airlines. What is sad and frightening is that Up might very well take its mother company with it to the grave :-(
EL AL could have spent the money instead on procuring new business and first class seats for its long haul fleet and revamping Matmid, but no, they chose to resurrect a failed idea from the United States that was played out a decade ago.

I wonder how EL AL's first class long haul pax feel about those plastic fake leather seats?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: airberlin gold, club carlson gold, hhonors gold
Originally Posted by EL-AL 1971
What is sad and frightening is that Up might very well take its mother company with it to the grave :-(
as a customer i long for the day this will happen. i would fly elal in a heartbeat over any other airline if it was competitive with the dozens of other airlines flying to tlv in terms of price, seats and ff program.

this company has twice the employees and half the planes of other airlines i mean seriously how can u run a business that way?
as an israeli it is only natural i transfer my many thousands of shekels spending to elal and fly them but i dont. as i said i really do wish to fly with israeli pilots and security (yeah im one of those who feel calmer in the hands of our fellow israeli pilots) bit not under any cost.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by turbjuo
. i would fly elal in a heartbeat over any other airline if it was competitive with the dozens of other airlines flying to tlv in terms of price, seats and ff program.
You are not the only one who feels that way. There are many people who live outside of Israel who also long for the day when EL AL becomes competitive and would fly them exclusively to/from Israel.

The main reason why I started my campaign to change EL AL was because I could not stand witnessing such an iconic symbol of Israel and the Jewish people deteriorate without doing anything about it. Therefore I gave the EL AL board, including Mrs. Borovich, an entire business plan which a consultant would charge significant sums, with the hope that these people would be smart enough to use it.

Apparently I gave them too much credit and they believe "UP" is the answer, oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.