Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ford discontinuing Fusion, Taurus, Focus, Fiesta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:46 am
Original Poster

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/f...sta-us-market/
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:40 am

I started the same type of discussion in another thread. I asked what will happen to rental rates and availability for small and medium size cars, as domestic automakers remove such vehicles from their home market.

Unless, your discussion intent was to focus (pun intended) on this decision specifically. In other words, does Ford erroneously assume that car buyers will prioritize staying with Ford and move up to a truck, vs go to a foreign competitor that offers a car that more closely meets the customer's need for something smaller?
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
There will be no immediate impact on rental fleets.
The Taurus will be the first to be phased out of production starting in May 2019 ... that doesn't mean it will disappear from rental company inventories ... Ford, doubtless, will have plenty of vehicles to shift and will offer generous incentives to rental fleets.
Maybe in 15-18 months, will some of these models become slightly less ubiquitous.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:09 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

The Japanese and Korean manufacturers are more than happy to supply small and medium sized sedans to the rental companies. We expect no effect on the rental companies short term and little to no impact longer term.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Apr 26, 2018 at 9:32 pm
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
The Japanese and Korean manufacturers are more than happy to supply smaller and medium sized sedans to the rental companies. We expect no effect on the rental companies short term and little to no impact longer term.
Question: I've heard that some people flying commercial airlines as part of their jobs with the US military and/or certain military contractors are (or at least were in the past) required to use only USA-based airlines where possible.

I presume there's no such restrictions anyone imposes on only renting cards made by USA-based car companies?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Question: I've heard that some people flying commercial airlines as part of their jobs with the US military and/or certain military contractors are (or at least were in the past) required to use only USA-based airlines where possible.

I presume there's no such restrictions anyone imposes on only renting cards made by USA-based car companies?
When I worked for Ford, we had to rent Fords. When I worked for GM, we had to rent GMs. There were Ford factories where you could not park an imported car. If you rented an import you parked it somewhere else.

Since the lines are so blurred now and GM imports a Buick from China and Nissans are made down the street, it seems like its hard to determine what is an import and what is domestic. But I do remember our contract with Avis specifically indicated it was to be a GM, and our contract with Hertz specified Ford products.
m907 and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There were times in the past when one would want to avoid having an imported car in an auto producing state.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
There will be no immediate impact on rental fleets.
The Taurus will be the first to be phased out of production starting in May 2019 ... that doesn't mean it will disappear from rental company inventories ... Ford, doubtless, will have plenty of vehicles to shift and will offer generous incentives to rental fleets.
Maybe in 15-18 months, will some of these models become slightly less ubiquitous.
Actually, looks like the Focus is already done. Ford confirmed it's stopping production of the Focus within the next few weeks.

https://jalopnik.com/ford-focus-prod...e-w-1825583291
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec

Many years ago (before there was #1 Gold, so everyone had to go to the counter), I was in line with my father at the Hertz counter at PHX or TUS. The gentleman in front of us was handed the keys to a Chevy, to which he responded that he couldn't take this, since he was going to the Ford proving ground. The rep went back for a moment, and handed him the keys to a Dodge. He then repeated "I'm going to the FORD proving ground." You could see the light bulb go on over the rep's head, and a Ford was found.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Many years ago (before there was #1 Gold, so everyone had to go to the counter), I was in line with my father at the Hertz counter at PHX or TUS. The gentleman in front of us was handed the keys to a Chevy, to which he responded that he couldn't take this, since he was going to the Ford proving ground. The rep went back for a moment, and handed him the keys to a Dodge. He then repeated "I'm going to the FORD proving ground." You could see the light bulb go on over the rep's head, and a Ford was found.
In a past life, I tried to give a customer reserved in an IFAR keys to a Suzuki Grand Vitara. He got a panicked look on his face and said he was attending a union shindig and couldn't show up in anything that wasn't American.

I think the restriction is on the vendor, not the product. Military and federal workers fly Airbus aircraft all the time--flown by UA and other domestic carriers. Similarly, the government doesn't care what kind of car the person drives as long as preference was given to an American-owned rental company. It'll be interesting to see if Sixt nails any US government contracts as they continue to expand across the US.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
The Japanese and Korean manufacturers are more than happy to supply small and medium sized sedans to the rental companies. We expect no effect on the rental companies short term and little to no impact longer term.
Ford could even continue making some of them for rental fleets. Chevy kept making the dreadful last-gen Impala into 2016, three years after the new one was introduced, for rental and other corporate fleets. I still see the old Impala popping up, in fact it was on the Five Star aisle at Hertz UC about a month ago...

And the Dodge Grand Caravan is still kicking even though they announced they were killing it off a few years ago.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by m907
Ford could even continue making some of them for rental fleets. Chevy kept making the dreadful last-gen Impala into 2016, three years after the new one was introduced, for rental and other corporate fleets. I still see the old Impala popping up, in fact it was on the Five Star aisle at Hertz UC about a month ago...
I could definitely see this happening. GM kept a number of discontinued models going in rental fleets... the Chevy Captiva was fleet only for a number of years, as was the "Classic Impala" or whatever they called it. And IMO the Fusion is a much fresher car than the old version Impala was in its later years.

It's too bad though, I thought Ford made pretty nice sedans and there is clearly a market for them. But clearly the profitability of those sales just isn't worth it. I have a Ford SUV and whenever I go to the dealer for service it's clear that they're all about the trucks and SUVs. Cars are pretty much an afterthought. I can imagine what it must be like in the US where the passion for trucks and SUVs runs deep.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:07 pm

Part of it could be that historically Japanese automakers made higher quality and more fuel efficient cars. That may have been a long time ago, or even a very long time ago, but nevertheless at least the perception probably stuck. So maybe Ford and GM realized either 1) they really don't make such great small cars, and realistically will never be better than Honda and Toyota, or 2) the small-car-buying public will never shop them first anyway, gravitating straight to the Corolla, Fit, and Civic. In either case, why keep investing in small American-branded cars the public largely won't buy, and instead re-focus that money on places where historically they do excel- SUVs and pickups?
Old May 12, 2018, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Part of it could be that historically Japanese automakers made higher quality and more fuel efficient cars. That may have been a long time ago, or even a very long time ago, but nevertheless at least the perception probably stuck. So maybe Ford and GM realized either 1) they really don't make such great small cars, and realistically will never be better than Honda and Toyota, or 2) the small-car-buying public will never shop them first anyway, gravitating straight to the Corolla, Fit, and Civic. In either case, why keep investing in small American-branded cars the public largely won't buy, and instead re-focus that money on places where historically they do excel- SUVs and pickups?
The Fusion has been a top 5 seller since they redesigned it but the F-150 and Escape have been Ford's bread and butter for awhile. Ironically enough the Fusion is made in Mexico and the Camry and Accord are made in the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.