Now partners with Emirates!

Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Now partners with Emirates!

From an email from corporate HQ:

We are excited to announce that both Dollar and Thrifty will be joining Emirates' Skywards frequent flyer program on August 20. I'm sure you've read about their newest jet, the A380, with it's double deck and showers in first class. They have an fantastic program and very loyal members. We look forward to this new relationship and showing them our outstanding customer service.

The two-digit airline code for Emirates is EK. They have a 9-digit frequent flyer number. Please be sure your rental counter agents enter all 9-digits into the frequent flyer number field.

Here is our award structures:

Dollar:
500 miles for rental on rentals of 29 days or less.
1,000 miles for rentals of 30 days or more

Thrifty:
500 miles per rental for rentals outside of the UAE
For rentals occurring in the UAE, Thrifty will award 500 miles on rentals of 1 to 2 days in length; 750 miles for rentals of 3 to 4 days in length and 1,000 miles for rentals of 5 days or more.

They fly to JFK, IAH, YYZ and will begin service to LAX on October 16 and to SFO on December 15.

The cost per transaction to your location will be $15.

Both brands are kicking off this new partnership by offering 1,000 bonus miles on rentals of any car type rented for 3 days or longer. Valid from August 20 thru December 31, 2008. Promo code is EK1K. There is no additional charge for the bonus miles.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 4:34 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : utstarc711/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

That seems like a large charge per rental given a weekend rate which can in as low as ten dollars a day. I am glad to see this new addition to the dtag lineup.

Last edited by Mrp Alert; Aug 23, 2008 at 4:36 am
Old Aug 23, 2008, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : utstarc711/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

That seems like a large charge per rental given a weekend rate which can in as low as ten dollars a day. I am glad to see this new addition to the dtag lineup.
I was waiting for someone to comment on that. (I wasn't sure if I should redact that information, but I wanted to get a response to it, since the general attitude I seem to get from FTers is that whatever fees the rental agency collects is pure profit, and anything over, oh, about $15 per day is price gouging ). Just to clarify, though, that is what the location pays to DTAG HQ (which may pass it directly on to Emirates; I'm not sure what that cost is), not what the customer pays. The customer's charge is nothing, at least for Emirates and other foreign flag carriers (except NH, for some reason); a tax recovery surcharge is charged to customers for most U.S.-based carriers.

It does seem to be a large charge in comparison to other mileage partners. I believe the cost to each location for most other airline partners is in the $4-7 range, though that information might be out of date.

Between the various and sundry costs and fees paid by each location for doing business (fees to HQ, concession fees/annual guarantees, staffing costs, maintenance costs, etc.) and the risk that renting a car carries to a location, a $10-per-day weekend rate is almost not worth doing. It would almost cost less money to just have the cars sitting on the lot and not exposed to the risks of unfound/uncollectable damage (at least at most franchises; corporate locations might calculate damage costs differently--I know Enterprise locations' books don't necessarily get dinged for the full cost of uncollectable damages if they follow certain proper procedures or the customer bought LDW). Almost. (Otherwise, rental agencies would probably skip out on weekend rates and just do that...)

Last edited by jackal; Aug 23, 2008 at 6:10 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.