Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Flying with just hand luggage from TLV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with just hand luggage from TLV

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, ELAL Platinum, VS Gold
Yes, there are now 4 positions at the new (left hand) security area but so far over the last 4 flights only a max of 2 were being used and the x-ray machines have only been in operation twice.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by nombody
As long as you have a boarding pass - and as several people including myself have posted on this thread, it works for any airline that has checkin at Terminal 1, Easyjet, Wizz Air, etc. Except for domestic flights to Eilat.
Flying next month via Easyjet and just wanted to check this 3 year old posting whether it is still true that if you just have hand luggage, one can go straight to T3 and go thru security there and not go to T1.

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by hnussbacher
Flying next month via Easyjet and just wanted to check this 3 year old posting whether it is still true that if you just have hand luggage, one can go straight to T3 and go thru security there and not go to T1.

Thanks!
No, it is not applicable any more, for T1 departing flights, you have to go to T1.
hnussbacher likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Ditto
No, it is not applicable any more, for T1 departing flights, you have to go to T1.
There is even a big sign by the HBO security check sending you to T1 (and warning that flight won't be held for you).
hnussbacher likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Thread has been dormant. When flying from TLV via Elal business w/ just hand luggage, which security line is better these days:
- the regular Elal business class security line
- the special hand luggage only security line behind the check-in counters?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Go to the regular LY business line.
Then go to the “VIP” second security

They are rennovating so there is a big mess
hnussbacher likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Houminer
Go to the regular LY business line.
Then go to the “VIP” second security

They are rennovating so there is a big mess
A big mess is an understatement.

There is no VIP line. There is no more "carry-on only" line.
There is a "Fasttrack" line on the right side of the "mess", where you have to fight to get in.
No orderly lines. Just masses of people trying to find what might be the shortest space to queue on.

Basically, the entire handbag security area has been gutted so the normal 12-15 lines of x-ray machines has now moved outside with about 6-8 machines. There is one massive snake-like line and once it gets filled up in the roped off area, it becomes a free-for-all. Not a pretty site.

Will be flying next week with just a carry-on as well as economy and not looking forward to it.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:56 pm

I am flying next week Elal, economy, with just carry-on. Any trick to beat the long Elal security line and then then the long hand bag security check?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:46 am

I am flying next week Elal, economy, with just carry-on. Any trick to beat the long Elal security line and then then the long hand bag security check?
Answering to myself. This is probably not new to seasoned Ben Gurion flyers (I have not flown for the past year for personal reasons), but the carry-on only security check is now right in the middle of the terminal hall, right behind the information desk. There is a roped off area with 3 snake-lanes able to hold about 40 people and there are 2 stations available:

Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:01 am

Yes. The problem is that there's no separation between Israeli passport holders (whose questioning typically takes 15 seconds) and others (who may take several minutes). I waited in this line 40 minutes once; but also less than 5.

When the entire line is full, it may be better to go to the check-in lanes.

Shuly
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:36 am

There is also no separation between Israelis and others on the regular lines. Why should there be here. A,so, I fly on an American passport- it takes under a minute and I’ve seen Israelis take longer.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by awayIgo
There is also no separation between Israelis and others on the regular lines. Why should there be here. A,so, I fly on an American passport- it takes under a minute and I’ve seen Israelis take longer.
The regular lines have several "sections", I don't know how it is decided which section you go to, but clearly there is some sort of separation and some queues move faster than others, also there's multiple agents at the beginning of those queues so usually one PAX taking long won't affect the entire queue.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:47 am

Having just flown from TLV last week, check-in area C had 3 marked lanes - Families, Israeli passports and Foreign passports, check-in area B is still the usual roulette with the dragon sending to whichever queue (haven't had the chance to look at others)
Then the new snake like for carryon security was about 15 minutes, much longer than the old system, on the other hand I liked the fact that there is actually space before/after the x-ray machine for the luggage, if only PAX can be patient enough to wait for the person before them to be done it would be nice, but that probably has nothing to do with the airport

Last edited by Ditto; Mar 27, 2019 at 6:58 am
Old May 22, 2019, 6:03 am

Today there were 7 hand luggage security screeners for the about 50 people on line with just hand luggage.
Took 15 minutes.
Then 15 minutes for the X-ray of hand luggage.
Was thru from car park to food court in 35 minutes. Wed afternoon.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Today there were 7 hand luggage security screeners for the about 50 people on line with just hand luggage.
Took 15 minutes.
Then 15 minutes for the X-ray of hand luggage.
Was thru from car park to food court in 35 minutes. Wed afternoon.
Did you en up going through security immediately or did you then have to go back onto the regular security line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.