Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

LY To Start BOS-TLV June 28, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LY To Start BOS-TLV June 28, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
From Boston, more people traveled to...Aruba than to Amsterdam or India??? Am I supposed to believe that??
The numbers do not lie. AMS is a slightly better hub than an O+D market but 110+ PDEW is nothing to sneeze at as well.

AUA and CUN are monster leisure routes from BOS. Virgin America is even flying charters on peak season weekends to CUN instead of letting the plane sit idle in BOS.

Strange to see US drop the Saturday only AUA flights leaving it all to Jetblue. They do run double daily flights on peak days and peak seasons. A lot of that traffic is definitely connecting through CLT, AUA, MIA and JFK. Also surprised DL hasn't jumped in with a 757 on the weekends.

To stay on topic - I wonder if B6/LY could offer the folks in TLV a BOS stopover and a week in AUA.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by adambisi
The numbers do not lie. AMS is a slightly better hub than an O+D market but 110+ PDEW is nothing to sneeze at as well.

AUA and CUN are monster leisure routes from BOS. Virgin America is even flying charters on peak season weekends to CUN instead of letting the plane sit idle in BOS.

Strange to see US drop the Saturday only AUA flights leaving it all to Jetblue. They do run double daily flights on peak days and peak seasons. A lot of that traffic is definitely connecting through CLT, AUA, MIA and JFK. Also surprised DL hasn't jumped in with a 757 on the weekends.
Where does it say the data is for O-D traffic only? I thought the data showed TOTAL traffic, including connecting pax.
I am sure many more people fly BOS-AMS to continue to other destination, than people just flying BOS-AUA.
And why is Toronto in the top 3 destinations from Boston? At last check, it is not located in the Caribbean

Note that the data from Brookings does not jive with that published on Wikipedia (which is derived from the DOT): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOS_Air...p_destinations
On Wikipedia, AUA is not even in the top 10.

Edit to add: I found another oddity, Toronto is the #2 destination from PVD although there are no flights PVD-YYZ!

Last edited by Dieuwer; Aug 14, 2013 at 11:24 am
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Where does it say the data is for O-D traffic only? I thought the data showed TOTAL traffic, including connecting pax.
I am sure many more people fly BOS-AMS to continue to other destination, than people just flying BOS-AUA.
And why is Toronto in the top 3 destinations from Boston? At last check, it is not located in the Caribbean

Note that the data from Brookings does not jive with that published on Wikipedia (which is derived from the DOT): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOS_Air...p_destinations
On Wikipedia, AUA is not even in the top 10.

Edit to add: I found another oddity, Toronto is the #2 destination from PVD although there are no flights PVD-YYZ!
PVD-YYZ only stopped this year: http://pbn.com/Air-Canada-suspends-s...TF-Green,85790

I also, anecdotally I admit, know far more people personally who have gone from BOS to CUN and AUA than I do even to LHR, never mind AMS or anywhere else. CUN and AUA are really monster tourist markets from BOS.

Also, almost no matter what definition the study has, BOS has no flights nonstop to "Developing Asia-Pacific" (I'm guessing Japan would be included in Developed Asia-Pacific") or "Eastern Europe/Central Asia" or "Middle East/North Africa" or "Sub-Saharan Africa" but all show as being a percentage of passengers. I feel safe in assuming what the study accounts for is BOS-XYZ/XYZ-BOS where XYZ is the origin or destination, not for any intermediate points.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Aug 14, 2013 at 12:37 pm
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I also, anecdotally I admit, know far more people personally who have gone from BOS to CUN and AUA than I do even to LHR, never mind AMS or anywhere else. CUN and AUA are really monster tourist markets from BOS.
Admittedly, SJU is not an "international" destination but I still wonder how it stakes up against CUN and AUA.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
The numbers are Origin and Destination.

To quote the web page: "Where is everyone going? Click here for a table of the 200 most popular origins and destinations"

So if one flies BOS-AMS-TLV. That is one trip towards TLV and not AMS though Massport counts it as a passsenger going to Europe in their stats.

You are correct in stating that more people each year fly on a BOS-AMS flight than a BOS-CUN flight since there are tens of thousands more seats available per year.

I don't have SJU traffic - its a tough one to get like mainland-Hawaii/Alaska. From BOS its a lot of cruise traffic and VFR that's for sure.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Boston is now official.... Just announced
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Announced where?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
GOt a message from the Consulate...

Direct Flights will Facilitate Growing Ties between Israel & New England

The Consulate General of Israel to New England is pleased to announce that an agreement was reached between El Al and Massport for direct flights to Tel Aviv. Consul General of Israel, Mr. Yehuda Yaakov, remarked on this achievement, "Direct flights pave the way for a further strengthening of Israel-US ties, both economically and culturally. We look forward to seeing many more of our New England friends exploring firsthand our diverse society and rich history." El Al will conduct direct flights from Boston's Logan Airport to Ben Gurion Airport beginning this summer.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Press conference by Deval Patrick being covered locally in Boston
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
This makes sense as BOS is also a hub for B6. However I'll wait for the flights to be loaded as I'm a bit sceptical...
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
GOt a message from the Consulate...
If they can make the Jetblue codeshare work from there from a pricing perspective it will be a really great option since there are so many cities that jetblue flies to from BOS. Personally I'd find it preferable to UA through EWR.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:31 pm

Just looked at this again - this will truly be awesome if it's priced right. Assuming they get the schedule right you can do an overnight from TLV, have meetings in BOS all day and then get an early evening flight to SJC or SFO on a decent airline and watch TV the whole way there. This will be really good for the techies.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Let the fare wars and trashing of yields begin!

Nonstop Flights Between Boston, Israel to Begin.
"Israeli airline El Al will begin nonstop flights between Boston and Israel in June 2015, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick announced Monday."

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england...282172401.html
http://www.bostonherald.com/business...ghts_to_israel

Last edited by Dieuwer; Nov 10, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:55 pm

"The planned route must still be approved by El Al's board of directors."?!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Also: "El Al, Jet Blue ink code share deal".

http://www.sdjewishworld.com/2014/11...de-share-deal/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.