Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

El Al Baggage/Carryon questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, US, AA, MR

1. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best Carry on Bag and "personal item" bag to take on El Al. The info we received from my son's school says EL AL permits one personal item (a purse, briefcase or laptop bag) and one carry-on bag on the plane.

The maximum combined linear measurement (D + W + L) of the carry-on bag is 18W+22L+10H. The maximum weight of the carry-on bag is 17 pounds (8 kg). But I can't find info on the limitations for the personal item (i.e. laptop bag).

2. Also, does El Al have any max length dimensions even if the linear measurements of the checked bag are compliant?

His original plan was to put his heaviest pieces of clothing in his carry-on to avoid a 2nd checked bag fee, but if they weigh the carryon or scrutinize the size of the personal item, not sure if that is the best plan.

We usually travel stateside and always have a generous backpack with laptop and whatever else we can shove in the backpack, plus a roller board and I've never worried about how much it weighed.

He is checking a "camp" duffle that is 30 x 15 x 15 in theory, not sure yet when stuffed (round) and within 50# limit. (max linear dimensions allowed are 62)

Any recommendations welcomed

Last edited by dhflies; Aug 18, 2013 at 4:08 pm Reason: Realized some of my post was truncated. Fixed it
Old Aug 18, 2013, 3:27 pm

O.k
Carry on item: size of the bag is important. I wouldnt attempt to try to go beyond that size in case the overhead bin is full or the carry-on suitcase just doesnt fit. Most carry-on suitcases are compliant- just be careful if you have one that extends in size with an extra zipper etc. In terms of weight- its really hit or miss. Flying OUT of TLV, I find that they do weigh the carry on's but flying INTO TLV, its dependent on the agent. Worse case scenario, have a plastic bag available, but dont get too fussed over 1 pound.
http://www.ebags.com/product/skyway/...uctid=10172429 its an inexpensive carry on, that is also light.

In terms of the personal item- I don't know if they still allow for large personal items. Still, I bring a normal size school bag (which my laptop can fit into) and fill it to the max. Basically EL AL wont take a measuring tape, but ideally it should be able to fit underneath the seat in front of you (keep in mind the size of your son's legs- are they tall or short?). If he's lucky, he can stow it in the overhead as well. You mentioned that you have a generous backpack- if its one of those large Europe-bound bags it may not be a good idea unless its not stuffed - it needs to fit underneath a seat. It might be doable, but just dont stuff it to the max. I did it once, and there was barely any room for my feet, but I got my stuff there. Short term inconvenience for long term gain...kind've worth it .
In terms of weight, the bag shouldnt seem too heavy. I have only had my backpack weighed in TLV, and it was under the weight. But havent since.
If you are bringing a carry on and a personal item, I wouldn't push the weight on the personal item too far.

Checked luggage- I still use a camp duffel (no wheels) to bring stuff over, and its slightly over-sized in length, and no one has blinked. They mostly care about weight.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:50 am

I do not know where you are starting from, but in JFK they are standing and very carefully eyeing carry on luggage. They are also putting bags that seem to be oversize in the metal baggage rack to verify size. ( don't know if they weigh since flying business they dont' care)
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

El Al Repair Shop Advice?

As luck would have it the best laid plans sometimes come with problems...

Although success in the packing end and having luggage conforming to size, weight, etc., my son arrived in Tel Aviv and upon claiming his checked bag found it with a large tear, rendering the bag unusable. (Thanks to clever packing, however, nothing appeared to have fallen out of the gaping hole, although it does appear that his bag may have been opened at some point after he checked in in the US and he hasn't fully assessed if anything is missing.)

He has a baggage damage claim in with El Al and El Al furnished him with a list of repair shops. Has anyone had any first hand experience with any of these places:
1. ARTY Rimon Ltd (Holon, Jerusalem, Netanya, Petach Tikva, Ramat Gan, Or Yehuda, Herzliya, Tel Aviv)
2. Nandy Ltd (Haifa, Kiryat Bialik)
3. Tikli (Or Yehuda)
4. Makor Hatziyud (Tel Aviv)

I believe the ARTY Petach Tikva and Herzliya locations are closest to his school.

I'm not sure a repair will be able to solve the issue, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we have to.

Any advice welcomed.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Originally Posted by dhflies
As luck would have it the best laid plans sometimes come with problems...

He has a baggage damage claim in with El Al and El Al furnished him with a list of repair shops. Has anyone had any first hand experience with any of these places:
1. ARTY Rimon Ltd (Holon, Jerusalem, Netanya, Petach Tikva, Ramat Gan, Or Yehuda, Herzliya, Tel Aviv)
2. Nandy Ltd (Haifa, Kiryat Bialik)
3. Tikli (Or Yehuda)
4. Makor Hatziyud (Tel Aviv)

I believe the ARTY Petach Tikva and Herzliya locations are closest to his school.

I'm not sure a repair will be able to solve the issue, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we have to.

Any advice welcomed.
If the rip is as bad as you described it, most places won't fix it but will replace it, so I would go to the one which is most convenient. I jhave had bags replaced for much less than that.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:13 am

His bag very well could have been opened by TSA after he checked it. They should have left a piece of paper indicating as such. While I never had a suitcase opened, any time I checked "oversize luggage" ie. a box (that has been WITHIN the dimensions) it has been opened. Did his duffle fit that criteria. A good way of knowing is did it come out the regular luggage belt or did he have to get it on the side at TLV?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awayIgo
His bag very well could have been opened by TSA after he checked it. They should have left a piece of paper indicating as such. While I never had a suitcase opened, any time I checked "oversize luggage" ie. a box (that has been WITHIN the dimensions) it has been opened. Did his duffle fit that criteria. A good way of knowing is did it come out the regular luggage belt or did he have to get it on the side at TLV?
I'll have to ask him the next time I speak/text him. There was no TSA note inside. However, I always place a twist tie through the zippers to "secure" a checked bag and he does not remember them being there when it got to his destination. The duffle just met the max dimensions, was not overstuffed (it had some room left to allow for compression.)
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: Air Miles, Aeroplan, MR
Does anyone know whether El Al allows a separate bag in addition to the carry-on bag? I have a CPAP bag I would like to bring with me and usually qualifies over and above carry-on allowance as a "medical bag/item". I can pack my camera bag into my carry-on bag but cannot fit the CPAP bag as well. Any CPAP users have experience with this?

Flying YYZ to TLV.

From El Al's website:

Permitted Weight for Carry-on Cases on EL AL Flights

Economy Class

You are entitled to one piece of hand luggage
weighing up to 8 kg (17pounds).
If you have a laptop you wish to take into the cabin, it will have to be packed within your hand luggage.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by 92redragtop
Does anyone know whether El Al allows a separate bag in addition to the carry-on bag? I have a CPAP bag I would like to bring with me and usually qualifies over and above carry-on allowance as a "medical bag/item". I can pack my camera bag into my carry-on bag but cannot fit the CPAP bag as well. Any CPAP users have experience with this?

Flying YYZ to TLV.

From El Al's website:

Economy Class

If you have a laptop you wish to take into the cabin, it will have to be packed within your hand luggage.
I have flown with a relative (also from YYZ-TLV)who flies has a CPAP bag and they didnt say a thing (over and above the carry on). Have a safe trip.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:57 pm

While most airlines do allow medical equipment, it seems to me you should email them and ask them. This way you have a written response to print out and take with you.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:43 am

I know, I probably should be emailing them, but anyone heard or seen any issues with anyone bringing a carryon + a poster tube?
I think it should be o.k
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by 92redragtop

Flying YYZ to TLV.

From El Al's website:

Economy Class

I remember when Elal specifically stated that one can bring an extra pocketbook or computer bag in addition to the carry-on. I fly tomorrow from TLV to Zurich and back the next day and was wondering whether they have gotten stricter in the past 10 months.

Or am I safe with the extra computer bag?

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by hnussbacher
I remember when Elal specifically stated that one can bring an extra pocketbook or computer bag in addition to the carry-on. I fly tomorrow from TLV to Zurich and back the next day and was wondering whether they have gotten stricter in the past 10 months.

Or am I safe with the extra computer bag?

Thanks!
99% safe.
Once in a blue moon the GA will ask people to gate check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.