Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Limited Vision and TSA "signage" re WBI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The TSA has stated that the signage allegedly provided at the entrance to WBI machines is sufficient for travelers to give "informed consent" to being virtually strip searched.

At many checkpoints, the signage is either non-existent or so small as to be unreadable to persons with vision problems.

I'd like some suggestions of where to take this issue, the name of an organization dealing with visual disabilities, with the hope a case could be made for requiring the TSA to post signage large enough for vision disabled travelers to read. Doing so would thereby make said signage large enough for ALL travelers to read.

TIA

Last edited by Katja; Aug 25, 2009 at 4:55 pm Reason: corrected spelling in thread title
Old Aug 25, 2009, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The most affective organization having to do with the rights of blind people is the National Federation of the Blind. Contact them for ideas of what to do with this issue. They may have something going already.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 4:53 pm

Here are the ADA Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities, Signage.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you. I could not for the life of me recall the name "National Federation for the Blind."

Katja, it could be that the TSA is exempt from having to provide signage but I have to look into that further.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
doober, it is 'of the Blind' not 'for the blind'. It is the blind speaking for themselves. The NFB has been fighting the airlines and the TSA for a very long time.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
doober, it is 'of the Blind' not 'for the blind'. It is the blind speaking for themselves. The NFB has been fighting the airlines and the TSA for a very long time.
Oldpenny16, thanks for setting me straight on that. Can you point me to anything specific in their fight with the TSA as I couldn't find anything on the website.

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.