Should I work for airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Should I work for airlines?

Hi all,

Do you really think where I would likely work for airlines but, I didn't like work from my last previously old job at HMS HOST. Because they work for me in the early morning. Because I am very extremely difficulties time try to woke up in the early morning. Do I think that I am looking for work with ticket agents or baggage handler? That's why I am taking my own responsibilities. Because I am very good English skills and I can barely speaks very well. I will guaranteed where I will work there. What I should looking for work with airlines? So however, if you have anything more questions for your concerns. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
(I was completely clueless initially in my reply - now fixed) Good luck in your job search!

Last edited by CApreppie; Mar 12, 2009 at 1:13 am Reason: Clueless post - rectified
Old Mar 12, 2009, 12:32 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by N830MH
Hi all,

Do you really think where I would likely work for airlines but, I didn't like work from my last previously old job at HMS HOST. Because they work for me in the early morning. Because I am very extremely difficulties time try to woke up in the early morning. Do I think that I am looking for work with ticket agents or baggage handler? That's why I am taking my own responsibilities. Because I am very good English skills and I can barely speaks very well. I will guaranteed where I will work there. What I should looking for work with airlines? So however, if you have anything more questions for your concerns. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards
I think that your question is a great one for the FT Disability Forum. Perhaps other FT'rs who write in American Sign Language and have hearing disabilities could give you some good advice.
Good Luck.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Mar 12, 2009, 5:37 am

Programs: United MP
I applied to work as a bag handler once and was told that I could not work on the ramp. They offered me a job cleaning aircraft instead. I didn't want that so gave up. Years later, I met a Deaf mechanic woking for one of the airlines. He often works on the ramp. I don't know how he did it.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, HH GOLD, SPG, OMNI, KIMPTON, A-CLUB
Hi all,

Regards
Well, your English skills are not that good. It will be hard to get a job where communications are very important if you can't seem to put together (and possibly read) a coherently written sentence. How can you work as a ticket agent when you can barely get your point across on this forum in a clear and coherent manner?

Right now airlines are laying people off left and right. I don't think that applying for a job with the industry at this time would get you anywhere you want to be. Find something in an industry that is doing a better job weathering the recession at this point. If the airlines aren't keeping the employees they have who are skilled (both at their job and communicating in English), I don't see why they would hire you.

However, good Luck though in your search!!

Last edited by czarina; Mar 12, 2009 at 6:54 am Reason: Grammar
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:01 am

Programs: US Platinum
Originally Posted by czarina
Well, your English skills are not that good. It will be hard to get a job where communications are very important if you can't seem to put together (and possibly read) a coherently written sentence. How can you work as a ticket agent when you can barely get your point across on this forum in a clear and coherent manner?
I hope it's clear that the OP's first language is ASL, and that the grammar and syntax just don't translate well to written english. I'm sure he can communicate very effectively with others who sign.

Last edited by ereuter; Mar 12, 2009 at 7:09 am
Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:52 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
One challenge of airline work, assuming jobs are even available in this challenged economy, is it is shift work. A new employee could be assigned an early shift (4:00 a.m. to noon) and that would not seem to mesh with your desired hours.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
One challenge of airline work, assuming jobs are even available in this challenged economy, is it is shift work. A new employee could be assigned an early shift (4:00 a.m. to noon) and that would not seem to mesh with your desired hours.
That is very true about the airlines. In college, I applied for (and was offered) a job as a CSA for United at BOS during the summer. It was part-time and they were up front with me on a few things - I would get a minimum of 16 hours a week and a maximum of 32 scheduled hours (and I might have to go more than that if irrops happened). There was no set schedule - I might have to work 330a-1130a one day, and then 500p-100a the next day - I would have no real control over my schedule.

Thus, it came down to taking that job (consider that BOS was 40 minutes from where I lived) or taking my old job at an electronics retailer 20 minutes away from my house. I went back to my old job, and now three years later, I still work for that same electronics retailer - just in a very different role at the corporate office now. The reason I came back to the old job vs going with UA was simple - better quality of life (I had some say in the hours I worked at my old job, which was of value to me).
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: embarassing low Hilton, Marriott and AA status
We all know you love aviation with that in mind i will again suggest the following....

Apply for a position that would showcase your ability to use ASL. I am sure that somewhere in the aviation workplace there would be an employer that could use both your ASL skills and you determination to achieve goals.

However I have to add that you have to actively "market" yourself to said employers and show them how your skills in ASl would benefit not only their firms but their customers.

You have a specific skill use it to your advance yourself and assist others who use the the industry (aviation) you care for so much

IHAP

Did that make sense??, forgive but I am an old man and on this rare day off I feel the need for a nap
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:52 am

Check this video out: http://video.deafnation.com/news/car...ine-maintence/
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ihadapheo
You have a specific skill use it to your advance yourself and assist others who use the the industry (aviation) you care for so much
Can you please explaining to me more whole information about airlines? So why I can't to be apply work for airlines? I am acknowledgement very good information where the specific routes or etc. I can see the sound of logical choice for my new job in the future. I am favorable where I work for evening shift is more convenient for me. As you know what happening to me from last previously old job at HMS HOST. That's why they work for me in the early morning. Because I am very extremely difficult time to woke up in the morning. That's why I didn't like it to be work for early morning. I can't be work for early morning but, it was too much for me. That's why I am always to stay sleep late of the morning until I woke up around 10 or 10:30am.

So however, I am looking for something different job outside of Sky Harbor. Right now, the hiring are still freezing due to economic. So hopefully sometime in late-2009 if they will have to get new job opening. I will be patient if they will have enough finance. So otherwise, I will guaranteed can do that for me where I will look for another new job. Thanks for your taking the time.

Regards
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: embarassing low Hilton, Marriott and AA status
No matter what field you choose to pursue a career in you have to be able to market yourself to perspective employers. You have to show them that you can allow them to serve their customers better than any other applicant can.

Use your skills in ASL to your advantage, explain to them how your skills would benefit them by allowing customers who depend on ASL to communicate to purchase goods or services from them. Show them that you would add to both their bottom line and customer service satisfaction

That said I now must refer to the quote below........

That's why they work for me in the early morning. Because I am very extremely difficult time to woke up in the morning. That's why I didn't like it to be work for early morning. I can't be work for early morning but, it was too much for me. That's why I am always to stay sleep late of the morning until I woke up around 10 or 10:30am.
I would have to advise quite strongly against using such comments in any interview regarding employment. In today's job market such comments may very well result in an abrupt end to the interview and a quick walk to the door. I have to return the the theme of you showing the perspective employer that you are the best person for the job and that you are willing to what it takes to meet their schedule, profit and customer service needs. I that entails waking at an hour when you would rather sleep so be it. Heck I am up at 0500 return home most days at about 1730 and quite often find myself dozing off far earlier than I like.

Good luck in your quest

IHAP
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:48 am

I hate to say it, but an entry level employee will not be able to pick his/ her own hours. That will be dictated by the employer and availability of the job in question. In airline speak, you must always be flexible.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The airlines operate strange hours - at hubs, 24/7, at smaller airports (say, AA at SMF) only when the few flights arrive from / depart to DFW. Any employment will be within those constraints, and as the airlines are generally unionized, seniority may dictate what hours and days one works. (It's not a well known fact, but FAs and pilots begin on standby - on call, no regular hours, starvation "pay." No worries, as many airlines are not hiring and are laying off. )

Even the larger airlines seem to have limited TDD-TTY service: AA seems to have only one number listed on their website, and only when one arrives at the Accessibility And Assistance For Customers With Disabilities page - not Reservations, Customer Service, etc. where it appears they expect people will call (and pay money) or use the Internet to book and communicate.

I also suspect airlines would say the biggest issue on the ramp with people who are hearing challenged is the safety issue - fatal accidents do happen, and hearing / detecting closeness of propellers, engines, tugs and the like is important. I wonder if the A&P (mechanic) described above is working in a hangar, and how s/he and the airline were able to resolve the safety issue? (And kudos to them for doing it!)

So, I think the challenge would be to find a job within the airline industry which the OP would be able to capitalize on his skills and abilities (or even grow a new skill or two) or find a job peripheral to the airline industry - suppliers, advocacy organizations, travel agencies, and a huge list could follow.

Perhaps a visit to one's local university or college, or even community college, and making an appointment with a career counselor (some unis have graduate students, supervised by their teaching staff, provide sliding scale or even free services) to explore the career fields available and how one can better prepare themselves for entry when the economy turns around (hint: do not expect it to happen this year, IMO - when we are losing 600,000 jobs a month, it will take some time to rebuild capacity.) A local Deaf and Hearing Service Center or the like might be able to point one in the direction of career guidance and testing resources. (I should also mention volunteer work can help - we call it "reality testing" and "experience building." )

It's a competitive environment, and probably more so at this moment than it has been in some time, between the economy and automatization. But I do think the OP is on to something: try to get a job related to what you love. It can help to expand one's horizons as one looks to see what the possibilities are, and to prepare well. Good luck!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I also suspect airlines would say the biggest issue on the ramp with people who are hearing challenged is the safety issue - fatal accidents do happen, and hearing / detecting closeness of propellers, engines, tugs and the like is important. I wonder if the A&P (mechanic) described above is working in a hangar, and how s/he and the airline were able to resolve the safety issue? (And kudos to them for doing it!)
I realize the video that I posted above is in ASL, but the deaf man in the video even has the license to taxi the aircraft from hangar to gate! The airline was able to resolve the issue. Later in the video he explains how he is able to work on the ramp.

Last edited by DeafFlyer; Mar 15, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.