Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Ethiopian El Al codeshare *A miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ethiopian El Al codeshare *A miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by eyal
I believe that this rule applies when both the operating partner and the codeshare/marketing partner are eligible partners in the loyalty program.
Again, not the case. I've flown on an LY ticket, operated by LX, and got miles with UA. I've flown on an LY ticket operated by AA and gotten BA Avios.
blink188 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA silver, LH, UA
Well, given that the rules of M&M are clear about that (with the example I've given), the question is FFP specific (it appears that M&M have different rules than UA). I am aware of at least one SEN who flew on LY operated by LX, and got the treatment of LY, and not of SEN (not me).

Best option is to look very carefully at TK's rules, as they are the ones to credit (at the end).
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG Gold
I flew an IB Ticket on LY metal, and could NOT get LY Matmid points or AA miles. The only thing I could get were IB Avios (not even BA Avios).

This seemed to me to be one of the great ironies of these code shares, because both LY and IB let you get AA miles, and yet here with an IB Ticket on LY metal I could not. And I couldnt even get LY Matmid points.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Why would a flight operated by ET not get TK miles? Doesn't matter whether it was booked through ET, LY, or any other 3rd party. Also shouldn't matter how many different flight codes it carries. It's operated by *A miles, ergo, receives *A miles (unless of course that specific booking class doesn't get miles, but that's something else entirely)
Credit is awarded based on operating carrier (not on ticketing carrier)... However, one ought remember that certain fare classes do not earn miles on certain carrier's plans. Also, op suggested that she/he is considering a ticket from a consolidator; some airlines do not give miles for consolidator tickets.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Again, not the case. I've flown on an LY ticket, operated by LX, and got miles with UA. I've flown on an LY ticket operated by AA and gotten BA Avios.
Helpful info!! when you flew LY operated by LX - do you get star alliance gold benefits? Lounge, priority etc. ?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by blink188
Helpful info!! when you flew LY operated by LX - do you get star alliance gold benefits? Lounge, priority etc. ?
I don't think so. I remember flying to Zurich a few years ago on a Swiss operated LY flight and they wouldn't let me into the arrivals lounge as I was not "really" a Swiss passenger, but an EL AL one.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blink188

I did get some benefits. Regarding lounge, see my next response

Originally Posted by mikebg
I don't think so. I remember flying to Zurich a few years ago on a Swiss operated LY flight and they wouldn't let me into the arrivals lounge as I was not "really" a Swiss passenger, but an EL AL one.
LX doesn't always play nice with their partners - any of them. For example, if you purchase a full-fare F ticket on LX, but do it through UA so your LX-operated flight is a (*A partner) UA-issued ticket, they will not let you in the F lounge.

HOWEVER, the UA forum is filled with ways of getting around that. One is to ask (I forget if it's UA or LX) to change the BP (or even ticket) to have the LX flight number instead of UA, and that works. I would imagine the same would apply if it's LY-coded but LX-operated.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
I flew with A3 on a QR ticket and got all the *A Gold benefits (on the A3 legs) including miles credited to TK.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerby
I flew with A3 on a QR ticket and got all the *A Gold benefits (on the A3 legs) including miles credited to TK.
Makes sense because *A works based on the operating carrier as opposed to marketing carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.