Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Free Matmid Membership Class Action Lawsuit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver

I received an email earlier this morning about an Israeli class action lawsuit regarding wet lease flights. I flew on an Up flight operated by Travelservice back in 2016, which leads me to think I should be eligible for the membership, but upon entering my information I get a message telling me I do not meet the eligibility criteria. Does anyone know anything about this?

Here is a link to El Al's website explaining the class action (sadly only in Hebrew).

Any assistance is much appreciated.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by okamzikprosim
I received an email earlier this morning about an Israeli class action lawsuit regarding wet lease flights. I flew on an Up flight operated by Travelservice back in 2016, which leads me to think I should be eligible for the membership, but upon entering my information I get a message telling me I do not meet the eligibility criteria. Does anyone know anything about this?

Here is a link to El Al's website explaining the class action (sadly only in Hebrew).

I also got it, gave up on using Google translate and just sent it to my nephews Israeli wife for help. It’s unconscionable that it’s not in English too.
okamzikprosim likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 8:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
If you bought an El Al ticket between January 28, 2009 and April 25, 2021, and your flight was operated by another carrier as a wet lease, you may be eligible for a benefit.

Travelers who purchased package deals or wholesale priced tickets are excluded.

If you are not a Matmid member, you may join the program free of charge. If you are a Matmid member, you are entitled to receive 25 Matmid points.

You may receive your bonus until December 1, 2023, or until the limit specified in the settlement agreement is reached, whichever occurs first, on a first come first served basis.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by TWA884
If you bought an El Al ticket between January 28, 2009 and April 25, 2021, and your flight was operated by another carrier as a wet lease, you may be eligible for a benefit.

Travelers who purchased package deals or wholesale priced tickets are excluded.

If you are not a Matmid member, you may join the program free of charge. If you are a Matmid member, you are entitled to receive 25 Matmid points.

You may receive your bonus until December 1, 2023, or until the limit specified in the settlement agreement is reached, whichever occurs first, on a first come first served basis.
I did buy such a ticket though. When I try to join it tells me that I am ineligible for the offer. That's why I'm confused. I've tried to reach out to El Al regarding this to no avail thus far. Unless El Al considers all Up flights as wholesale, I am pretty sure my ticket wasn't a wholesale priced ticket.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 9:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did buy such a ticket though. When I try to join it tells me that I am ineligible for the offer. That's why I'm confused. I've tried to reach out to El Al regarding this to no avail thus far. Unless El Al considers all Up flights as wholesale, I am pretty sure my ticket wasn't a wholesale priced ticket.
I have no idea. I simply translated the announcement of the class action lawsuit settlement.

They use different terminology than we use in the US; I suspect that wholesale prices for tickets are the same as consolidator fares.

I have no idea what 25 Matmid points will get you; doesn't seem like much.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 3:32 am

I flew on an Up flight operated by Travelservice back in 2016,
I would assume this is your issue - because UP is not Elal AFAIK. I think they are regarded as 2 separate airlines in this regard. My UP flight was also considered not eligible for this.
You could possibly have a claim against UP, but they closed down, so no-one to claim from.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:40 am

I definitely have a flight. It was supposed to be ELAl. I forget if it was to or from London. I’ll keep you guys posted when and if I actually file
Old Dec 29, 2022, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

El Al replied to me by email (in Hebrew for some reason, despite me reaching out in English). It turns out I am eligible and now just need to fill out the application they provided to me directly (also in Hebrew). I was able to switch the language by changing the heb part of the URL to eng.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:16 am

i got the email, havent entered in my info yet, but there was a thread here on those wetlease flights because it went on so long especially for YYZ.
Its weird that the restitution seems to be worthless matmid points (or free membership). not sure what one has to do with the other.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Why is El Al even still charging to become a member of Matmid? Are there any other FF programs that do this?

Its not like there is any great benefit they give that justifies this charge.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:39 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by nombody
Why is El Al even still charging to become a member of Matmid? Are there any other FF programs that do this?

If u join via the app it is free
Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by nombody

Maybe they do this to keep away spammers, and people opening extra accounts e.g. for one off promos and never using it again.

If someone is flying enough that it's worth it to collect points, its also worth it to pay for an account.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Houminer
If u join via the app it is free
Which makes this class action settlement worth even less than it seemed at first, which wasn't much.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
Which makes this class action settlement worth even less than it seemed at first, which wasn't much.
I was looking on the El Al website and even without the app you can join Matmid for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.