Wiki Posts
Search

Can I see your gas receipt?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
"Budget" that's a competitor

Whether they have it in writing or not, I'd rather deal with a customer friendly atmosphere instead of a hostile one. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
+1 Thats why I rent from Hertz. Not I can say that Hertz will always be my choice, but so far they have been ok.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Had the same with Thrifty at YYC.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Just rented from Dollar at ATL
The agent made sure to tell me they require a receipt for gas fill up within 10miles of the airport.
I filled up within 2 miles, got the receipt , went to return the car left the receipt on the dash, the return check in agent looked at it and that was that.
Easy.
( for my peace of mind, I took a picture of the receipt with my iPhone)
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:01 pm
Suspended

I can agree it isn't that hard. But I feel that it is something I should not have to do, or even think about.

If the needle is on "FULL" then my job is done. That is my opinion.

So I will not be renting from Dollar or Thrifty. Pennywise, pound foolish.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I always get a receipt for expense reporting, so getting the receipt is not a big deal. However, I usually have the first flight out and I fill up the night before. I can drive a long way in 12 hours even if I fill up close to the airport.

I usually rent from National, but I picked up from Dollar tonight and got the speech about the required receipt. I got the hard sell for insurance. It is part of what is expected when you save $200+ on a 4 day rental.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:33 am
Suspended

Yeah, sure it is. I stopped drinking the Kool-Aid, thanks though.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:40 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scandi777
Guys,

from the general paperwork you get from Dollar:
"You must refill the gas tank of the vehicle within a 10 mile radius of the rental return facility and present a fuel receipt to avoid a refueling charge."

http://www.dollar.com/aboutus/generalpolicies.aspx

Why is it so difficult to accept this? Anyone who thinks this is a silly policy is completely free to rent from another provider, right?

S.
Why the obsession with contracts and policies? People sign a ton of things everyday without reading them. There are also many policies and rules that defy common sense. Give the OP a break.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Why the obsession with contracts and policies? People sign a ton of things everyday without reading them. There are also many policies and rules that defy common sense. Give the OP a break.
Exactly, I wonder how many people read the terms & conditions and privacy policy when signing up for flyertalk?
Old May 17, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
LOL @ them asking for receipts, look at the damn needle on F and stop trying to screw people on the fine print. I bet they dont tell most of the people of this requirement.

LOL@ the ones that allow 60 or 75 miles? how the hell can you go that far and the needle still be on full?
Old May 18, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Jeez, what an irritating "reporter."

He filled up "across the street"? What's his point? Does he think the Dollar has an employee watching the gas station across the street at all times? How is the agent supposed to know this guy's telling the truth? Frankly, renting a car for just 14 miles is a red flag and the rental agent was right to be skeptical. And he never let the process play out to see if he actually would have been charged. He just acted like a bully and the agent rightfully sought his superior.

And he's wrong when he tells the agent that he can keep filming because it's a "public place." No, it's not a public place...it's private property owned by Dollar.
^^

Originally Posted by am1108
+1 Thats why I rent from Hertz. Not I can say that Hertz will always be my choice, but so far they have been ok.
I, too, pick Hertz/National (and less so Avis) if the price is reasonably close (within ~10-20%, depending on the length/cost of rental), but someone mentioned being penny-wise, pound-foolish upthread, and the same applies here: to spend $30 more per day with Hertz (which IME is often the case) to avoid having to show a receipt to save $10 worth of gas certainly strikes me as penny-wise, pound-foolish.

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
Just because there is some little blip of wording somewhere doesn't make it ethically or morally "right." And anyway, it is not good business sense.

From what has been described, and what is on the video - it appears to be that the rental company has found a "legal" way to con people out of a few extra bucks. That is my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

And I will not rent from them after seeing this post! I will take my business elsewhere.
You may not recall, but Avis Budget group had an even harsher policy on this subject (gas) not all that long ago. I think they finally relaxed it, but "premium" brands like Avis sometimes have harsh policies just like any other rental company.

Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
LOL @ them asking for receipts, look at the damn needle on F and stop trying to screw people on the fine print. I bet they dont tell most of the people of this requirement.
It's displayed on the gas signs, shown on the rental contract, and often (although admittedly not always) verbalized by the rental agent. It wouldn't be a problem if everyone were honest and returned the car with a completely full tank, but sadly, that's not the case. I've actually gotten screwed more by Hertz than by Dollar Thrifty on the gas issue: I often pick cars up with Hertz that are "full" but not really (needle drops off of F within 5 minutes of leaving the lot, whereas it stays well above the F for 50 miles after I fill it up), whereas due to this policy, the cars I pick up from Dollar are always well above F and never take more than 0.2 gallons if I stop at the first gas station I see after leaving the airport.

Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
LOL@ the ones that allow 60 or 75 miles? how the hell can you go that far and the needle still be on full?
Happens in my own car all the time (needle above F until 90 miles after fill-up) and in the majority of rental cars I've driven.
Old May 19, 2012, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jackal
I, too, pick Hertz/National (and less so Avis) if the price is reasonably close (within ~10-20%, depending on the length/cost of rental), but someone mentioned being penny-wise, pound-foolish upthread, and the same applies here: to spend $30 more per day with Hertz (which IME is often the case) to avoid having to show a receipt to save $10 worth of gas certainly strikes me as penny-wise, pound-foolish.
My comment on penny-wise, pound-foolish was in respect to the rental companies which go to this extreme. It was not in respect to the renter. In this tough economy, a company cannot afford to lose business. Even an amount as low as 5% can be drastic, and it only takes about 30 seconds to lose a customer. Pissing customers off isn't the answer to a good bottom line.

Now as you state, the customer is "penny-wise, pound foolish" if they do not consider Dollar? I think not. Or perhaps you are writing that just to try and be clever. There is a plethora of car rental companies with which to obtain good pricing. Cutting out one or two in the search will not cause the rental to be $30 higher like you seem to suggest. One can live without "Dollar rent-a-car" and not pay higher prices. Can't buy your argument there...
Old May 20, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Can I see your gas receipt?

In ATL recently , Dollar/Thrifty was significantly less than all others.
For a three day rental, it was a total of 65 dollars vs 98- 150 dollars with the others
For a minimum 33 dollar savings, it's easy to produce a receipt.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Wow, that is amazing. Just think - they were cheaper than Advantage, Airport Rent a Car of Atlanta, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, EZ Rent a Car, Hertz, National, Payless, and Sixt? I've got to hand it to you - you sure must have spent a lot of time checking into this. Can't believe that only the gas knit-pickers are the only two cheap ones! Badgering the customers for receipts must be good policy. I for one will not use them. I can find cheaper prices in the hoard above, or at least very close.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
My comment on penny-wise, pound-foolish was in respect to the rental companies which go to this extreme. It was not in respect to the renter. In this tough economy, a company cannot afford to lose business. Even an amount as low as 5% can be drastic, and it only takes about 30 seconds to lose a customer. Pissing customers off isn't the answer to a good bottom line.

Now as you state, the customer is "penny-wise, pound foolish" if they do not consider Dollar? I think not. Or perhaps you are writing that just to try and be clever. There is a plethora of car rental companies with which to obtain good pricing. Cutting out one or two in the search will not cause the rental to be $30 higher like you seem to suggest. One can live without "Dollar rent-a-car" and not pay higher prices. Can't buy your argument there...
It's not just Dollar Thrifty you'll have to avoid, then. Be sure to avoid Avis and Budget:

EZFuelTM and Fuel Service Charge: Driving under 75 miles? With our newest refueling service, customers who drive less than 75 miles pay a low flat fee for fuel and return the car without refueling. We'll automatically charge you a flat fee of $13.99. If you present a receipt for the purchase of fuel, the charge will be removed at the time of return.
(https://www.avis.com/search/SearchMa..._box=refueling)

EZFuelTM and Fuel Service Charge
If you don't choose the Fuel Service Option and you bring the car back less than full, you'll pay a fuel service charge. If you drive 75 miles or more, depending on whether you bought fuel during your rental, this charge will be a per-mile or per-gallon rate and will be stated on your rental agreement.

At most locations, if you drive less than 75 miles, we will add a flat EZFuel service charge to the rental. This can be avoided if you've purchased fuel and provide us with a receipt.
(http://redirect.avis.com/services/fso/index.html)

EZFuel™

If you don’t choose the Fuel Service Option and you bring the car back less than full, you’ll pay a fuel service charge. If you drive 75 miles or more, depending on whether or not you bought fuel during your rental, this charge will be a per-mile or per-gallon rate and will be stated on your rental agreement. At most locations, if you drive less than 75 miles, an automatic USD $13.99 EZFuel service charge will be applied, which can be avoided if you’ve purchased fuel and provide us with a receipt.
(http://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/html...lServices.html)

Wow, that is amazing. Just think - they were cheaper than Advantage, Airport Rent a Car of Atlanta, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, EZ Rent a Car, Hertz, National, Payless, and Sixt? I've got to hand it to you - you sure must have spent a lot of time checking into this. Can't believe that only the gas knit-pickers are the only two cheap ones! Badgering the customers for receipts must be good policy. I for one will not use them. I can find cheaper prices in the hoard above, or at least very close.
Dollar Thrifty is frequently cheaper than most the "hoard" [sic] you listed above. You may find cheaper rates at Payless, EZ, and "AIrport Rent a Car of Atlanta," but those don't really count. (I will avoid Payless like the plague; I haven't heard as many complaints about EZ, but I'm holding off on them for now. No idea who "Airport Rent a Car of Atlanta" is, but they're not a national chain.) DTAG is either price-competitive or cheaper than pretty much the rest of the ones you mentioned.

A random sample of rates in July at ATL:

EZ: $236.92 (discount brand)
Sixt: $241.92 (newcomer)
Advantage: $242.51 (value brand, but I've had many problems with them so would avoid)
Enterprise: $307.40 (value brand, but their rental process is irksomely slow)
Dollar: $308.95 (hey, look at their price!)
Thrifty: $308.95 (hey, look at their price!)
Alamo: $336.86
Budget: $338.44
National: $397.51
Hertz: $398.85
Avis: $501.34

If you'd like to spend $27.91 more to rent from Alamo to avoid showing a receipt, feel free. Or better yet, spend $29.49 more to rent from Budget and *still* have to show a receipt. Or better yet, spend $192.39 to rent from Avis and STILL have to show a receipt!

You are more than welcome to avoid Dollar, Thrifty, Avis, and Budget. I, however, applaud them for taking steps to cut down on return refueling fraud. As I mentioned above, I have not had any issues with getting cars from Dollar or Thrifty that aren't completely full on gas. I therefore have no problem filling the car up right before return and taking the 5 extra seconds to print out a receipt.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:57 pm
Suspended

What if I get a receipt, but don't fill it all the way, and just pee in the gas tank? Do you think it would work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.