Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

‘Unbelievably excited’ - wheelchair users react to new Delta airplane seat design

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘Unbelievably excited’ - wheelchair users react to new Delta airplane seat design

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2023, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MP

https://www.cnn.com/travel/delta-fli...ign/index.html

I have mixed feelings. I would prefer to be in a regular seat. On the other hand, it would reduce the chance of my chair being mishandled, or broken, and it would not be left behind either.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
I will say that my first reaction to this was a kind of relief and happiness, if not quite excitement. (My own mobility issues don't force me to use a wheelchair daily, but I do often use the airport service since I struggle with long distances and stairs.)

Even though a plane seat might be more comfortable, I think reducing unknowns in travel is generally helpful. A wheelchair user knows exactly how s/he responds to a personal chair, so a system that allows the user to retain that well known seat seems highly beneficial.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 4:12 pm

Programs: priority club
The seat is shown in isolation - not in the confines of a real world airline cabin. You would probably need to lose a row if seats to provide sufficient space to manoeuvre a wheelchair or place wheelchair users in the exit rows which is usually banned.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by willoL
I will say that my first reaction to this was a kind of relief and happiness, if not quite excitement. (My own mobility issues don't force me to use a wheelchair daily, but I do often use the airport service since I struggle with long distances and stairs.)

Even though a plane seat might be more comfortable, I think reducing unknowns in travel is generally helpful. A wheelchair user knows exactly how s/he responds to a personal chair, so a system that allows the user to retain that well known seat seems highly beneficial.
Definitely agree. My uneasiness though is that a wheelchair is not designed for this kind of use. The pictures make it look like you won’t able to use features like tilt or leg extenders. Is the chair safe to sit in when there’s an accident or a crash?. (I have the same concerns about driving from your own chair rather than the vehicle seat).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.