Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I see your gas receipt?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2013, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Wow. This thread is still alive after a year. Well I never rented from Dollar again. Went back to Hertz where I don't even have to wait for the receipt when I return the car it gets emailed to me, most times before I even get on the plane. And not once did the email request a copy of my gas receipt
Old Aug 17, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Wow. This thread is still alive after a year. Well I never rented from Dollar again. Went back to Hertz where I don't even have to wait for the receipt when I return the car it gets emailed to me, most times before I even get on the plane. And not once did the email request a copy of my gas receipt
I typically use Hertz and agree they are very easy to deal with. They once billed me for fuel when I had filled up. A call to CS got the charge reversed.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

I tend to rent from whomever has the best deals,amongst the majors.
If Dollar is significantly less than the others, then does a fill up on day of return ( with receipt) really matter that much?
I've seen dollar thrifty beat the other majors by as much as 50% in previous rentals .
Old Aug 18, 2013, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold

Am currently renting from dollar in Hawaii and it is undoubtedly the worst rental car ever in the USA.

Queued for 30 minutes to pick up and whilst 6 staff were dealing with the queue 3 staff sat idle in the area reserved for those with dollar express.

The surly agent ringed the item on the agreement regarding keeping the gas receipt.

I usually only tent from cheapest via an agent but this time it has backfired. Not sure why Alamo missed out as rate was not exactly cheap in any event.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by binman
Am currently renting from dollar in Hawaii and it is undoubtedly the worst rental car ever in the USA.

Queued for 30 minutes to pick up and whilst 6 staff were dealing with the queue 3 staff sat idle in the area reserved for those with dollar express.

The surly agent ringed the item on the agreement regarding keeping the gas receipt.

I usually only tent from cheapest via an agent but this time it has backfired. Not sure why Alamo missed out as rate was not exactly cheap in any event.
Simple solution: join Dollar Express.

I am a member of every rental agency's frequent renter program--even the junky agencies I'd never rent from (Payless, Fox, E-Z, etc.). Absolutely no reason to not be a member: it's free, and in that one instance where you end up having to rent from them, it can be the difference between a 30-minute wait and walking right out to your car.

How ironic that Hertz and Dollar are owned by the same company. I'm sure the stockholders are glad to have you pay Hertz's higher rates.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

I just now 8/18, 3.:00pm,returned an Avis Car at HNL
Was told needed gas receipt at check in
Returned agent said didn't need it as long as it looked full
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:03 am

Got My 2 $10 Coupons!

I've been busy at work but just thought I'd let everyone know that my $10 coupons arrived about 10 days ago in the mail with a 1-year expiry date for using them.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
It may be the same company but the treatment is completely different. Like how you are treated at Sizzler versus Mortons.

You can have your Sizzler.
Old May 11, 2014, 4:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Got a reminder yesterday why I do like this system.

Picked up a Nissan Altima at PIT yesterday. It has an 18 gallon gas tank. I drove 72 miles and to get it back to full, had to pump 6.2 gallons into it. Either that car gets worse gas mileage than my old V8 Armada or the previous renter hadn't filled it up and it hadn't been checked.

I might add that the Dollar staff at PIT could not have cared less so I will have to followup later with Dollar.
Old May 11, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by CMK10
Got a reminder yesterday why I do like this system.

Picked up a Nissan Altima at PIT yesterday. It has an 18 gallon gas tank. I drove 72 miles and to get it back to full, had to pump 6.2 gallons into it. Either that car gets worse gas mileage than my old V8 Armada or the previous renter hadn't filled it up and it hadn't been checked.

I might add that the Dollar staff at PIT could not have cared less so I will have to followup later with Dollar.
I couldn't really care any less about how much I filled up in my own cars, but for rentals I always get a receipt.

It doesn't matter if it's a rental from a big company or a loaner from my local car dealership. I get receipts for everything in case something happens and I need proof.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Most of my rentals are from Dollar and I've been asked to show the receipt maybe 1/3 of the time. I've also been asked to show the receipt at Avis and Alamo.

Your experiences may vary.
Old May 15, 2014, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Most of my rentals are from Dollar and I've been asked to show the receipt maybe 1/3 of the time. I've also been asked to show the receipt at Avis and Alamo.

Your experiences may vary.
I always get a receipt because I always prepay for gas and then they remove the charges when I show I filled it up.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Hertz has never asked me for a receipt. I was asked for one once from Alamo at HNL - which has a gas station right there. I laughed at them.

Originally Posted by am1108
Actually its 75 miles or less, oh and be careful, at some places they will actually take the car to their gas pump to see if it will fill up.
They should do THAT more often. I can't tell you how many times I've had to pump more gas than I should have.

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
It only takes 3 seconds to lose a customer. Pennywise, pound foolish.

If it is on the "F" then it's full. Half the time when they give you the car it is not 100% full. Maybe I should ask them for the receipt.
Agreed

It may be the same company but the treatment is completely different. Like how you are treated at Sizzler versus Mortons.

Hey, Sizzler kicked butt when I was a kid.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:23 pm

And last time I went to Morton's they had this patronizing attitude and they couldn't even get my medium rare steak cooked correctly.

It was cooked closer to medium well, so I told for the manager and hold him that this wasn't done correctly. I didn't ask for it to be redone or anything. Then they gave me this talk like I've never had a steak before and that I shouldn't be so picky.

In the end I paid for the appetizers I had and went straight to another place. I tell everyone I know to avoid Morton's; my favorite it Ruth's Chris.

Yeah, you can have your Morton's and their stupid little cart.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP
My letter to Dollar about this policy

Dear Dollar Rental Car,

I am a long time customer and member of your Dollar Express program who has relied heavily on your business for many years. So far in 2014, I have rented from your company 10 times for a total of about 60 days, just to give you an idea of how often I use Dollar in my business travel. As a result, I consider myself pretty well versed in your company’s policies and how car rental works in general.

However, I was very surprised and disappointed by a recent policy change that I discovered on my rental of October 31 at your LAX location. For many years, I have always chosen to fill the car up with gas before returning it instead of the prepaid option. The concept is simple: you leave with a full tank of gas, you return with a full tank of gas. Every car rental company that I have ever rented from has this policy.

Imagine my disappointment and irritation then as I discovered that you have very quietly changed this policy so that now the car must be returned with a full tank of gas AND a receipt for the purchase of gas within ten miles of the return location. If you don’t have that now-required receipt, then guess what? Dollar charges you a $9.99 fee, even if the gas tank is clearly full.

Dollar, we’ve spent a lot of time together over the years, you and I. And I feel like I know you well enough now to say that this is total bullsh*t and you know it. This sleazy and predatory policy is designed to do one thing: trick people who have already paid for your car and returned it in perfect condition into forking over an extra ten bucks to your company anyway. When I informed your incredibly unlucky rental return agent at LAX of my feelings towards this new policy, he actually agreed with me, but then told me that this was a corporate decision and there was nothing that he could do.

Well, as it turns out, there are several things that I can do. The first thing that I can do is to stop renting from your company immediately. The second thing that I can do is to let everyone in my social networks know about this new policy so that they will also stop renting from you. Finally, the other thing that I can do is to post this letter on all of the frequent traveler sites that I am a member of, including Flyertalk, Milepoint, Elliott, etc. In my opinion, the only way that I can affect change is to alert everyone that I can about how Dollar is trying to unnecessarily trying to bilk their customers out of their ten dollars with this hidden policy.

However, there is one other option of how things might change and that would be if Dollar immediately changed their policy back to what it has always been: you leave with a full tank of gas, you return with a full tank of gas. I would strongly urge you to investigate this option as soon as possible, before your reputation as a rental company who is looking to rip people off becomes cemented into the public’s impression of your business.

If you do decide to change this policy, please let me know and I will be happy to return to using your company again in the future.

Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
Nubiles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.