FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   El Al Food Service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1280546-el-al-food-service.html)

badatz Nov 16, 2011 5:14 am

El Al Food Service

I just got back from a quick TLV-EWR-TLV in Y and was very disappointed with the food service. It seems that there has been a serious deterieration in quality and presentation.

For the outbound evening meal we were served sandwiches (choice of tuna or beef, but tuna ran out before they got to me). The beef was bathing in techina, which is not loved by all especially me and as the tuna was out, there was basically nothing to eat. There was also a small pudding served

Luckily the gentlemen next to me ordered the SKML which he didn't want and he gave it to me. It was a large long roll stuffed with a schwarma type meat which was so good that I asked the FA if another was available, which it was

At breakfast the omlette was paper thin and looked like it was prepared a year ago. Again the SKML was much better with a flufy omlette included.

On the way back the Regal SKML meals for dinner and breakfast again outshone the El Al meal and for some reason I lucked out with another passenger who was not hungry sitting next to me who gave me his meals.

Looks like I'll be ordering SKML from now on.

clubman Nov 16, 2011 5:38 am

Originally Posted by badatz (Post 17459524)
Looks like I'll be ordering SKML from now on.

Wouldn't your name suggest you would be anyway...? ;)

Food is a disgrace much more so since the "improved" food offering...

See an older discussion on the matter:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al...d-improve.html

badatz Nov 16, 2011 5:45 am

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 17459581)
Wouldn't your name suggest you would be anyway...? ;

Names aren't always what they seem to be
I am a firm believer in the institution of the "Rabbanut"

joshwex90 Nov 16, 2011 10:01 am

I guess everyone's different. I personally enjoy the breakfast a lot more since the change.

Also, while I know what SKML is, based on context, what does it stand for? Special Kosher Meal?

badatz Nov 16, 2011 10:31 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 17461088)
I guess everyone's different. I personally enjoy the breakfast a lot more since the change.

Also, while I know what SKML is, based on context, what does it stand for? Special Kosher Meal?

According to the Sabre system website it is "Strictly Kosher Meal"

TWA884 Nov 16, 2011 10:43 am

These meals are (sort of) described on the El Al website (Special Meals). From the context, it is hard to tell if SKML is an acronym for Special Kosher Meal or Strictly Kosher Meal.

joshwex90 Nov 16, 2011 10:48 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 17461374)
These meals are (sort of) described on the El Al website (Special Meals). From the context, it is hard to tell if SKML is an acronym for Special Kosher Meal or Strictly Kosher Meal.

Site indicates "Strictly Kosher Meal."

NYTA Nov 23, 2011 2:56 am

I have to tell you - compared to some other airlines, ElAl is still pretty good - on a DME-TLV flight in coach a few weeks ago I got pasta bolognese with warm bread on the side - even on Alitalia they don't serve that and I haven't had warm bread on any SkyTeam airline including Delta in Business class!

Believe me it could be much worse.

ELAL Nov 23, 2011 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 17502396)
even on Alitalia they don't serve that

:rolleyes::rolleyes: However hard you try you can't be worse than Alitalia, would rather walk then fly Alitalia (and be ripped of, get no service, and have my luggage dissapear and than talk to the wall)

Sorry for the tone, I'm simply furious with them!

joshwex90 Nov 24, 2011 5:18 am

Originally Posted by ELAL (Post 17505821)
:rolleyes::rolleyes: However hard you try you can't be worse than Alitalia, would rather walk then fly Alitalia (and be ripped of, get no service, and have my luggage dissapear and than talk to the wall)

Sorry for the tone, I'm simply furious with them!

I know a bunch of people who have a nice "insurance scheme/scam" going on. They fly Alitalia, check the max allowable luggage, and by insurance. They always seem to be coming out on top!

rraful Nov 26, 2011 2:33 pm

Real meaning

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 17461088)

It stands for Strictly kosher. It's especially for people who are orthodox.
The best would be to order SCML as for Strictly Child as it's simple but delicous

ELAL Nov 27, 2011 1:11 am

Originally Posted by rraful (Post 17518845)
The best would be to order SCML as for Strictly Child as it's simple but delicous

Welcome to FT!

With more active members, hopefully this forum will come back to live again.

joshwex90 Nov 27, 2011 9:07 am

Originally Posted by rraful (Post 17518845)

Welcome to FT!!

What's included in the SCML?

rraful Nov 27, 2011 12:08 pm

It includes french fries and a piece if chicken cutlets

joshwex90 Nov 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by rraful (Post 17522395)
It includes french fries and a piece if chicken cutlets

Yum!! :)