Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Wheelchair assistance - who qualifies and some questions

Wheelchair assistance - who qualifies and some questions

Old Jul 2, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Gold
You should never hav to walk or climb stairs!

Originally Posted by jachot
LapLap and others

... The asissant. then push me to my gate. They do not have a boarding ramp so I had to walk down 2 flights of stairs. and then walk about 300 yards to the plane. When I got to the plane I had to climb about 8-10 stairs into the plane.
At least in the US - this should never happen.

Yes, the pushers are anxious to leave you at the gate. If that won't work - be forcefull about needing the chair for the duration.

If you have alerted the airline in advance, the gate agent should ask if you need an "aisle chair" in case you can't walk at all.

Even if you can walk a little, there should always be an elevator to get you to the ramp. You should be in a chair for all of this.

Even on a small plane with air stairs there should always be a way to get you onto the plane without stairs. In my neck of the woods it is usually a portable ramp that will accept an aisle chair.

If problems arise in the US you should be able to ask ANY employee to get a "Complaint Resolution Official" involved in real-time. If that doesn't happen promptly start taking notes and writing down names. Don't risk further damage to your person!!

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/ACAAcomplaint.htm talks about complaining after the fact. It is much better to nip it in the bud - ask for the CRO!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyingfran
I try to do what they recommend. I do not wish to cause any greater inconvenience to anyone than I must.
flyingfran, I beg you to reconsider this attitude!

Most building owners would prefer not to have to build ramps, widen doors, modify bathrooms to be accessible.

Most theaters would prefer not to provide wheelchair seating, closed loop induction systems, subtitles.

The telephone companies would prefer not to have to provide relay services.

Many employers would prefer not to interview, hire or accommodate people with disabilities.

If we all tried not to cause any inconvenience, it would be a much sadder world than it is.

Asking a person who uses a wheelchair for her daily mobility to give up her own mobility device at the check-in counter is like telling passengers that they have to check their shoes and shuffle around the airport in slippers that are too big and constantly fall off. Don't stand for it! Insist on your basic human right to remain mobile and independent in airports. Their convenience is not an adequate tradeoff for your comfort and independence.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:11 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
You are absolutely right! What have I been thinking? I thought standing up for my rights meant I insisted on keeping the wheelchair. I guess I am always afraid if I make a GA unhappy something unfortunate will happen to me. I am always on guard in an airport and a plane because sometimes the smallest complaint can trigger all kinds of outrageous behavior from GAs and FAs.

Do you remember the little kid that was just learning to talk and kept saying "Plane go bye bye" and they kicked Mom and little boy off of the plane? Or the lady on Southwest whose clothing made someone uncomfortable and they tried to make her get off. Finally she agreed to wear a blanket? I guess I just am very aware that they have all the authority and I have very little.We do not even have the protection of the ADA on the plane. If the pilot decides that my disability or my personality is a danger he can remove me.

I am generally pretty out-spoken, and before we get to the airport my husband always reminds me that we are entering the zone of what he calls "No Complaint". He really means he does not want me to rock any existing boats. So when the lady at baggage check-in asks to take my wheelchair I always feel a little nervous about saying "no". From my husband's perspective having someone push the airport's wheelchair is much easier for him so he is not motivated to play "do-it-yourself". We did ask for someone to push my wheelchair once so we could do a gate check. They told me that it was not legal for them to push equipment they did not own. Really about 98% of the time I have no problem, and I really will not move from the chair regardless of how much the pusher complains. In many cases, however, I would feel more confident if I had my own chair with me.

I am certainly going to re-think this entire issue about gate-checking my own wheelchair. There are times, however, when I do not take it. I keep a wheelchair at the home of each of my children, and they bring it to the airport when they come to pick us up. When we stay in big cities I rent an electric cart, so I have to get to the hotel on my own. So there are many times when I travel and depend upon using a wheelchair when I reach my destination.

I can walk. I can even climb stairs. I just cannot walk much more than one block, and I am sooo slow! I could manage to get myself down the jetway, but if I do not pre-board it takes me a long time to get down the jetway and people behind me are all upset. It takes me more time to get myself into a seat and my carry-ons put away, and I hold up the boarding process. The wheelchair is a guarantee that I will always pre-board. It is also somewhat of a guarantee that I will not trigger an attack on my way down the jetway and then have a miserable flight.

You are right however. I worked very hard to get that legislation passed. Not for myself at the time, but for a seriously disabled child. As my daughters would say it is probably time for me to put my big boots on and insist on a bit more freedom. If people had not done that for us we would all still be circling Wal-Mart hoping for a parking space. I just really do not want to be on the evening news.lol
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:45 pm

I am always on guard in an airport and a plane because sometimes the smallest complaint can trigger all kinds of outrageous behavior from GAs and FAs.
I understand this concern - it's legitimate. I was once left on the jetway teetering on crutches until every other passenger had boarded because a USAir FA was offended that I asked to have my folding manual wheelchair stowed in the first class cabin. Luckily that sort of thing has been the exception and not the rule in my flying experience.

It's hard to be brave when we're in a situation where others have so much power over us.

I am generally pretty out-spoken, and before we get to the airport my husband always reminds me that we are entering the zone of what he calls "No Complaint". He really means he does not want me to rock any existing boats.
I have the same husband - honestly, it's easier to travel by myself. The alternative is to try to stand up for my rights, get what I need, and not rile up my husband all at the same time! I just read your response to him and got a lecture about how I obviously don't appreciate how heavy powerchairs and scooters are and how were the poor baggage guys going to get a heavy powerchair from planeside on the jetway to the baggage hold.

Trust me, they can do it. They can get catering carts onto the plane, and they can get powerchairs into the hold. Every mainline American airline has procedures and equipment for this.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:09 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
Katja, I am sitting here laughing. My husband is a remarkable man, and I do not know how I would have survived the last 15 years without his compassion and assistance, but I hear the same speech every time we get near the airport. I do not even think about taking the electric scooter because he is positive that something will happen to the battery and the plane will go down in flames, or someone will mis-handle it and damage it. I think he believes that the baggage people will chase one another around the tarmac on it.

I am rarely "allowed" to travel alone, but when I do I get along just fine. I do, however, enjoy his companionship, and I am appreciative every day for his willingness to maintain our relationship "in sickness and in health", but he does not really like me to gate check the chair.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 8:29 am

And of course my husband is a wonderful man, too (really!), and more disability-conscious than the average bear, but still...

You know, people hardly ever write about the successful trips. The treatment of disabled passengers on US mainline airlines has improved dramatically over the last decade. It would be boring if every time I flew (which ranges from maybe 20 times a year to 3-4 times a year, depending on what project I'm working on), I posted here that there was handicapped permit parking available at the airport, that TSA screened me correctly according to their own rules, that I had no trouble getting to my gate independently, that there were accessible restrooms in the terminal, that the GA gave me a gatecheck tag for my chair, that the aisle chair arrived before general boarding, that my chair was not damaged in handling, that on long flights there was an onboard wheelchair on the plane, the FAs knew how to use it and I was able to use the lav, and that my wheelchair was available at planeside when we arrived. But that's what usually happens.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: Enrich, KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, Shangri-La's Golden Circle, Starwood Preferred Guest, Priority Club
Smile

I'm sorry to know you have Osteoarthritis, RadioGirl.

I am 38 and I have Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS). Just another fancy name for arthritis! I just wanted to say, you should NEVER feel shy to ask for wheelchair assistance at the airport. As soon as you have your confirmed tickets, just call the airline and tell them you need wheelchair assistance and it will be arranged for you. This is what I always do, sometimes they will ask the reason why you need a wheelchair, I tell them I am a slow walker.

I know it is very depressing to be not able-bodied, but look on the bright side, we wheelchair users are the first ones to get on board, way ahead of the crowd!

Wish you a safe trip!
Old Jul 3, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: United MP
We did ask for someone to push my wheelchair once so we could do a gate check. They told me that it was not legal for them to push equipment they did not own.

I just wanted to point out that that's not correct.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Gold
Yes - travel usually goes smoothly

Originally Posted by Katja

You know, people hardly ever write about the successful trips. The treatment of disabled passengers on US mainline airlines has improved dramatically over the last decade.
Indeed - most of the time things go smoothly and I am most grateful for all of the help I receive. The willingness of cabin crews to help with by hand luggage is one, common example.

I do try to make things as easy as possible for the airline - checking as much as possible, getting to the gate early.

Someday, I'll make good on my threat to set up a web page with detailed examples of disabled travel. Meanwhile, my wife just called to say she is having a friend help write out wheelchair specific phrases in Chinese for our next trip.

Happy trails to all!
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:06 pm

Programs: RR , Delta FF,United FF
Katja

I agree 100% that we need to start telling about the good trips and I will do so with my next trip.

It may not be very interesting but I'll give it a go.

jachot
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ignoring Rome (outside the airport) and any notion of Alitalia inflight 'service' (on the ground they were excellent ^ ), I thought my Tokyo trip report was quite positive
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731310

alanc also made a glowing report for AZ
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780190

And baglady's trip to China was mostly good.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=717640

-----
I spoke to a lady with MS yesterday travelling back to London from Alicante (Spain) with Easyjet.
She was using crutches and hadn't requested wheelchair assistance. She had assumed (like I had on seeing her) that she would be allowed to board with a person who had requested this service, but she was told abruptly that she would need to wait her turn and was made to stand by the gate, I was then shocked to hear them call all the passengers who had paid for preferential boarding to come through. Thankfully, I was able to make room and invite her to sit next to me as this happened, it took some time. Only then was she able to go through.

This was far from ideal as I could see she had to then join another queue to board and stand for a considerable period as there was some boarding delay.

I was quite disgusted at how she was expected to stand and manage stairs along with everybody else (who in these circumstances behave as a scrum - Easyjet has no numbered or reserved seating) and suggested she might like to ask for a chair for herself on a future flight (and keep her crutches with her) as it was the only way they would acknowledge her needs.

It's a shame, I'd had a previous flight with EZ (from STN) when I just started walking again but was still finding it difficult and they'd provided with priority boarding privileges and allowed me to board first at my own pace (as well as allowing me to ask an unknown passenger to board with me who could carry my bag up the stairs). A very different experience from this lady's.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:00 am

My husband I just went on our first flight in about 20 years two weeks ago. I was so happy to learn they had wheelchair assistance. The attendants who pushed us from check in to the departure gate were so pleasant! they asked us if we needed to stop at the restroom, or at a restaurant, and where just so personable. We are both disabled, but can walk short distances. My husband would have never made it to the plane if not for the wheelchair. Never be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Oh, and we did tip them very well.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:41 pm

Karen, welcome to FlyerTalk. I'm glad to hear that you and your husband had a pleasant trip.
Old May 16, 2016, 2:50 pm

Some questions about wheelchair assistance. I recently had Ankle surgery and will be no weight bearing during upcoming multiple leg trip. I will call ahead to request help.

Where do they pick you up for assistance? The less time walking/hopping with crutches, the better.
Will the wheelchair person take me to the club until it is time to board?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old May 16, 2016, 3:09 pm

Sorry to hear about your ankle - I hope it heals up soon. Which airport/airline?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.