Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying ELAL

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by amrom
I find it hard to believe someone not orthodox uses the word "daven" ("pray" in yiddish) over pray.
If I see the word daven written, than I would not expect a complaint that LY does not fly on shabbat, and therefore needs to fly LH.
Could be a "datlash".
Old May 28, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, LY PL, PC Platinum, RCCL Diamond
Originally Posted by gal Rosenberg
As a member who used to be ELAL lover and being the one who bashed everyone for slaming ELAL, I have to say I came to my senses and am asking everyone for their excuse. I have stopped flying ELAL last year May and since I moved back to LH/OS/LX/CO and to BA and KLM - depending on the route I have to fly.

I do not regret the move for a moment! The distance between ELAL and the other airlines not only in price but also in terms of product is as far as the distance between the earth and Mars.

Peace everyone...
Hi Gal,
May I ask what made you change your mind and switch? You write in retrospect that it was a good move that you do not regret but what made you change your mind in the first place?
Also, do you choose LH/LX/CO etc over LY even on possibly direct flight with LY?
Best,
Yoav
Old May 28, 2011, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Something tells me this is not the appropriate place to be discussing someone ELSE'S religious views!

Originally Posted by economyman
Could be a "datlash".
Old May 29, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, FB PL, LY PL, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, PC Royal Ambassador, BW Platinum
Originally Posted by gal Rosenberg
I do not regret the move for a moment! The distance between ELAL and the other airlines not only in price but also in terms of product is as far as the distance between the earth and Mars.

Peace everyone...
Hi Gal,
For my opinion is matching expectaions, I fly 80% of my flights with EL-AL,
Dont i have complains, I do, Will they change anything?, They wont...
Do i have better alternative for what i am searching? Not...
So depends on your profile, moving to others might be a perfect solution,
for others its not...

- Pricing, I dont understand you all..., EL-AL have competitive prices in many of the cases, If they are not, you can disucss with them and get a discount.
Trying to go TLV -> SYD -> TLV for 5 days in BA Economy is 6700$, in EL-AL C Class (Including BKK to SYD in BA C!) its 5700$.
Believe me, i need to compare prices on every flight at my work...

- Service, Since i fly very often (you did as well) the personal touch of the FAs in EL-AL is missing at the other airlines (Even if i manage to fly by mistake BA 3 times with the same crew, still not the same).

- Planes, Well you are right here! 8-)

-Direct Flights and Modifications, I think EL-AL wins here, At least for me,
I need direct flights, I need to be super flexible (given the air-line schedule),
I need to know that if i landed at 10am, and took a 3 days ticket, but finished my work after 4 hours, i can appear in the airport same night for the flight back without telling anyone, And know i will be on the flight, overbooked or not, 95% with no need to add a single cent or give any excuse.

So yes, Flying other might be better for you, that doesnt say its better for everyone... I could be a HON if i would stick to LH, or BA Gold (Would say even Black) but i have done my decision based of what i need and not what i wish.

Ebzed...
Old May 29, 2011, 12:33 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by entropy
with breakfast (ex TLV) being substantially better thanks to the great Israeli salad.
Seriously? How good can Israeli salad be?
Old May 29, 2011, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ebzed
- Pricing, I dont understand you all..., EL-AL have competitive prices in many of the cases, If they are not, you can disucss with them and get a discount.
Trying to go TLV -> SYD -> TLV for 5 days in BA Economy is 6700$, in EL-AL C Class (Including BKK to SYD in BA C!) its 5700$.
I disagree with you on this one.

LY's prices in many cases (of course, not all) are considerably higher than others, and often offering a lower fare bucket earning you very few points even when fares are extremely high.

Pricing is a matter of timing, how full the flights you are looking at are etc, but I still have no idea how you managed to price TLV-SYD-TLV in Y at $6700?

Every date I have played around with is coming up at around $2800 for Y, or $6300 for C.

In regards to calling LY and negotiating a price, I don't get this concept...
Are you telling me that when I see a price for say TLV-LHR-TLV on the website, I can just call them up and start negotiating?
Old May 29, 2011, 1:38 am

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, FB PL, LY PL, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, PC Royal Ambassador, BW Platinum
Originally Posted by clubman
Pricing is a matter of timing, how full the flights you are looking at are etc, but I still have no idea how you managed to price TLV-SYD-TLV in Y at $6700?

Every date I have played around with is coming up at around $2800 for Y, or $6300 for C.
On the dates i needed that was the price (i have screenshots if you need, i keep it for the record), When our customer came with BA for 3 days visit from SYD, He paid 8,200AUD$ in Y.
Again its all about when you book, and what is going on in the world...

Originally Posted by clubman
In regards to calling LY and negotiating a price, I don't get this concept...
Are you telling me that when I see a price for say TLV-LHR-TLV on the website, I can just call them up and start negotiating?
No... First, Open a business account in LY, If you fly in average 30 to 50k$ a year you entitled to have such one (they will open even if you are a smaller one), Then you negotiate your discounts, Can be from 5% to 20% on S Class
and from 1% to 8% on Q class, you can also negotiate than on K/V classes you want pay ticket changes and etc...
After that, If you have a specific route, where even with the discount, the competitors offer cheaper fare on similar ticket (compare D to D and not D to W for example), you can discuss with your account manager which will work on getting you better prices if possible.
Old May 29, 2011, 2:02 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Shimon
The JFK passenger tend to be full of people like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTLHk...layer_embedded
that video is hyterical!
Old May 29, 2011, 2:13 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by amrom
I find it hard to believe someone not orthodox uses the word "daven" ("pray" in yiddish) over pray.
i am not orthodox (also not a datlash) and almost always say daven (thank you Rabbi Cohen for a very good religious education.
Old May 29, 2011, 2:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
On the dates i needed that was the price (i have screenshots if you need, i keep it for the record), When our customer came with BA for 3 days visit from SYD, He paid 8,200AUD$ in Y.
Again its all about when you book, and what is going on in the world...

No... First, Open a business account in LY, If you fly in average 30 to 50k$ a year you entitled to have such one (they will open even if you are a smaller one), Then you negotiate your discounts, Can be from 5% to 20% on S Class
and from 1% to 8% on Q class, you can also negotiate than on K/V classes you want pay ticket changes and etc...
After that, If you have a specific route, where even with the discount, the competitors offer cheaper fare on similar ticket (compare D to D and not D to W for example), you can discuss with your account manager which will work on getting you better prices if possible.
1. I won't comment on your first point regarding pricing to Australia as I never fly there and have never checked it but BA are consistently, and I mean consistently cheaper than LY on almost all flights I price up and I like you always make comparisons.

2. Regarding negotiating, I have a business account with LY. I put north of $35K LY's way every year and negotiated discounts with them on S, Y, Q, C, D. However, they are not always flexible enough which has lost them my custom. For example I was flying monthly to TLV-BOD-TLV with LY and I tried to negotiate a better price for that route for flexible Y because BA (Premium Economy) and AF were much more competitive. They would not budge and I no longer fly with them. That lost them about $15K of business per year.

Furthermore, I don't need to negotiate anything when flying BA to the US, I consistently get lower pricing in business than with LY in business and with full points compared to LY's W class crappy points accumulation.

At the end of the day, for someone like you ebzed, I can certainly see the benefits and reasons for flying LY but in discussions with several regular flying friends and from information on this board I would say LY are generally not competitive. Whether this is causing them to lose market share, particularly of lucrative business travelling customers like me I have no idea. They have lost my business but may have gained someone else at the same time. That's for their bean counters to work out, not for me.
Old May 29, 2011, 2:55 am

Hi Gal,
For my opinion is matching expectaions, I fly 80% of my flights with EL-AL,
Dont i have complains, I do, Will they change anything?, They wont...
Do i have better alternative for what i am searching? Not...
So depends on your profile, moving to others might be a perfect solution,
for others its not...

- Service, Since i fly very often (you did as well) the personal touch of the FAs in EL-AL is missing at the other airlines (Even if i manage to fly by mistake BA 3 times with the same crew, still not the same).

- Planes, Well you are right here! 8-)

-Direct Flights and Modifications, I think EL-AL wins here, At least for me,
I need direct flights, I need to be super flexible (given the air-line schedule),
I need to know that if i landed at 10am, and took a 3 days ticket, but finished my work after 4 hours, i can appear in the airport same night for the flight back without telling anyone, And know i will be on the flight, overbooked or not, 95% with no need to add a single cent or give any excuse.

So yes, Flying other might be better for you, that doesnt say its better for everyone... I could be a HON if i would stick to LH, or BA Gold (Would say even Black) but i have done my decision based of what i need and not what i wish.

Ebzed...
Re TLV-SYD-TLV - can you do it on BA (via LHR) in business class (R) for $5200 including taxes. I did it last year. You may need to call BA call center to book it.
Old May 29, 2011, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by damaxer91
Seriously? How good can Israeli salad be?
For me, it's the fact that they have a large and true salad, as opposed to 2 pieces of lettuce and 3 halves of cherry tomatoes.
Old May 29, 2011, 3:18 am

Programs: LY Plat, BMI DC Gold, VS Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
For me, it's the fact that they have a large and true salad, as opposed to 2 pieces of lettuce and 3 halves of cherry tomatoes.
Where did the fourth half go?
Old May 29, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by sn1ke
3 go for the business class salad, and the fourth is for the cattle class salad.
Old May 29, 2011, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sn1ke
Guy next to me had 5 halves...go figure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.