Blind Man on My Flight

Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Blind Man on My Flight

On my flight today from SFO to DFW there was a blind man travelling alone.

I don't think I've ever seen that, if you'll excuse the expression.

He easily found his way from row 12 to the 1st class head (he asked on his way through the crew area while boarding - they were very gracious) and back.

But it occurs to me that in an emergency he would literally be dependent on the "kindness of strangers."

Have I just missed this sort of thing in the past?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is more prevalent among us than you think.

No, not more blind people, but the older people on a flight. They won't be getting off a plane very fast.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:29 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by TierFlyer
But it occurs to me that in an emergency he would literally be dependent on the "kindness of strangers."
If you were seated next to him, wouldn't you help him in an emergency? I certainly would, as would most people... Except if he was a jerk; then he's on his own (kidding).
Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:52 pm
mjz

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Platinum
I saw a young, blind man navigating his way through ORD a few weeks back. As I was approaching to offer a hand, another guy beat me to the punch. He extended his arm and assisted the young man to his gate. Not to be cheesy, but it warmed my heart. I'm a sucker for random acts of kindness.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My mother travelled alone by plane several times during her life. She was totally blind. They simply have to ask about things we read the signs for.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:24 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
you just haven't noticed in the past

I've seen it and never thought much about it. It isn't like a lone blind man or woman can drive to their destination.

He easily found his way from row 12 to the 1st class head (he asked on his way through the crew area while boarding - they were very gracious) and back.

Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:28 pm

Lots of deaf folks, too. We blend in a bit better than most blind, but there are some difficulties out there for us, too. One of my biggest peeves is that airports never seem to have marquees repeating the gate/general announcements. Then when your plane isn't where you expect it to be, you ask a GA who proceeds to answer your question whilst looking down at her monitor screen. Sorry, but if I can't see your mouth moving, I can't hear you.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by ralfp
If you were seated next to him, wouldn't you help him in an emergency? I certainly would, as would most people... Except if he was a jerk; then he's on his own (kidding).
It really depends on the emergency, doesn't it? According to the 'What do do in event of a crash' thread, it's every man for himself when the plane stops moving. I'll be more than happy to let the blind person know where to go before the crash, but after that, it's sayonara, baby.

I imagine a blind person has a better chance than I do if the cabin is filled with smoke. They're used to moving about without being able to see where they are going.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 6:13 pm

A number of years ago my wife was on a flight out of BWI and on it were a number of blind persons with their seeing eye dogs. It seems that there had been a convention in Baltimore and they were heading home. It just so happened that the flight had quite a bit of turbulence, which started one or two of the dogs to howl and then a number of the others joined in. Turbulence and howling dogs at night -- an unique combination.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by ND Sol
A number of years ago my wife was on a flight out of BWI and on it were a number of blind persons with their seeing eye dogs. It seems that there had been a convention in Baltimore and they were heading home. It just so happened that the flight had quite a bit of turbulence, which started one or two of the dogs to howl and then a number of the others joined in. Turbulence and howling dogs at night -- an unique combination.
That is awesome!!!! Toss in to the mix some psychadelics and you've got a party!!!!!!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:50 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving to the Disability Forum. Please continue to follow there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:28 am

Since the flight attendants are the last off the plane in any situation, the policy is to check the cabin for any disabled/immobilized pax. They won't get left behind. ^
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:55 am

Programs: One World
My partner is blind and travels alone very often. In case of an emergency he finds his way out without the illuminated stripes on the floor. He could guide the other people in the darkness.

To be serious, in a plane it is easy to find your way if you are blind. And the end of the rows is an emergency exit. A lot of seniors would need more help than my partner.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
In an emergency, I'll grab the blind person to get ME out. I had this happen when the power failed in our offices. My office is an inside one with no window and the hallway to the stairs has no windows. At that time we didn't have emergency lights (do now).

Although I'd walked that hallway hundreds of times with the lights on, I was more than happy when one of our supervisors who is completely blind offered to help me out of the hallway and into the stairs where there were lights. He was checking each office to make sure all got out as we didn't know the cause of the power failure.

We miss him as he went on to a much better job elsewhere.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:48 pm

I've been totally blind since birth and have flown alone since I was 13. I've traveled all over Canada and the US by myself both when using a white cane and since 2000 a guide dog. I think in emergency situations when you have to get off a plane quickly it's an advantage being blind because for example in my case I was told how many rows my seat was from each exit and I wouldn't get disoriented trying to find my way out of a plane in the dark.

Even when I fly now (I had a spinal cord injury in 2004 and have been a wheelchair user since) if my boyfriend is with me and the flight attendant starts telling him that we will have to wait until everyone else is off the plane in the case of an emergency before we are allowed to get off he says "are you kidding?! If that happens I will be following her off the plane and will wait for everyone else to find their way off." This surprises them every time until they realize while everyone else got on the plane without paying that much attention I know exactly where I am sitting, how to get to the nearest exit and would be on the floor and off the plane before anyone else even figured out where they were.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.