Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

The EL AL FAQ (Newbie Questions Welcome - Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sabbasolo
Feel free to pitch in with edits for content, additional posts and threads to be linked in the wiki, or general clean up - but please be as accurate and clear as possible!

WELCOME TO THE FLYERTALK EL AL MATMID THREAD! THIS IS A COMMUNITY-MAINTAINED WIKI FOR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT EL AL, MATMID, ELAL.COM, AND THE LY FT THREAD. PLEASE READ FIRST BEFORE POSTING!

This thread is FLAME-FREE! Please recognize newbies who are posting here as well, and respond accordingly!!

Help me understand FlyerTalk and EL AL Matmid Forum lingo!

Flying with EL AL?
Frequent flyer with EL AL?
Need to contact EL AL?
Want general information about EL AL?
EL AL Online:

Important Threads From the Matmid forum!
Another FT thread: Traveling in Israel, for help navigating transportation in Israel

And from EL AL's website: Fly a Lot? EL AL Offers You a Ticket Pack
Upgrade to Premium Classes On-Board Your Flight!

Have a question? Do a SEARCH! Before posting a new thread, search first! There are 2 ways of searching FlyerTalk!
  1. Inside the specific forum, click on "Search this Forum" for results from within the El Al Matmid forum. To search all of FlyerTalk, click on "Search" located above the forum.
  2. By using Google. Duh! To search FT using Google, first type "site:www.flyertalk.com," and then a space, and then type what you want to search. (Leave out the quotation marks and comma!)
Searched? Can't find what you're looking for? Posting a new thread is simple. Try giving a descriptive title, and try not reviving really old threads! Note of caution: Posting in mega-threads (threads that may have been merged, or have posts from a wide range of years,) may not yield results.
Print Wikipost

The EL AL FAQ (Newbie Questions Welcome - Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Anyone know what J class on LY metal earns on AA?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I have moved my entire OP into the newly created wiki. Feel free to update as needed!

I included some new threads relating to UP
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:46 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Sure you need that bolder first part? The Wiki should be the clean area, no? If yes, we can remove Development from the title.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Removed it - I literally copied and pasted from the OP and then added. It's been removed, and feel free to rename this without "Development"

We've come a long way!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As much as this remains somewhat dormant, I updated the wiki to reflect that this is a FLAME-FREE thread! Newbies may very well post here, and please ensure to respond in kind!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: All of 'em
Is it easy to get them to waive the official $60 fee on award ticket changes? I'm being told that it is.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One thing I've seen with fees is they're more willing to waive when it comes to talking to PLs and TPLs, even if not for them. As in, I got them to waive a fee for me just by having my father-in-law call for me
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: All of 'em
Thx for the data point.
Would having an official TA call in help as well?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:06 am

If I am reading this correctly, if I fly from Seattle to TLV, book a flight via travel agent using El Al (code share flight on AA shows El Al flight number from TLV to JFK) would I have to pay bag fees for a second bag on the AA portion, even though I'm PL on El Al?

Originally Posted by joshwex90
EL AL has standardized their luggage fees across all LY-operated flights.

All Non-Status Passengers, Including Matmid TLs and KDL Members
  • First Class - 3 pieces, each up to 32 kilo/70.4 pounds
  • Business/Platinum Class - 2 pieces, each up to 32 kilo/70.4 pounds
  • Economy/Tourist Class - 1 piece, up to 23 kilo/50.6 pounds (NOTE: Economy Class Plus/Tourist Class Plus has the same luggage limit - NO ADDITIONAL ALLOWANCE)

Silver (SL) Matmid Members
  • First Class - 3 pieces, each up to 32 kilo/70.4 pounds
  • Business/Platinum Class - 2 pieces, each up to 32 kilo/70.4 pounds
  • Economy/Tourist Class (Including Economy/Tourist Class Plus) - 2 pieces, each up to 23 kilo/50.6 pounds

Gold (GL)/Platinum (PL)/TOP Platinum (TPL)
First Class - 4 pieces, each up to 32 kilo/70.4 pounds
Business/Platinum Class - 3 pieces, each up to 32 kilo/70.4 pounds
Economy/Tourist Class (Including Economy/Tourist Class Plus) - 2 pieces, each up to 32 kilo/70.4 pounds
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonj
If I am reading this correctly, if I fly from Seattle to TLV, book a flight via travel agent using El Al (code share flight on AA shows El Al flight number from TLV to JFK) would I have to pay bag fees for a second bag on the AA portion, even though I'm PL on El Al?
If you are booked SEA-JFK-TLV-JFK-SEA with the domestic flights on AA and the international on LY but marketed by AA (booked under AA ticket stock with AA flight number), then AA's rule would apply for the entire journey. Which means, if flying Y and not a OW elite, then yes, 1 X 23 KG bag.

The reason is that the MSC rule applies, which in this case would be LY for the JFK-TLV flight. HOWEVER, US law (which trumps IATA 302) defines the MSC as the MARKETING carrier (AA here) and not the operating carrier. (This rule applies for journeys starting/terminating in the USA.)

Last edited by joshwex90; Aug 17, 2014 at 6:03 am
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:57 am

A bit different. TLV-JFK on LY, JFK-SEA on B6, then SEA-JFK-TLV AA/LY. But this shouldn't make a difference? Same idea? I can't find anything on American's site to confirm...

You're booked SEA-JFK-TLV-JFK-SEA, with the domestic portions on AA and the international portions on LY?

If so, I believe the Most Significant Carrier (MSC) rule should apply, granting you 2 X 32 KG.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A bit different. TLV-JFK on LY, JFK-SEA on B6, then SEA-JFK-TLV AA/LY. But this shouldn't make a difference? Same idea? I can't find anything on American's site to confirm...
I edited my previous response anyways. However, if that's the case, then the answer is slightly different.

Your first flight is TLV-JFK on LY?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:23 am

Hi Josh - my first flight is TLV-JFK on LY and the ticket number will be an LY ticket number.

I edited my previous response anyways. However, if that's the case, then the answer is slightly different.

Your first flight is TLV-JFK on LY?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi Josh - my first flight is TLV-JFK on LY and the ticket number will be an LY ticket number.
So you should be getting 2X32 for the whole journey according to IATA 302 (MSC Rule)
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:11 am

Great - thanks so much for the help!

So you should be getting 2X32 for the whole journey according to IATA 302 (MSC Rule)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.