LY CEO: Can't Join Alliance Because We're Jewish

Subscribe
http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/glob...25216&fid=1725

Sorry mods. Didn't see existing thread.
I actually think this deserves a thread of its own to be honest as it may well get lost in the other thread and not everyone will see it.

I think it's a disgrace and incredible those words actually came out of his mouth
Above link doesn't seem to work...

Here it is again:

El Al CEO: Harder for us to compensate passengers

And here is the one from Calcalist (Hebrew)

שקדי: לא מקבלים אותנו לבריתות התעופה הגדולות בגלל שאנחנו יהודים
I suppose that is one possible explanation, on the other hand it could just be because LY's route network wouldn't actually bring much new onto the table for an alliance so they are not an attractive partner from that point of view.
SQ actually has a codesharing agreement with LY but chose not to excercise that option of flying its own metal to TLV because it would cause a logistic nightmare of screening out all islamic staff. And Malaysia & Indonesia have jointly indicated that as long as LY codeshares on any SQ flight, that flight will not be allowed to enter Malaysian or Indonesian airspace. Which if you see how Changi is located, it is impossible for SQ to avoid either airspace.

So that ends that idea.
Disgusting. Knowing nothing of Tibi's bill, I can't comment, but I wouldn't put it past him (considering his track record,) of submitting a bill to spite LY. OTOH, Shkedi is chutzpadik *$%^&*. He does ZERO to improve the airline, make a true premium airline, and airline to compete on global scale, etc. and then has the chutzpa to say that?! Looking at the global business world, I see ZERO evidence that major companies of the world, ESPECIALLY in the US and Europe have any problem whatsoever with working with Jews. Looking at the driving forces behind the three alliances, you have UA/LH might very well be the driving force in *A, DL in ST, AA/BA in OW (yes, there are other players as well,) and none of them have problems working with Jews. LH-owned airline LX has codeshares with LY, as does AA. DL has interline agreements.
Shkedi should be sacked, and a competent CEO should replace him; and competent in the business and airline world, NOT competent simply because he was once IAF commander.
Quote: Knowing nothing of Tibi's bill, I can't comment, but I wouldn't put it past him (considering his track record,) of submitting a bill to spite LY.
Why jump to conclusions without first looking up the facts?
Haaretz - Flight's very tardy? Bill would assure you of hotel and meals
Quote:
Airline passengers going abroad whose flights are delayed by at least two hours will be entitled to food and drink, two telephone calls, and either a fax message or an e-mail, if a bill approved by the Knesset Economic Affairs Committee yesterday becomes law. The bill, introduced by MK Ahmed Tibi (United Arab List-Ta'al ), will be presented to the full Knesset for a vote on first reading.

The bill includes compensation for passengers whose flights have been delayed or canceled and for passengers who have been denied boarding despite having a reserved seat. Under various circumstances, the proposed law would provide practical assistance, expense reimbursement, another airline ticket or financial compensation. The law would require the operator of the flight to clearly and prominently advise passengers of their rights and would have violations of the law handled by the Industry, Trade and Labor Ministry.

Haaretz - No compensation if flight is canceled to avoid violating Shabbat, MKs decide
Quote:
The bill, sponsored by MK Ahmed Tibi (United Arab List-Ta'al ), details the compensation and help airlines are required to give passengers whose flights are delayed or canceled. The committee approved an article stating that airlines that are forced to cancel flights so as not to make passengers violate the Jewish Sabbath need not pay the passengers any financial compensation.
I specifically did NOT jump to any conclusions. I specifically said I CAN'T comment on the article
Quote: I specifically did NOT jump to any conclusions. I specifically said I CAN'T comment on the article
Then why the following?
Quote: ...but I wouldn't put it past him (considering his track record,) of submitting a bill to spite LY.
Seems very judgmental to me.

BTW, the context of Shkedi's remarks was included in the article linked in the OP:
Quote:
Eliezer Shkedi told the Knesset Economic Affairs Committee today that the airline was less able to compensate passengers for delayed or cancelled flights than other airlines. The committee is discussing a private member's bill on the issue by Ahmed Tibi (Ra'am-Ta'al).
judgmental because Tibi has a track record. I tried to make that quite clear in my post
I'm not surprised. Typical of LY to blame anything but themselves....

Global alliances typically look to fill "holes" in their networks.

What does LY offer? TLV-Europe, TLV-Russia, TLV-NYC/YYZ, TLV-BKK/HKG and a flight or two to ZA.

SkyTeam has Europe to everywhere that could connect over TLV from KL/AF/AZ, ST has DL NYC-TLV (major route).

Star has Europe to everywhere with LX/OS/LH. Star has the most North America-TLV with YYZ (AC), 2X EWR (CO), PHL (US). No way.

Oneworld has europe to everywhere with BA (and IB I guess), BUT, they have the best fit for LY (possibly) if LY codeshares with RJ on the TLV-far east, those passengers could avoid schlepping around the arabian peninsula. And OW doesn't have any TLV-North america. And, AA codeshares with LY already, so why bother with the "alliance".

The truth is that LY is a penny-ante operator. They're as cheap as possible at every turn. The best thing an alliance could get out of LY is a dumping ground for their old planes.
We all know that if El Al treats its business partners half as badly as it does its business customers, there's no chance of them joining an alliance.

Star Alliance has a huge number of overlapping partners, we know that's not the issue.

El Al likely negotiated too hard, and is too inflexible, by nature of it being an Israeli company. They need to accept fair terms and join an alliance for the benefit of their customers.

One of the many reasons I avoid El Al - outside of Tel Aviv, your status is worthless.
Quote:
One of the many reasons I avoid El Al - outside of Tel Aviv, your status is worthless.
According to a few other threads here, unless you're TPL your LY status is worthless @ TLV too...

LY is clueless when it comes to business, unfortunately. As you said, to both its customers and business partners. I can only imagine what their discussion with Boeing was on the 787.... "more discount, we may be buying below cost, but we need more discount, otherwise we just buy 20 year old 767s!"
Quote: LY is clueless when it comes to business, unfortunately. As you said, to both its customers and business partners. I can only imagine what their discussion with Boeing was on the 787.... "more discount, we may be buying below cost, but we need more discount, otherwise we just buy 20 year old 767s!"
HAHA - quite likely actually
None of the alliances need LY. It really doesn't plug any holes. Getting to TLV from N. America, S. America (via Europe or N. America), is exceedingly easy w/o LY.

The most difficult places to get to from TLV is India and the rest of Asia. But via TLV's handful of flights, connections via IST, AMM, and that random KE flight to ICN, people seem to get by.

When Moshiach comes and there's peace everywhere and everyone loves each other, maybe someday there will be flights on Qatar, Etihad, and Emirates from TLV to DOH, AUH, and DXB. LY would finally have to compete with real airlines instead of being shielded from competition as a side effect of geopolitical realities.