Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

LY To Start BOS-TLV June 28, 2015

LY To Start BOS-TLV June 28, 2015

Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by radiowell
Hmm. Wonder if B6 will now be serious about adding Mint to BOS-LAX/SFO now that LY will fly to BOS.
I think they should strongly considering it. It's a disgrace that trashy JFK gets the Mint while classy BOS get's nothing.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Not just TK. Also: AF/KL, AZ, BA, LH, and LX.
And also, Austrian, LOT Polish Airlines, Aeroflot, Transaero, and Czech Airlines, as well.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
given that TK is the one that seems to gleefully undercut everyone else on the TLV market, I think TK is the big one to watch.

Personally, given the behavior of the Turkish leadership, I don't really trust them to provide adequate security/protection, and despite the great lounge @ IST and the (vastly superior to LY) onboard product, I'd rather fly El Al.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by entropy
Personally, given the behavior of the Turkish leadership, I don't really trust them to provide adequate security/protection...
What do you mean?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Boston Globe Rumor: LY To Start BOS-TLV

As per ynet (http://m.ynet.co.il/Article.aspx?id=4590618), the first flight will be on June 28. Although there will be 3 flights a week when the airline will be launched, it will be later expanded into 5 weekly service...
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by gordo6
As per ynet (http://m.ynet.co.il/Article.aspx?id=4590618), the first flight will be on June 28. Although there will be 3 flights a week when the airline will be launched, it will be later expanded into 5 weekly service...
Flights don't seem loaded yet. Searched LY but only finding connecting flights through EWR and JFK.
Interesting that only 1 flight on B6 EWR-BOS and 2 B6 flights JFK-BOS carry an LY flight number while no other options do.

Also, the article mentions that UA is planning TLV-SFO. I know people have wished for that, but this is the first time I'm seeing that "officially."
Old Nov 11, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Would take any other route/airline, rather then sit on a LY767 with overhead screens all the way to BOS.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
This route will be ideal for the 787
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ELAL
Would take any other route/airline, rather then sit on a LY767 with overhead screens all the way to BOS.
Actually, I find the Y seats among the most comfortable out there. Unimpeded legroom, decent seat pitch, padded seats.

Missing IFE? I can bring my own.
Missing power? Big issue
Missing WiFi? I don't mind unconnecting from the world for a bit.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
A lot of the arguments against this service upthread could also be applied to the recently announced CX BOS/HKG nonstop service; and CX is usually pretty conservative with adding routes. Remember, CX, too, already has JFK, EWR and ORD. I think that this LY service could have legs.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by radiowell
Hmm. Wonder if B6 will now be serious about adding Mint to BOS-LAX/SFO now that LY will fly to BOS.
1- why LY flys non-stop TLV-LAX and not much hi-tech in the LA area itself, maybe BOS-SFO but if B6 was smart theyd wait to see how BOS in non-coach works for LY

2- if the demand was there, then like JFK DL/AA/UA would have offered it on their flights. the only mkt that I can think of with so caleld premium service is JFK-LAX/SFO not even EWR where Ua at times throws on its A319/320s
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
1- why LY flys non-stop TLV-LAX and not much hi-tech in the LA area itself, maybe BOS-SFO but if B6 was smart theyd wait to see how BOS in non-coach works for LY
Ummmmmmmm.. right. Non-Coach long haul on LY is garbage compared to the other one-stop options from SFO (SFO-YYZ-TLV, SFO-EWR-TLV, SFO-LHR-TLV, SFO-PHL-TLV...).

If anyone think B6 is going to "mint" BOS-SFO/LAX on the basis of anything other than its own traffic, you're out of your mind. 1-2 seats 3x a week isn't going to change the P&L for anyone. Which is not to say that they won't do mint on those routes, but it won't have anything to do with LY.

I agree that BOS-TLV would be a perfect 787 route, so would most of the other 767-300 routes. If only LY wasn't stupid and cancelled their 787 order which they would've gotten dirt cheap after all the delay compensation.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by adambisi
Strange to see US drop the Saturday only AUA flights leaving it all to Jetblue. They do run double daily flights on peak days and peak seasons. A lot of that traffic is definitely connecting through CLT, AUA, MIA and JFK. Also surprised DL hasn't jumped in with a 757 on the weekends.
Not at all surprising. Airlines think in terms of hubs, despite what their marketing people say. AUA is likely low CPM for US. And passengers love B6. Use the plane elsewhere or park it - fly the people through PHL, CLT, or MIA. US/AA doesn't operate AUA-JFK nor, obviously, AUA-AUA (at least not scheduled).

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Also... AC, DL, LX, & UA
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Actually, I find the Y seats among the most comfortable out there. Unimpeded legroom, decent seat pitch, padded seats.

Missing IFE? I can bring my own.
Missing power? Big issue
Missing WiFi? I don't mind unconnecting from the world for a bit.
Yes, certainly you can. You can bring portable DVD, laptop and digital camera, as well. You don't have any problem at all. You have make sure it is fully charging on your laptop, portable DVD and digital camera.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Also... AC, DL, LX, & UA
I sampled some July dates for BOS-XXX-TLV and DL actually had some sub 1000 fares but I believe they got snatched up quick. TK's ultra-low prices tend to disappear from Memorial Day to Late August.

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Not at all surprising. Airlines think in terms of hubs, despite what their marketing people say. AUA is likely low CPM for US. And passengers love B6. Use the plane elsewhere or park it - fly the people through PHL, CLT, or MIA. US/AA doesn't operate AUA-JFK nor, obviously, AUA-AUA (at least not scheduled)
But US runs BOS-CUN/MBJ and competes with B6 and DL (on CUN). Though they both are a bit shorter (400 miles), they have to be lower yielding than AUA. US also does BOS-PLS which caters to a higher yielding crowd and is 700 miles shorter than BOS-AUA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.