Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Dollar | Express Renter Rewards (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Any Advice? After-the-fact changes from Dollar branch in Bucharest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Advice? After-the-fact changes from Dollar branch in Bucharest

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G, UA*G
Question Any Advice? After-the-fact changes from Dollar branch in Bucharest

Hi Guys,

I can't say I'm a regular car renter, though I travel a lot. I've recently run into a pretty frustrating experience with Dollar, and I would really appreciate any nuggets of wisdom the group may have on how I could pursue the issue further and even if it's worthwhile to do so.

Here's the story:

In October I flew to Bucharest for a few days and had a pre-arranged rental with Dollar. It included an automatic car and GPS. The rental was made over the phone.

Several days before I left, I called to confirm my rental. They advised that an manual car had been booked and adjusted to an automatic. It was an additional charge, which I accepted.

When I arrived to pick up car, the vendor stated that the GPS was not included. I argued that it was. We finally agreed that the rate (which had somehow gone from 157 euro to 194 euro) included the cost for the GPS. They tried out several GPSs, mounted one, and off we went.

On the second day a piece on the GPS mounting which was quite worn broke off. I didn't think anything of it, but when I returned the car I brought it to the vendor's attention and asked if it would be an issue. It was obviously wear and tear, and the break . They said no, said we had all the paperwork we needed, and drove us across the street to the airport.

Several days after I left they charged my credit card $65. There was no notification of this, but when I saw the charge I pursued it. Dollar directed me to their vendor in Romania, who first said it was a charge for the broken mounting for the GPS. When I questioned this, they then changed their story to say it was for the mounting and the GPS rental. They then said that the GPS had not been charged and was added after I had filled out all the paperwork, even going so far as to send me a copy of my rental agreement that had been hand written on (my copy was not) and showed them adding an amount for the GPS. I argued over this for numerous emails in which the vendor continued to make up or change parts of their story, even stating they had taken the mounting to GPS experts, but wouldn't provide contact details for these.

Finally, the vendor said they wouldn't reverse the charge. I emailed and called the Dollar representative, but they never returned my messages.

I opened a dispute with my credit card company, but they have stated that they cannot do anything about this because it's associated with a pre-authorized charge for damage against the car.

In November I had another charge posted to my credit card for an additional $50 (I had my credit card reissued at this point). Dollar did not contact me about this charge, and I am having to dispute this charge as well. My credit card company doesn't know what this charge is for either, but has stated that if it's charged against the same pre-authorization, then there is nothing they can do about it.

I guess I just don't understand how it's possible to have a company say there is no issue and that no paperwork is required, then to go back on that statement and suddenly be able to charge whatever they want against your credit card. Makes me feel both naive and ignorant about who this whole process works.

Additionally, I'm a bit frustrated with my credit card company, who seem to be taking such a hands-off approach.

So, question to all those smart, rental car-wise people floating around this forum: Is there another avenue of pursuit I should be considering? Or do I just accept these and whatever other charges Dollar and their vendor want to apply to my credit card without getting any say? Should I escalate further with either my credit card company or Dollar? Any similar experiences?

Any thoughts welcome.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.