Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

News: stranded teen quad gets home

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2008, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

After a travel nightmare that stranded her in Ottawa, a teenage quadriplegic finally landed home in Regina late Thursday night.

But instead of the regular WestJet Airlines Ltd. flight she had planned to be on, 15-year-old Avery Ottenbreit arrived at about 11:40 p.m. local time on board an air ambulance after the airline decided her harness didn't meet flight regulations.
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/st...d-87ae2a714e0b
Old Jul 15, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
I have not been to this forum for a few days so I just read about this poor girl. I cannot imagine what a struggle she has endured to gain some measure of independence. How absolutely awful of the airline to deny her a flight home with such a ridiculous excuse. Clearly she could not bend over into the crash position anyway.

This event merely reconfirms for me my belief that people are just generally happier if they do not have to see those who have disabilities. For all of the gains we have made as a society in the area of tolerating differences, those of us with disabilities are still part a dwindling group of people who the world would much prefer to ignore.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingfran
those of us with disabilities are still part a dwindling group of people who the world would much prefer to ignore.
Au contraire! As the baby boomers age, more and more people will be slipping into the disabled side of the spectrum.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Katja
Au contraire! As the baby boomers age, more and more people will be slipping into the disabled side of the spectrum.
Yes, but how many of them will travel by air? I have a wide acquaintance among the senior set, and this year many I know are electing to travel by car or rail rather than air, because they feel air travel has become too difficult and too unpleasant for them.

After my last trip on DL, where the front desk staff refused to call for the wheelchair I had requested weeks in advance (it was on the d@mn boarding pass, for heaven's sake!) I can well see why many will give up air travel.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: RR , Delta FF,United FF
On the last time I flew there has been as many as 20-30 wheelchair bound people waiting for flights. That is up from the 5-10 that were waiting the first time I flew last year. I think the disabled are finally learning what is available and starting to use it.

I agree with Katja the number of disabled fliers will only increase and the airlines need to increase the assistance for us.

jachot
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jachot
On the last time I flew there has been as many as 20-30 wheelchair bound people waiting for flights. That is up from the 5-10 that were waiting the first time I flew last year. I think the disabled are finally learning what is available and starting to use it.

I agree with Katja the number of disabled fliers will only increase and the airlines need to increase the assistance for us.

jachot
I agree (especially with a Mother who is wheelchair assist from the crub to her seat).

However I do not believe the burden should rest with the Carriers. The Carriers should farm it out to a 3rd party source and there should be Fees for the services.

For those who dont wish to pay either have a traveling companion take care of them with whatever is needed or do not fly.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Poor girl. Westjet is just being stubborn.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
I agree (especially with a Mother who is wheelchair assist from the crub to her seat).

However I do not believe the burden should rest with the Carriers. The Carriers should farm it out to a 3rd party source and there should be Fees for the services.

For those who dont wish to pay either have a traveling companion take care of them with whatever is needed or do not fly.
My own view is that there are a great many wheelchair users who are completely independent out in the 'real world'. For many reasons, that independence gets hijacked as soon as they get to an airport. While it is not fair that extra expenses are incurred in order to allow these passengers to travel, the fault is not with these passengers (many of whom earn a disproportionate amount compared to their able bodied fellows). Forcing some of society's least advantaged citizens to pay for a service that is foisted on them is hardly fair.

The hoops and hurdles faced by those with disabilities are there to make travel as cost effective to the carrier as possible and also to keep every one 'secure' and safe from terrorist threat. It is now possible in most developed countries to travel with a wheelchair and board a bus or take a train or enter a building without any assistance. This is because these facilities were designed to allow freedom of movement for those in wheelchairs, so why should air travel be any different? Modifications cost money but few people would suggest that the price of a bus or train ticket should be higher for a wheelchair user, or that a toll be levied on anyone using a building access ramp or specially adapted entrance or restroom.

I have no doubt it would be possible to design airports and aircraft that would allow disabled passengers to use their own chairs right up to their airline seat, or give access to the craft with a minimum distance for those who can't walk the kms usually required, but the costs of integrating this level of accessibility into the buildings and planes and adapting the security procedures would be extremely steep. The current situation is a compromise, I'm sure it's cheaper for the airlines to offer assistance (that many disabled people I'm sure would prefer not to require) than to modify the facilities in line with the laws and guidelines most 'developed' countries have in place for buildings and services that demand full accessibility for all its citizens.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Wheelchair bound?

Are these people really tied up with rope? Geez. I believe the appropriate term is "wheelchair user".
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by LapLap
The hoops and hurdles faced by those with disabilities are there to make travel as cost effective to the carrier as possible and also to keep every one 'secure' and safe from terrorist threat. It is now possible in most developed countries to travel with a wheelchair and board a bus or take a train or enter a building without any assistance.
Um, which developed countries are you referring to? Last time I was in Italy, Germany or France most of the curbs were not wheelchair accessible (much less the cobblestone streets). Likewise, most buses couldn't handle a wheelchair. Heck, even in Bloomington, IL they are still converting the curbs to be wheelchair accessible and lots of intersections are still not ramped.

In fact, the American Airlines gate in Bloomington is a set of stairs up to the plane (not a jet bridge). There is no way up except under your own power.

While this girl's situation is unfortunate there are some medical situations airlines will never be able to accommodate and she probably was a lot safer on an air ambulance. Again, not the best of situations but where her safety and those of the other passenger is involved she needs to be aware that her condition will be a factor.

I agree, forcing disabled people to have to pay for such services is not reasonable and the government needs to step in.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aspex
Um, which developed countries are you referring to?
From personal experience within the past year: England, Japan, Ireland & Spain (I'm afraid I said 'most countries' as this has been the case with most of the countries I've visited recently)

From personal experience I am fully aware that Italy does not qualify in reality

My point was that an airline can design vehicles that would allow the disabled to access them independently, but the costs would be huge. With this view in mind, providing assistance is a cost saving measure, not an extra cost.

I’ve no doubt that countries such as France and Italy (and even the UK, Ireland and Spain) are not fully compliant with regulations concerning equal access, but they are supposed to be making efforts to comply with all their facilities, and not by charging the people who will most benefit from them.

aspex - are you aware of any 'developed' countries which don't have legislation and guidelines in place aimed at making streets, buildings and transport systems more accessible? I honestly can't think of any.

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 24, 2008 at 10:52 am
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:39 am

Programs: RR , Delta FF,United FF
Nado;Wheelchair bound?

Are these people really tied up with rope? Geez. I believe the appropriate term is "wheelchair user".

Your correct, wheelchair bound is not the correct term. My use of it is a throw back from my days as a nurse working in a nursing home where most of the patients had to be secured with some sort of restraint to keep them safe from falling.

Although many people still need restraints for safety the proper wording is wheelchair user.

Sorry for the error.
jachot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.